EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Keyboards!
nem-x
posted 01-03-2012 06:33:33 PM
So I just ordered a cherry red from http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

How retarded am I

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 01-03-2012 07:36:50 PM
I'm trying to figure out what's so great about it.
nem-x
posted 01-03-2012 07:55:48 PM
I didn't think much about keyboards until I watched this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sktd_jd4Rd4 (His comparison about ball mice later in the video is what got me)

Bunch of sperg stuff

These mechanical switches are supposed to be a lot more responsive by way of magic. I've never used one before aside from the old Chunk Chunk keyboards from way back when.

nem-x fucked around with this message on 01-03-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-03-2012 10:34:37 PM
Years ago I'd have been all over that. I've missed my mechanicals. Now I'm used to the G11/G15/G15v2 that I have on my systems and the shite Dell keyboards at work. :| If I ever decide to get back into "serious gaming" I'll probably have to pick one up....

Sadly I note there are no options for extra keys or programmable keys. Ah well, can't have everything I guess.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
nem-x
posted 01-03-2012 10:44:41 PM
There's a Corsair K90 which is for mmos and has cherry reds. But not all the keys are mechanical which is kinda dumb
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-03-2012 11:15:54 PM
Why did you choose reds over browns? They seem to be basically quieter blues, which seems perfect
nem-x
posted 01-03-2012 11:30:11 PM
I have no frame of reference for any of the switch types really. I figure reds would be the most drastic change compared to membrane keyboards.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-04-2012 12:18:02 AM
quote:
How.... nem-x.... uughhhhhh:
So I just ordered a cherry red from http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

How retarded am I

Not at all retarded. I have one of their keyboards with cherry blues, and love it. Yes, I know blues are louder and clickier. I actually like that, though, so it makes me happy.

He makes good stuff, and provides great service. The price is well worth it. Did you customize the keycaps on yours at all?

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-04-2012 02:41:55 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when nem-x wrote:
There's a Corsair K90 which is for mmos and has cherry reds. But not all the keys are mechanical which is kinda dumb

Yeah, just looked at it... the F keys not being mech I can understand, but the MMO keys not being mech... wtf? That's part of the selling point of the board... why not make them mechanicals as well?

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-04-2012 03:31:24 AM
I'm hearing a lot of good stuff regarding mechanical keyboards. However, as I am using my PC in the same room my girlfriend is working in, it would probably drive her mad rather quickly.

So yeah, I continue using my 10$ Microsoft keyboard.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-04-2012 01:08:51 PM
quote:
Tarquinn thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
I'm hearing a lot of good stuff regarding mechanical keyboards. However, as I am using my PC in the same room my girlfriend is working in, it would probably drive her mad rather quickly.

So yeah, I continue using my 10$ Microsoft keyboard.

Go get a keyboard from wasdkeyboards with o ring silencers and Cherry MX brown switches, and your problems will be solved. Browns are the 'silent' switch with the mechanical feel. I think Reds are also silent (the ones nem got).

http://elitekeyboards.com/support.php?lang=en#1a talks about the different switches and such.

Heck, even without the sound dampener o-rings, the brown switches should be pretty silent.

nem-x
posted 01-04-2012 07:31:16 PM
Didn't really spend that much time customizing it since I never really look at the keyboard.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-04-2012 09:33:46 PM
Here's what mine looks like. The black keys are being replaced (the first batch from there had issues, but the newer versions are much nicer. The guy that runs the show is awesome and replacing my entire set of black keys. He's pretty good at the whole customer service thing. With what you pay, I'd definitely hope he would be. I'm loving this keyboard so much -- had it for about 2 months now, since I built my new system.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-05-2012 04:23:25 AM
Looks like a teenager built it in his garage from spare parts.

Sorry guys. It does.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 01-05-2012 11:22:14 AM
The first thing I would do is rename the capslock key "TOGGLE SHOUTING"
Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 01-09-2012 02:59:51 PM

Vallo, the Second Coming fucked around with this message on 01-09-2012 at 03:03 PM.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
nem-x
posted 01-09-2012 06:47:51 PM
I laughed when I first opened my box because it looks like I shat out a candy corn keyboard, and I hate candy corn.

Compared to regular keyboards, instead of pressing keys, it feels like it just flows since there's no hard resistance at all. But, all the reviews about people saying they press keys on accident all the time because of the light trigger are dumb. I was kind of expecting feather touches to activate keys, but you have to go almost halfway down. Anyways, it's actually fairly heavy, and the grips underneath make it not want to slide at all around my keyboard tray at all. The shift keys feel a little mushy compared to the standard ones.

Typing speed seems to improve by a bit, but I don't use homerow and pretty much only use my index/middle fingers to type. I averaged around 100-110wpm before, up to 140wpm on easy sentences to type. Seems I can get 115-120 pretty consistently now, probably faster if I learn to just halfway press each key to get to the next.

nem-x
posted 01-09-2012 09:51:01 PM
ohoho this thing owns for fps
Blindy.
posted 01-10-2012 09:08:56 AM
I have been considering getting one, but that's a pretty steep price.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 01-10-2012 09:26:21 AM
I've got a G15 Keyboard, used mostly to play FPS's nowadays though I may pick up SC2 again later. Are these boards for me?
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Blindy.
posted 01-10-2012 09:49:00 AM
The G15 is pretty good in that you can hold down like 20 keys at the same time and not have any ghosting. The only thing you would realistically gain with a mechanical switch keyboard is the better key feel.

Microsoft made this great tool for looking for ghosting on your keyboard.

nem-x
posted 01-10-2012 07:36:04 PM
The Corsair one is supposed to have that 20 key deal too, and the fps version of the keyboard is only 100bucks.

I'd recommend a mechanical keyboard only if you do a lot of gaming or have to type a lot everyday and have money to blow.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-10-2012 10:33:09 PM
quote:
Blindy. attempted to be funny by writing:
The G15 is pretty good in that you can hold down like 20 keys at the same time and not have any ghosting. The only thing you would realistically gain with a mechanical switch keyboard is the better key feel.

Microsoft made this great tool for looking for ghosting on your keyboard.

I find they kinda have an opposite.... I can hold down a buttload of keys, but some keys start to not respond. Example: holding WASD down, O stops responding. Release any ONE of WASD, O starts working.

Still, how often would I need to hold down all of WASD and still need O to function?

Blindy.
posted 01-11-2012 09:24:40 AM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator likes to say stupid stuff like:
I find they kinda have an opposite.... I can hold down a buttload of keys, but some keys start to not respond. Example: holding WASD down, O stops responding. Release any ONE of WASD, O starts working.

Still, how often would I need to hold down all of WASD and still need O to function?

When a company is making a keyboard, they have to pick which keys will be able to be pressed together. Usually, they are very smart about letting WASD all be recognized with top priority, even on non "gaming" keyboards, but after that all bets are off.

The problem generally comes in when you are trying to crouch, move diagonally, and throw a grenade or open your inventory or something. But if you test your common key press combinations and find no ghosting then hey, be happy with your keyboard.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 01-11-2012 at 09:25 AM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: