EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So I finally watched Friendship is Magic
Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 11-13-2011 01:50:44 AM
I watched episode one and two. It's okay I suppose.

Does it get much better later on? I really don't see the reasoning behind the craze. Does watching two episodes make me a "Brony"?

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-13-2011 04:38:40 AM
Same here. Watched the pilot, don't see the magic. It's a really high quality show for kids, though.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-13-2011 04:59:36 AM
Bronies love it because it's, for the lack of a better term, meme-tastic.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 11-13-2011 07:31:23 AM
I had no idea what you guys were talking about so I looked it up in IMDB. I originally assumed it was some comedy sketch by someone like Sarah Silverman. I got my answer and now have one more question to ask.

What. The. Fuck, guys?

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 11-13-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-13-2011 07:58:11 AM
1 and 2 are kinda... "Meh". I had the same question. Was told to keep watching. Watched through ep 17 rather fast, then hit the "Cutie Mark Crusaders" crap and couldn't continue.

It's cute, it's funny, it's meme-able as hell... but I can't stand those 3 little shits. They're too annoying. And since skipping 17 and going to 18 didn't seem to change the focus of the show, I stopped trying to watch it.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Maradon!
posted 11-13-2011 09:00:46 AM
I think the problem is that you are expecting something more than an entertaining children's show.

The way I see it, the adult appeal is a combination of things: The art and voice acting are all very good, the stories are childish but not insipid, and the characters are cute without seeming patronizing.

It's as much about what the show doesn't have as what it does. It's decidedly adorable but it manages to avoid seeming insulting toward an adult intellect.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 11-13-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 11-13-2011 11:30:38 AM
I have been putting on an episode of this show for my Kindergarten class after lunch time. (So they don't jump around the room while I'm cleaning up the room from lunch.)

They adore it, and not just the girls.

Prior to MLP:FIM though, I put on Phineas and Ferb. I haven't given MLP a super fair shot as I can't watch it while cleaning, it doesn't make me laugh as often as Phineas and Ferb's witty dialogue.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-14-2011 01:17:02 AM
quote:
From the book of Maradon!, chapter 3, verse 16:
I think the problem is that you are expecting something more than an entertaining children's show.

When something causes me pain, I stop subjecting myself to it. I don't like them as characters, I don't like their story hook, they're annoying....

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 11-14-2011 10:44:01 AM
Never really been a fan, and can't see the "draw" to it nowadays.
Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 11-14-2011 12:33:53 PM
FWIW, I hear from a reliable source that Season 2, episodes 1 and 2 have John Delancie (Q, from Star Trek) playing as what amounts to a cartoon version of Q. I've heard very good things about his character and his voice work being spot on.
nem-x
posted 11-14-2011 06:21:25 PM
Maradon!
posted 11-14-2011 06:54:27 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Random Insanity Generator who doth quote:
When something causes me pain, I stop subjecting myself to it. I don't like them as characters, I don't like their story hook, they're annoying....

I wasn't talking to you.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 11-14-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-14-2011 08:30:15 PM
I once met John Delancie in London by random chance two years ago, apparently he was over here for a convention in the Excel Expo Centre.

Course he was coming out of a public toilet at the time so anything more than a "Oh, you're John Delancie, I thought you were great as Q" and a "thank you, I'm at the Excel Expo Centre later if you want to come by" in return is pushing the boundary of public toilet etiquette.

Maradon!
posted 11-14-2011 08:34:30 PM
Love your work baby let's do lunch have your people call my people
Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 11-17-2011 02:21:40 PM
I just woke up at 11 am thinking it was Friday and that I had an early meeting to attend to. -_-
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: