EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Apocoplay Demo thread
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-17-2012 07:41:40 AM
This is where I posts tech demos and eventually playtests to get feedback from all of you.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-17-2012 07:45:32 AM
Tech Test 1: Flash Support

Does this run smoothly? Does it load? Is it intuitive? I've got my assumptions here but want to keep my mouth shut until I hear it from the public.

Don't worry about the fact you can find a way to fall off the world, the textures aren't right, there's no glass or reflection yet, you can't pick up and throw a basketball yet, etc. This is a technology test, not a gameplay demo.

The point of this tech test is to see
- Does my target audience have flash installed?
- Is the gameplay choppy in flash?
- Does it load in a reasonable amount of time or is it too slow?

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-17-2012 07:59:28 AM
Test #2: Chrome Native Support.

Same as above, but with the Chrome web browser and no plugins at all.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-17-2012 08:01:49 AM
Test #3: Standard windows executable.

Same as above, but for running on windows x86. (Skipping windows 64 bit test if 32 bit runs fine)

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-17-2012 08:05:16 AM
Test #4 Standard Mac App

As above, Mac OS-X

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-17-2012 08:06:32 AM
Will post mobile versions (iPhone, iPad, Droid, Blackberry) later.

I miss anything else major?

Windows Phone and Windows 8 are in the works, but not yet supported. XBox version is a possibility but there will be licensing issues preventing me from connecting to users from the droid/iphone/facebook/kongergate/steam/etc, so it's in the back burner for now.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 04-17-2012 at 08:08 AM.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 04-17-2012 08:18:55 AM
quote:
Ghost of Forums Past must think they're pretty smart:

Does this run smoothly? Does it load? Is it intuitive? I've got my assumptions here but want to keep my mouth shut until I hear it from the public.

Don't worry about the fact you can find a way to fall off the world, the textures aren't right, there's no glass or reflection yet, you can't pick up and throw a basketball yet, etc. This is a technology test, not a gameplay demo.

The point of this tech test is to see
- Does my target audience have flash installed?
- Is the gameplay choppy in flash?
- Does it load in a reasonable amount of time or is it too slow?

Uhm, I figured out how to walk around and jump. Not sure what there is to intuit. Loads fast enough, runs smoothly. A few of the objects looked pure white, not sure if that was untextured or an error.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-17-2012 08:21:13 AM
quote:
Blindy. wrote this stupid crap:
Uhm, I figured out how to walk around and jump. Not sure what there is to intuit. Loads fast enough, runs smoothly. A few of the objects looked pure white, not sure if that was untextured or an error.

What platform did you test?

- Thanks about the walk and jump part. That was the answer I was expecting, I didn't want to mention it straight off and make it a leading question
- They are just untextured. I didn't bother texturing everything (or even putting the right textures on everything) because it's just a tech test.

What I really cared about is the fact it loaded without issue. Everything else can be taken care of from a design standpoint. No point getting deep into building something that has a broken foundation. Wanted to make sure that wasn't the case before I spent any time on it

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 04-17-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 04-17-2012 09:16:11 AM
CPU: 1.73GHz
RAM: 3GB
32 bit Windows Vista (SP2)
Display: Mobile Intel 965 Express
Monitor resolution: 1920x1280

quote:

Runs, but is painfully choppy on an six year old machine (work laptop) that doesn't otherwise struggle with webgames. Mouse sensitivity is so extreme that panning the mouse slowly across the screen from left to right (once) could involve somewhere between 10-20 360 degree character rotations. Otherwise intuitive, loads quickly (although I didn't know it immediately because I was facing up and the screen was just a solid mass of brown). Completely unusable. Performance: 1/10.

quote:
Test #2: Chrome Native Support.

Unity Web Player was not pre-installed, leading to a 500KB download and 1 second install time. No chop whatsoever, but some (possibly intended?) acceleration delay on arrow key movement which makes movement awkward but practical. Mouse sensitivity high, 3 character rotations from a left-to-right pan. Was capable of exploring the entire environment. Loaded quickly. Performance: 7/10.

quote:
Test #3: Standard windows executable.

Identical to Unity Web Player in performance. Download size and install process painless.

Both Unity Players would be 10/10 with reduced mouse sensitivity or manual control over it, and very responsive keyboard-movement acceleration (similar to what I've come to expect from a FPS).

I can post the output_log file if needed.

Inferno-Spirit fucked around with this message on 04-17-2012 at 09:22 AM.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-20-2012 07:45:47 AM
Inferno, the native chrome support should not require an install at all if you were using the chrome browser. The main concern is that people will see they have to hit yes to download a plugin and leave.

Were you using chrome and if so were still prompted to install a plugin?

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 04-20-2012 07:48:08 AM
quote:
Ghost of Forums Past needs the precioussses:
Inferno, the native chrome support should not require an install at all if you were using the chrome browser. The main concern is that people will see they have to hit yes to download a plugin and leave.

I was also prompted to install the unity plugin.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 04-20-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 04-20-2012 09:14:53 AM
quote:

Yes. Yes.

See Blindy's screenshot. The link prompts you with a ~580K download (UnityWebPlayer.exe) that leads to an entry in Control Panel->Programs.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
diadem
eet bugz
posted 04-21-2012 08:53:21 PM
Test #5: Network test (cloud solution, scalabe)

Test a: 10PM EST 4/11
Test b: 10AM EST 4/12

Objective: Make sure people can join the lobby and play with others.

diadem fucked around with this message on 04-21-2012 at 08:57 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
diadem
eet bugz
posted 04-21-2012 09:17:04 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Blindy. stammered:
[qb]I was also prompted to install the unity plugin.
/qb]

Ah, this is the native client. It looks like it's buggy at the moment, though

Seems chrome native is disabled by default for items that don't go through the chrome native store. Can turn it on via chrome://flags/

diadem fucked around with this message on 04-21-2012 at 09:20 PM.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 04-21-2012 09:31:32 PM
Since people are asking... yes you have axes... but no you cannot attack.

This is just a test to see if multiplayer works, not a game. The level, characters, and everything else (save maybe the lobby system) will never be used again. Only the engine matters.

diadem fucked around with this message on 04-21-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-28-2012 11:24:03 AM
Spoiler
Came up with a theme, here's a primitive proof of concept for the alpha
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-28-2012 12:56:58 PM
Flash version is up. Droid version coming soon. Development will be parallel.

Expect links in a day or two .

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: