EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Tribes: Ascend
Maradon!
posted 04-24-2012 11:23:06 AM
It's free, it's new, and god damn if it does not satisfy that craving for blue projectiles of death.

You can go to this link to get 250 free moneycash just by liking the game on facebook. This can buy you a class or some tidbits.

I'm in there with some ponies, my name is Friedman.

Almost everything that can be unlocked with gold can also be unlocked with xp, albeit a lot of xp. Boosters are a better value than gold unlocks so if you buy anything, buy those. You get a free one when you pay $30 or more, and paying any money at all grants you VIP status which itself comes with an XP boost so the end result is triple XP for thirty or ninety days.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 04-24-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Maradon!
posted 04-24-2012 11:44:38 AM
Oh yeah, I guess I should whore out my referral link

Click here so I can get money.

Maradon!
posted 04-24-2012 12:51:12 PM
Some observations so far:

The default sniper rifle is ammunition based. Fully charged it hits for 300 damage, compared to the new weenie blaster which does 250 damage and the technician base SMG which does 80 damage per round. Some people seem to make it work, but to me the only thing a sentinel is very good at shooting is other sentinels. I have no experience with the expensive upgraded rifle, but it's energy based and I am not optimistic.

Nobody ever, ever plays technician. It starts with an ultra-repair gun and a highly accurate long range SMG. And I do mean long range, I am able to shoot clear across a few maps. With a fairly cheap perk, the repair gun does large damage to enemy base assets as well. If you want to be a real prick, infiltrate an enemy base and set up a defensive position inside their gen room, which generally has only one way in or out.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 04-24-2012 06:22:14 PM
Some Observations I've made:

The game is a real successor to T1 and T2. Playing classic maps like Raindance brings me back to 2001!

If you're looking to defend, try flag chasing as a Pathfinder. The Jumper pack gives a burst of forward speed at the cost of energy, and with disc jumps you can go from 0 to 180 in a heartbeat. Try the Egocentric Perk to avoid gimping yourself.

When chasing, concussion grenades are a must. They're like normal grenades, but do less damage in a wider area; and also knocks the flag loose from enemy flag carriers.

They released an update to Infiltrators, the game's sneaky rogue-class, a few weeks ago. The update gave interesting new weapons and cosmetic skins to look more badass.

Yesterday a new content patch was introduced for the Raider; it includes a more accurate, scoped rifle and the classic Plasma Rifle from old Tribes lore. (It shoots much faster than the old-school plasma rifle, but does lots of damage in a small radius.)

Overall I'm super excited about the continued development of Tribes: Ascend, and can't wait for an update to engineers and pathfinders. I'll look for you in-game Maradon, I go by 'Fatty'.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Maradon!
posted 04-24-2012 09:02:47 PM
Yeah, this uses the Unreal engine again, and yet it manages to feel like Tribes where Vengeance felt like a barely disguised UT2K3 mod.

Incidentally, you guys can use my mumble server at Cloudsdale.Mumblefrag.com

I set up channel 8 for tribes use. My wow guild still uses it but there are 25 seats so it should only be a problem if we get a really rockin game going during a raid.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 04-24-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 04-25-2012 06:42:23 PM
A tech with a thumper is a force to be reckoned with, mmhmm. A good tech with the pilot and wheel deal perk can roll out a tank with just 2100 credits. I've gotten a few good killing sprees over maps with that (Especially on raindance) but haven't gotten to the 30 one yet (The match always ends..).

Oh, and putting a jugg on the back of a gravbike in Temple Ruins is the new Jug on back of a bomber. If you want to do flag defence, you can shove a doombringer on back, keep them grounded with the missle launcher and run them over.

Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 04-26-2012 07:40:22 AM
Been playing it off and on now whenever I need a fps fix. Usually play a thumper tech or disc infil, since I can't aim for shit. My favorite is killing someone by slapping sticky nades on them.
Willias
Pancake
posted 04-26-2012 11:34:10 PM
If you haven't unlocked the Spinfusor for the Soldier class, see if you can get a key here.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 04-27-2012 09:59:32 AM
I played Tribes: Ascend for a bit, and aside from the nostalgia factor, I much prefer Super Monday Night Combat.
nem-x
posted 04-27-2012 11:15:58 PM
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-27-2012 11:20:32 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Delphi Aegis absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
A tech with a thumper is a force to be reckoned with, mmhmm.

I take it only the Holy Hand Grenade can counter this beast?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

nem-x
posted 04-28-2012 12:50:22 AM
My first match. Apparently people are terrible at this game. I have no idea what the ski button does compared to doing it old style.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-28-2012 03:45:27 AM
quote:
From the book of nem-x, chapter 3, verse 16:
My first match. Apparently people are terrible at this game.

Yeah, despite being really bad at this game I always end up in the upper half. Kinda refreshing to see people that suck more than me in a FPS any multiplayer game.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 04-28-2012 11:58:54 AM
Just finished a few rounds, and overall this will come off as a rant but it echoes what some people are saying on the boards.

They need to nerf automatic weapons like the Doombringer's chaingun, and the tech and raider's SMGs.

It feels really satisfying to duel a group of enemies when everyone's using a spinfusor, grenade launcher, plasma rifle or similar weapons.

Conversely, it feels very cheap when being gunned down in a hail of bullets from someone in heavy armor that doesn't need to worry about movement, timing or ammo as he lol's and collects an easy kill.

That said, there is a place for machine guns: Close range. Think of them as shotguns in that they should get less effective the further away the target is. Ramp up the damage, along with the spread. Anything up close gets torn up, and you'd only fire at something forty yards away in desperation.

It's a minor gripe though, I use the same guns and feel bad when killing someone who really can't do much about it.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
nem-x
posted 04-28-2012 12:03:12 PM
I did find it was pretty easy to kill people with the engineer's 28 round bullet gun, even though it only did 80dmg per pellet.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: