EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Where can I find large sheets of laminate?
Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 04-30-2012 02:50:15 AM
I'm looking to set up two spots of my house where the walls can be drawn on freely by covering them with sheets of laminate, the bigger of the two being about 4' x 8'. Do any of you happen to know where I can buy large sheets of laminate for this purpose? So far Office Max has the largest reel of it I've found, at 2' wide.

Alternatives are also totally welcome, the idea is to keep it cheap and keep it something that won't destroy any hope for getting my deposit on this apartment back.

The purpose is so that the wall in my bedroom is a whiteboard, essentially, where I can do homework, plot out various whargarbl, etc...and the second, smaller one will be used almost exclusively for DnD.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Razor
posted 04-30-2012 09:11:58 AM
I'll suggest some large plastic sheets that you can use, and paint on the whiteboard paint you can get at the local Lowes or Home Depot
Ridout Plastics
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 04-30-2012 09:12:14 AM
This project sounds awesome! I had heard of a white-board paint, but it sounds like that wouldn't jive with your apartment situation.

Maybe get large boards of wood, paint them with Idea Paint or this stuff. Then anchor the boards to your wall?

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 04-30-2012 03:02:37 PM
IdeaPaint is the ideal solution, even in an apartment. Ask your landlord if they require you to put it back to primer, if you can paint, etc. Putting a layer of laminate on your wall would be about 30x harder than just straight putting IdeaPaint on it, and putting it back to primer later.

I have a 13'x10' section of my living room painted with it. Takes a week to cure, but it is SO worth it. If your landlord wants it back the way it was, you can make a case that the next tenant will want it, otherwise it is a straight sand and paint-over job to make your apartment respectable again. Small tip if you do go this route: Apply thickly, measure thrice what you need to cover so you are sure, and don't mix a drop before you can do it all in one go. If you apply it too thinly to a section, that spot will get harder and harder to erase, you only get an hour from mixing to paint it all, and the smell is terrifying.

Best of luck. It makes a bitching whiteboard. The only problem nowadays is finding non "Low odor" markers...

Delphi Aegis fucked around with this message on 04-30-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Peter
Pancake
posted 05-01-2012 05:30:57 PM
http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastics/=hclowt If gonna go that way would say ABS or Polyethylene film

The paint may be the nicest way, but also a good way to say bye bye to your deposit.

You may want to try a local marina if they have white shrink film for winterizeing/transporting boats. It's fairly cheap, and marina's usally buy it on the bulk anyways. would say then just tack it up,
Or rig a frame or plywood sheet and shrink it on, hell the marina might do it for ya anyways with one of their guns. If not a propane torch and a deffuser tip works wonder, just don't get to close and use a heavy leather/welders glove to smooth out as you work.

Peter fucked around with this message on 05-01-2012 at 05:36 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: