EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Any of you guys play ST:O?
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-17-2012 09:08:31 AM
When it went F2P, I decided to give it a go. Honestly, it's more fun than I thought it'd be. I kinda wish that space combat was true 3D, but then again, maybe that would get confusing.

So, since it's free, I find that I'm able to overlook the annoying parts. A good timewaster, and less addictive than Minecraft.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-17-2012 09:26:30 AM
Guess those lifetime subbers really got shafted, eh?

I played it at release because I enjoyed the beta, but it got old pretty quickly and I found it quite boring. Though since they've added more science missions (I was a science officer) I might reactivate my character. It made so sense for my science character to be fighting in EVERY mission, which is one of the reasons I stopped playing.

Mightion Defensor
posted 02-17-2012 12:34:31 PM
I've been having great fun with it. They've added so much, like the featured episodes, lots of new ships, missions, duty officer system, etc, etc.... not to mention all the user-made stuff in the Foundry.

Sure, the game has got some issues (many relating to the DX11 migration); and Cryptic still tends to put out "Half" of a new feature, and then never get around to adding the rest (Ship interiors, Department heads), but a lot of the new ships, like the Odyssey class, are just amazing to look at.

Oh, last week's Featured Episode series started out with... Remember those 2800 Jem'Hadar ships that disappeared in the wormhole? They're back....

Tomorrow's episode in the series will be based on the new Bajor ground map.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-17-2012 02:35:15 PM
Huh.. I might just give it a try then.

Wonder how they can keep it running for free though. Micro-transactions?

Peter
Pancake
posted 02-17-2012 03:12:22 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Mortious!
Huh.. I might just give it a try then.

Wonder how they can keep it running for free though. Micro-transactions?

Micro transactions and you can still pay the subscription fee so you get un limited access to the game. otherwise for free you have some limitations though nothing to severe i wold think if they run it like they did champions online.

EQ2 as free to play still seems to Gimp you a ton, DCUO seems to rather the same outside not buying stuff from auction house.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 02-17-2012 04:41:04 PM
Played it for a while a year ago. Stopped some time after I got my Akira.

Spacebattles are fun, the rest not do much.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mightion Defensor
posted 02-17-2012 06:00:59 PM
If you haven't played it in a year, you've missed an awful lot. Besides the episode series, ships, Doff system, etc etc, you missed the ground combat revamp.
nem-x
posted 02-17-2012 07:09:30 PM
nem-x
posted 02-17-2012 07:11:54 PM
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 02-17-2012 08:07:33 PM
I'm thrilled that it went free to play. It already had an item mall, so nothing changed there.

I haven't been big into anything lately, but I've been logging in twice daily to do my duty officer missions. And next time I get into a starshippy mood, it'll be there waiting!

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Dave
)_(
posted 02-25-2012 02:58:23 PM
How different is the ground combat now? On the ground combat killed any taste that I had for the game.
Mightion Defensor
posted 02-25-2012 03:36:14 PM
quote:
Dave wrote their words upon the rocks;
How different is the ground combat now? On the ground combat killed any taste that I had for the game.

Well... they finally fixed long standing bugs which made ground combat near impossible for some (Lts and Commander mobs doing 4-digit AOE damage), and added "Shooter mode" (which I don't use). They also made a lot of changes to weapons and such, plus with the new "mandatory" skill points you have to spend on ground skills, it has all made ground combat "doable" for my engineer, instead of "impossible."

Didn't make it fun for me, though.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: