EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Mort's Movie Corner
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-01-2012 11:10:15 AM
Small but concise reviews because I'm lazy.

Midnight in Paris

I normally don't like Woody Allen movies (he wrote the screenplay to this) but I rented this on a whim and actually quite enjoyed it! It's light hearted and fun, romantic but not enough to make the male audience retch, and genuinely funny in parts. Watch if you like Woody Allen films or just want a nice easy going movie to watch with your SO. The acting from the "guest" actors is superb.

Tree of Life

I've only watched half of this so far (it's on pause right now) but it's blowing me away. It should be boring shit, but it's not, it's downright enthralling. There is a little bit of God-bothering in there but the movie is more or less about the miracle of life and leaves the notion of God up to the individual viewer. It's like two hours of the mind fuck part from Space Odyssey 2001, or at least the hour I've watched so far is. The visuals are amazing, especially the space vistas, and the cinematography is nothing short of genius. This is NOT a movie for people who want explosions and guns, looks elsewhere. A good movie for when you're stoned? Definately.

Let me know what movies I should be watching as I'm running out of them! I like to watch movies while I eat dinner, so anything goes if you think I'll like it. I recently acquired the Studio Ghibli collection from a friend so will watch that, as the only anime I've ever actually enjoyed was a Ghibli film (The Cat Returns, I believe). It's so wacky you can't help but enjoy it. Fucking furries.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-01-2012 11:17:19 AM
Taken

Liam Neeson as a good action movie actor to rival and surpass Stallone and Schwarzenegger? Well I never. This is pretty much a remake of Commando (Schwarzenegger, 1985) but in a modern setting with different enemies and less 80's cheese. Liam Neeson can kick some serious ass. A good action movie that was slightly overlooked and deserved more praise.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-01-2012 05:22:58 PM
Spirited Away is one of my favorite movies evar, and it's studio Ghibli, IIRC. Howl's Moving Castle is also quite good, as is Princess Mononoke.

I also just re-watched Sucker Punch, and aside from the eye candy aspect and pretty mediocre acting, the movie itself is amazingly well constructed from a narrative standpoint, in keeping with the underlying conceit. Even the B-movie aspects can be rationalized pretty easily, when one considers in whose mind they originate.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 05-02-2012 12:05:46 AM
Sucker Punch (1) Lived up to the title. (2) Was an excellent eye-candy action flick until the last 15 minutes (See item 1).

If you went to it expecting more than eye-candy and random asskicking, then you were going to be disappointed. They painted enough story to string the action sequences together, and barely that. It was when they tried to actually claim "oh there was a story here" at the end that it fell on its face.

And in general, you can't go wrong with Ghibli.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 05-02-2012 08:51:38 AM
I saw the title and got my hopes up, thinking you finally started your own review site.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-02-2012 09:14:45 AM
quote:
And now, we sprinkle Mortious liberally with Old Spice!
Taken

Liam Neeson as a good action movie actor to rival and surpass Stallone and Schwarzenegger? Well I never. This is pretty much a remake of Commando (Schwarzenegger, 1985) but in a modern setting with different enemies and less 80's cheese. Liam Neeson can kick some serious ass. A good action movie that was slightly overlooked and deserved more praise.

I love that movie. It is an awesome laugh riot.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-02-2012 09:35:53 AM
quote:
Ghost of Forums Past said:
I saw the title and got my hopes up, thinking you finally started your own review site.

I'd like to, but it would be updated less than VG Cats.

Just don't have the time to devote to it.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 05-02-2012 03:41:13 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Duck Tales:
I love that movie. It is an awesome laugh riot.

Looking forwards to Taken 2?

Maradon!
posted 05-03-2012 09:37:59 AM
quote:
Khyroning:
Looking forwards to Taken 2?

Taken 2: Taken Harder

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-03-2012 11:09:33 AM
quote:
Maradon! got served! Maradon! got served!
Taken 2: Taken Harder

Except it's Liam Neeson who gets kidnapped and his daughter has to beat everyone to death to save him.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 05-03-2012 03:52:02 PM
quote:
Verily, Karnaj doth proclaim:
Except it's Liam Neeson who gets kidnapped and his daughter has to beat everyone to death to save him.

You're not all that far off from the truth

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: