EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Email-based RPG's
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 05-23-2012 06:37:28 PM
A friend sent me an email a few days ago, asking if I'd like to join an email RPG based around the Hunger Games. In the books, there are 24 children or 'Tributes' aged 12 to 18 that are randomly selected to fight to the death in a big arena. The fight takes place over the course of a few weeks, with many contestants dying from starvation, disease or animal attacks, as well as being hunted by other contestants.

In this RPG, we're all playing tributes and are currently being walked through the process of picking our character's skills, personality, etc. I'm having a blast getting into it so far! Each day the DM emails out a list of how the contestants are faring in the training process. Once the games begin, we'll be emailing him our moves, and he'll email us back how things are progressing.

So far it feels like he's actually running this with dice in mind, as many of the things we tried to train for haven't been guaranteed for us to take to.

Surely all 24 characters aren't real people, it'd be too much to write and take in each day. I'm sure he's got at least 10 earmarked for him to play as for RP purposes and to kill off so as to make the game feel real to the actual players. That's the trick though: I don't know how many people are playing, of who is really real.

Anyone have some tips on email-based RPG's?

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 05-23-2012 06:45:48 PM
Find a water source first

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-23-2012 07:45:37 PM
Erm, starvation is a pretty long process. If one is healthy when the process starts, it'll be more than a couple of weeks. So you can cross at least one danger off your list. Not that being malnourished wouldn't affect your ability to fight and do other things, of course....
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 05-28-2012 06:02:26 PM
Well, we made an alliance of 5 people, one of whom was injured and one killed during the initial brawl for weapons and supplies.

The rest scattered different directions with very little if any supplies.

Here's where the drama gets ugly: We're a 4 person team, banding together for safety against the other tributes, but we're all aware that sometime soon we'll have to break the alliance and start fighting each other. My partner and I think we've got a plan for leading our 4 remaining people into a conflict with another group, then running off. With luck they'll kill each other off and leave the survivors injured for us.

This kind of sneaky drama-planning is much more fun than I thought it'd be!

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 05-31-2012 11:10:59 AM
Or you could break the rules and screw the DM over in true Hunger Games style

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 06-01-2012 12:51:24 PM
quote:
How.... Lyinar Ka`Bael.... uughhhhhh:
Or you could break the rules and screw the DM over in true Hunger Games style

Yeah, reading the books for the first time is helping make a lot more sense about what the arena's doing and whatnot.

I was a little thrown at first when it started out as a frozen tundra, and the next day became a blooming field, then withered under intense heat. Seems he's going for a constantly shifting weather theme, which is pretty interesting.

My partner and I broke off the 4-person group, and just saw a former ally's face broadcasted in the sky the next evening. Feels strangely guilty knowing I probably indirectly killed a former ally via abandonment.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 06-10-2012 12:30:57 PM
Totally won the RPG, then was invited by the GM to a party celebrating the ending of the RPG, during which I was occasionally boo'd and hissed at for our team killing about 13 of the 24 players. Haters gonna hate.

Overall, great time. Sad to see it wrap up.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: