EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: What is your fondest memory of the old EC server?
Author
Topic: Migrating to new server
Drysart
Pancake
posted 06-08-2012 10:16:53 PM
I'm going to be moving all this shit onto a new server in the next few days or so. There shouldn't be any side effects, but if you notice anything strange, let me know.

FUN FACTS

The current server has 1GB RAM. The new one has 16GB.

The current server is a Pentium 4. The new one is a Xeon E3-1230.

The current server runs Linux. The new one runs Windows Server 2008 R2, and will run Linux in a VM.

The current server was provisioned on January 24, 2003. Since then it has been rebooted 3 times.

The Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory server was still running. I shut it off though, hope nobody was playing.

The extra server horsepower will be used for top secret projects (DO NOT ASK WHAT THE TOP SECRET PROJECTS ARE).

Damnati
Filthy
posted 06-08-2012 10:18:57 PM
Is there any possibility of migrating to PHPBB or SMF?
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 06-08-2012 10:22:41 PM
Maybe, if people think it's worth it. My plan was to just P2V the current server into a VM on the new one and point an IP address to the VM; but if I'm going to invest effort in doing a conversion I'd rather just get rid of the VM entirely and do something native in Windows.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 06-08-2012 10:29:33 PM
Is the conversion particularly labor intensive? I would think that a native PHPBB installation would utilize fewer resources and require less effort to maintain in the long run.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 06-08-2012 10:36:24 PM
The current forums have a completely homegrown database schema -- the version of UBB I built off of actually stored data in flat text files before I redid the guts of it; so I wouldn't be able to make use of any off-the-shelf conversions. But, on the bright side, it's all already in a SQL database, so the conversion would be relatively easy.

But any target software wouldn't be anything PHP-based. I don't hate myself enough to sign myself up for supporting something written in PHP. I'd likely go with something .NET based, like YAF.NET.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 06-08-2012 10:40:09 PM
Holy crap, ET was still running!?

I missed that game... My fondest PVP memories of all time...

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
nem-x
posted 06-08-2012 10:47:09 PM
Will doing searches bring the forum to its knees?
Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 06-08-2012 10:53:15 PM
Wonder if this would allow us to change our registered email addresses.

Also, obligatory glad to see your still alive.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 06-08-2012 10:58:40 PM
quote:
Drysart had this to say about Optimus Prime:
The current forums have a completely homegrown database schema -- the version of UBB I built off of actually stored data in flat text files before I redid the guts of it; so I wouldn't be able to make use of any off-the-shelf conversions. But, on the bright side, it's all already in a SQL database, so the conversion would be relatively easy.

But any target software wouldn't be anything PHP-based. I don't hate myself enough to sign myself up for supporting something written in PHP. I'd likely go with something .NET based, like YAF.NET.

Single Sign On and a native chat system are pretty neat. I do not know that this particular forum population would care about the new features but, if it is not that hard, it could be pretty nice. Maybe an opinion poll?

Really, any excuse is good enough to avoid running any *NIX in a Windows VM.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 06-08-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 06-08-2012 11:28:19 PM
quote:
Vin~ came out of the closet to say:
Wonder if this would allow us to change our registered email addresses.

I'll fix that tomorrow. Don't really need to have email verification turned on.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-08-2012 11:38:55 PM
Honestly, I thought EC had been virtualized a long time ago. Remarkable how stable it's been...he said as the PSU catastrophically failed. Running a Linux VM in a Windows environment is generally a bad idea, but it fuck it; conversions are easy as hell, and the host hardware is mighty nice.

And I'm not asking, I'm guessing: Minecraft UHC server?

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 06-09-2012 12:41:20 AM
quote:
Karnaj came out of the closet to say:
And I'm not asking, I'm guessing: Minecraft UHC server?

I could put the hardware to work and host a UHC match or two or three before I allocate the resources to other things.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 06-09-2012 08:27:15 AM
Who are you using for a host? I've generally found Hetzner's prices/quality to blow away pretty much everyone else, and they've been around for a while.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 06-09-2012 03:40:23 PM
quote:
Ghost of Forums Past came out of the closet to say:
Who are you using for a host? I've generally found Hetzner's prices/quality to blow away pretty much everyone else, and they've been around for a while.

I got a special deal through a friend at razorservers, but those prices Hetzner has are incredible.

Willias
Pancake
posted 06-11-2012 03:01:18 AM
quote:
Drysart had this to say about Reading Rainbow:

The current server was provisioned on January 24, 2003. Since then it has been rebooted 3 times.

Damn.

And best memory of the forums of what was listed was the Britney Spears prank.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-11-2012 01:27:51 PM
For me it was the RTCW matches.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 06-11-2012 02:19:38 PM
That time I was banned for checking how you handled the URL redirection flaw in preview mode. That was pretty cool.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-11-2012 07:02:12 PM
Will the migration fix the login bug?
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

diadem
eet bugz
posted 06-17-2012 10:57:50 AM
quote:
Bloodsage thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Will the migration fix the login bug?

Not having to log in every time to check my message would be amazing.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Maradon!
posted 06-18-2012 10:54:34 PM
What are the top secret projects?
Drysart
Pancake
posted 06-20-2012 02:06:06 AM
They may or may not involve pie.

On a related note, a bizzaro alternate reality version of the forums is up for a while at forums-rz1.evercrest.com.

Number 1 Poster
posted 06-20-2012 11:23:36 AM
What do you do for employment Mr Drysart?
Maradon!
posted 06-20-2012 07:08:33 PM
Trufax:

32 bit memory addressing schemes supported a maximum of about 4gb of memory addresses.

64 bit schemes support around 16 billion gigs (16 exabytes) of memory addresses.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 06-20-2012 08:06:49 PM
quote:
Parce Is Gay And Uncircumcised came out of the closet to say:
What do you do for employment Mr Drysart?

I provide the people of this community with propane and propane accessories.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 06-20-2012 09:19:02 PM
quote:
Maradon! stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Trufax:

32 bit memory addressing schemes supported a maximum of about 4gb of memory addresses.

64 bit schemes support around 16 billion gigs (16 exabytes) of memory addresses.

Not about. Exact. Binary is very exacting in that respect.

Windows internal memory management however is very... sloppy. System RAM, Video RAM, Cache, etc all are tracked as a single memory pool. It takes a chunk off the top to handle managing memory, then has to do more magic from there. Nothing says fun like building a 32bit windows system with 4gb RAM and a 1gb vid card and seeing it claim 2.5gb of RAM in the system....

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 06-20-2012 09:47:14 PM
That's not a consequence of Windows' memory management; it's a general consequence of an MMIO architecture on any system starved for address space. Your northbridge chip wasn't designed by Microsoft, after all.

I will point out though that the 64-bit CPU sitting on your desk right now can only access 256TB of memory, not 16EB, since all existing AMD64 implementations only use 48 bits for memory addressing. And on Windows, a single process is only given 8TB of address space.

But 8TB ought to be enough for anybody!

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 06-20-2012 10:38:34 PM
quote:
Drysart attempted to be funny by writing:
That's not a consequence of Windows' memory management; it's a general consequence of an MMIO architecture on any system starved for address space. Your northbridge chip wasn't designed by Microsoft, after all.

I will point out though that the 64-bit CPU sitting on your desk right now can only access 256TB of memory, not 16EB, since all existing AMD64 implementations only use 48 bits for memory addressing. And on Windows, a single process is only given 8TB of address space.

But 8TB ought to be enough for anybody!

Fair enough, but most 32bit unix implementations worked around the loss of memory and can allow most of that 4gb to be addressed by user-space software instead of holding at least 256mb 'hostage' for the overhead of the OS performing memory management. At least .25gb is the smallest I've ever seen Windows 'lose' out of 4gb of RAM

And I thought Microsoft got rid of the 8tb process limitation with Win7/2k8R2.. Granted it only really applies to 2k8R2 since what is a "user" going to do on a desktop that needs 8tb of ram any time soon?

Oh, and the hardware may be able to address that much ram, I doubt that the current implementations of Windows will allow that much.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Maradon!
posted 06-21-2012 06:38:11 AM
This is why I specified the addressing scheme and not the hardware.

Also I say "about" because I have also heard 17.2 EB quoted as the maximum address space for a 64 bit scheme.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 06-21-2012 06:47:41 AM
quote:
So quoth Maradon!:
This is why I specified the addressing scheme and not the hardware.

Also I say "about" because I have also heard 17.2 EB quoted as the maximum address space for a 64 bit scheme.

Someone is fucking up their Base2 vs Base10....

Drysart
Pancake
posted 06-21-2012 11:26:52 AM
Well if you want to be precise about it, it's actually 16 EiB, but that whole nonsense came about to cover for the cheap ass hard drive manufacturers.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 06-21-2012 12:35:00 PM
And then you start dropping into "Million" vs "Billion" arguments.

Short System (Standard now): 1E6 = Million, 1E9 = Billion. 1000 millions.

Long System (Old shit, Mostly Euro I think?): 1E6 = Million, 1E12 = Billion. A Million Millions. Or a "Double Million", Bi-llion. Trillion would then be a Million Billions, etc, etc.

Yes, we have fucked up words for things. I'm not sure there's enough /facepalm to cover some of this crap.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-26-2012 01:34:24 AM
Nerds.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 06-29-2012 08:11:20 PM
quote:
nem-x came out of the closet to say:
Will doing searches bring the forum to its knees?

Good news! I've leveraged Apache Lucene so that the new forum's search runs against a separate, specialized search index that won't impact the forum's performance. And it's fast as fuck. I just ran a search for "drysart" on it and got:

quote:
Found 14729 results in 31.43ms.

Hopefully I'll have a preview version up to play with this weekend.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 06-30-2012 08:08:15 PM
Niiiiiiice.
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 08-11-2012 11:01:44 PM
I basically didn't understand any of this thread. You people need to learn to speak American.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-12-2012 08:02:11 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Monica:
I basically didn't understand any of this thread. You people need to learn to speak American.

Bah, you need to learn geek.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 08-12-2012 10:23:37 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator had this to say about Knight Rider:
Bah, you need to learn geek.

'MURICA!

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 09-12-2012 03:41:12 PM
New servers are great! New members to contribute to forum discussions would be better!

How does one advertise a message board dedicated to a game that came out in '99?

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 11-19-2012 10:11:03 PM
After a bit of a delay, Phase One is ready to move forward.

The forums will be down starting at around 1AM EST this coming Saturday morning, and will be down for an indeterminate amount of time (no shorter than 6 hours, hopefully no longer than 12) whilst the data transfer executes.

Once everything's up on the new server, you shouldn't notice any differences, since I'm not updating the forum software yet -- this step is just to P2V the existing server onto a VM on the new server.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 11-19-2012 10:57:47 PM
I'm scared. Where's Snoota to hold me when I need him?
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: