EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: WoW, Transmogrification, and STYYYYYYLE
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 08-19-2011 10:52:10 AM
Dunno how many people play WoW or keep up with the news, so here's a post for those who care :

Transmogrifiers are being added to WoW, which allow you to convert an armor piece to look like a different armor piece. Stats remain unchanged. People are going nuts thinking about how much fun it'll be to wear around their favorite old item sets.

Well, there's a fun little website that someone else showed me that makes this even better : http://roleplaygear.wordpress.com/

Browsing through the different items has already given me some fun ideas for changing all my armor. I'm going to be the prettiest mage in the game~

Khyron fucked around with this message on 08-19-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Mightion Defensor
posted 08-19-2011 01:53:40 PM
Figures they'd announce something like this when I am going to have to cancel WoW at the end of this month. :/ My pally has been holding on to his Lightforge set for years, literally, and I got my mage the Sorcerer's set during a period of extreme boredom. :/
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 08-19-2011 04:56:09 PM
It sounds like a good goal, but from what I understand it involves destroying your old armor sets to put their model over your current ones.

I quit a while ago, but I don't think I would like destroying my Benediction and favorite items from waybackwhen, period. If they showed the model without destroying 'em, I'd be all for it.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Skaw
posted 08-19-2011 10:40:40 PM
Sounds like a dumb move on Blizzards part(the destroying the items part.) Would it really be that difficult to add in Costume slots to the equipment GUI?

Skaw fucked around with this message on 08-19-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-19-2011 10:43:11 PM
quote:
Skaw had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Sounds like a dumb move on Blizzards part(the destroying the items part.) Would it really be that difficult to add in Costume slots to the equipment GUI?

For WoW? yes. Because they can't add something that another game (Rift) has for fear of further backlash/bitching/QQ

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-20-2011 12:07:33 AM
From what I gather, it doesn't destroy the item, but makes it un-usable. Like, it is attached to that slot. If you un-transmogrify it, I'm pretty sure you get the item back. Not 100% certain on that, but I remember reading that somewhere
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-20-2011 02:18:37 AM
If that's the route they take I don't see it being a problem other than it's slightly lazy coding (but probably a metric FUCKTON of DB space savings).

Question a friend of mine had when I mentioned the void storage and transmog was "When are they going to allow me to dye shit?". I see there's still no word on that.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Peter
Pancake
posted 08-21-2011 02:06:58 AM
I haven't heard anything about it destroying any thing. best I can tell is that while your have an item altered both become soul bound, and you can restore an item back. Also cannot use the legendary items, they are apperantly a totally diffrent sort of item.
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 08-22-2011 04:01:53 PM
It doesn't destroy anything really.

All it does is strip the item of enchantments, gems, and added sockets. It's purely for database simplification since they don't have to track it with a unique item code once it's been reduced to the base item in the void storage database.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 08-23-2011 07:53:58 AM
I'm so glad I quit wow.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-25-2011 08:31:12 PM
Knowing the way Blizzard handles things like this, the player won't get to choose what the end result looks like. It will either be random, or a fixed conversion. Glad I quit WoW a while back. If you're not going to do it right, don't bother doing it at all, Blizz.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Khyron
posted 08-25-2011 10:32:12 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Knight Rider:
Knowing the way Blizzard handles things like this, the player won't get to choose what the end result looks like.

Nope. You use an old item to make a new item look like it. People are doing shitloads of retro raids to collect old Tier gear so they can use their favorite tier set.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3309048

Also blizz is talking about options for people who've gotten rid of old gear they want back (Like the DK starter sets, which really did look quite nice) and Tier 1, which became unavailable when formerly level 55-60ish dungeons suddenly became mid-to-high 40 dungeons.

Khyron fucked around with this message on 08-25-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-26-2011 09:06:53 PM
Of course Blizzard would make something that SHOULD be as simple as "One tab, put visible items, other tab, put stat-boosting items" and turn it into a process that requires a visit to an NPC, a gold charge, and a repeat if you happen to upgrade the stat-giving item you were wearing.

The restrictions give me pause, too. There are plenty of, say, leather items that look like cloth, and vice versa, that a player might want to have visible, but isn't what their class wears. The only reason for any of those restrictions is obviously pvp. They could simply auto-disable an appearance tab when in an arena or battleground, where else would it matter?

Densetsu fucked around with this message on 08-26-2011 at 09:07 PM.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Maradon!
posted 08-27-2011 01:00:02 AM
But how do you feel about Blizzard, Densetsu.

How do you really feel.

It's hard for me to tell.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-27-2011 01:23:46 AM
quote:
So quoth Densetsu:
Of course Blizzard would make something that SHOULD be as simple as "One tab, put visible items, other tab, put stat-boosting items" and turn it into a process that requires a visit to an NPC, a gold charge, and a repeat if you happen to upgrade the stat-giving item you were wearing.

AHAHAHAHAHHA you expected a simple solution?

Willias
Pancake
posted 08-27-2011 10:07:05 AM
quote:
Densetsu's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:

The restrictions give me pause, too. There are plenty of, say, leather items that look like cloth, and vice versa, that a player might want to have visible, but isn't what their class wears. The only reason for any of those restrictions is obviously pvp. They could simply auto-disable an appearance tab when in an arena or battleground, where else would it matter?

dear fucking god this post and combined with the last one belong in wowplayers.txt

How dare they add in a highly requested feature with an added gold sink that the game's economy desperately needs.

Willias fucked around with this message on 08-27-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-29-2011 12:54:49 AM
Eh, I'm just butt-hurt that they finally put something into the game that I had been wanting for a very long time, but am sorely disappointed with the implementation, because I feel that it detracts much from the appeal of the service in the first place.

I'm also over it, really, since I don't even play anymore.

Had it been done right, that is to say, to my personal standards, then I probably would have renewed my sub for a couple months to level up an alt. Oh well!

Dr. Gee
posted 08-29-2011 03:38:36 PM
quote:
From the book of Densetsu, chapter 3, verse 16:

Dr. Gee fucked around with this message on 08-29-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Khyron
posted 08-30-2011 05:31:11 PM
Blizzard finally added an achievement to the game for killing Occu'thar, the new boss down in Tol'Barad.

FUCKING FINALLY BLIZZARD I CAN'T BELEIVE IT TOOK YOU THIS LONG TO CODE IN ONE STUPID LITTLE ACHIEVEMENT CHRIST ALMIGHTY PEOPLE CAN'T YOU FUCKING CODE IN THIS SHIT EARLIER INTO THE GAME I MEAN I KNOW HOW IT'S NOT GOING TO AFFECT GAMEPLAY AND IT'S ONLY JUST FOR FUN BUT JESUS ALMIGHTY YOU SHOULD ALL HAVE YOUR SOULS RAPED BY RABBITS UNTIL YOU LEARN HOW TO BECOME BETTER AT FIXING THIS SHIT

Dr. Gee
posted 09-01-2011 04:34:29 PM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about Tron:
Blizzard finally added an achievement to the game for killing Occu'thar, the new boss down in Tol'Barad.

FUCKING FINALLY BLIZZARD I CAN'T BELEIVE IT TOOK YOU THIS LONG TO CODE IN ONE STUPID LITTLE ACHIEVEMENT CHRIST ALMIGHTY PEOPLE CAN'T YOU FUCKING CODE IN THIS SHIT EARLIER INTO THE GAME I MEAN I KNOW HOW IT'S NOT GOING TO AFFECT GAMEPLAY AND IT'S ONLY JUST FOR FUN BUT JESUS ALMIGHTY YOU SHOULD ALL HAVE YOUR SOULS RAPED BY RABBITS UNTIL YOU LEARN HOW TO BECOME BETTER AT FIXING THIS SHIT

Khyron
posted 09-05-2011 07:27:38 PM
quote:
Dr. Gee had this to say about Captain Planet:

That was meant to be poking fun at a certain person who was overreacting about Blizzard adding something nice to the game.

Facetiousness doesn't translate well over the interweb

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 09-06-2011 01:03:22 AM
I wasn't overreacting. I was just pointing out that we shouldn't settle for being thrown a bone when things could have, and should have, been done in a way that included fewer limitations and less as a means of being another gold sink.

There are many other ways that Blizzard could have gone about it. But I guess you're okay with accepting whatever Blizzard wants you to have.

Willias
Pancake
posted 09-06-2011 05:57:38 AM
Bullshit Dens. Your post was "FUCKING BLIZZARD OH GOD THEY CANT GET SHIT DONE RIGHT I BET ITS TERRIBLE."

and then "OH THAT'S NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT BUT OH FUCK THAT'S STILL TERRIBLE FUCKING BLI$$ARD WHY CAN'T YOU GET ANYTHING RIGHT"

And I'll admit, other games have done it better/less shitty, but oh well. My main issue with it, as a warrior, is that there just isn't a lot of variety in what you can wear with plate.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-06-2011 11:46:00 AM
quote:
Willias said this about your mom:
My main issue with it, as a warrior, is that there just isn't a lot of variety in what you can wear with plate.

Bullshit. You can look like you're wearing Chain or Plate. There's LOTS of options there.

Ok, most of them are total shit, but there are still options.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 09-06-2011 05:26:04 PM
quote:
It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh! I was called here by Random Insanity Generator who wishes to pay me tribute!
Bullshit. You can look like you're wearing Chain or Plate. There's LOTS of options there.

Ok, most of them are total shit, but there are still options.

Actually, from what I understand about it, whatever you pick to change the looks to, has to be the same armor type as the item you're getting stats from. This is one of my biggest peeves with this. Because it would unbalance PvP for Warriors to run around in robes and people would think they were casters or something.

quote:
I suppose the same could be said of all Williass...
Bullshit Dens. Your post was "FUCKING BLIZZARD OH GOD THEY CANT GET SHIT DONE RIGHT I BET ITS TERRIBLE."

and then "OH THAT'S NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT BUT OH FUCK THAT'S STILL TERRIBLE FUCKING BLI$$ARD WHY CAN'T YOU GET ANYTHING RIGHT"

So I guess that since I was never a Blizzard fanboi, and I have gotten tired of what they've done with WoW since they were purchased by Activision, my vocalization thereof completely negates the fact that each of my posts gave specific examples of both problems and solutions as I saw them?

[Edit: Honestly, I probably could compromise if they'd simply remove the pvp balance restrictions and make it so that the custom looks revert temporarily back to normal in competitive PvP situations. And the fact that whenever you'd get an upgraded piece of gear, you'd have to go to a city and pay to redo your transmog again makes this system something that will really only be used by max level characters. There could be a bit of extra life breathed into the game if I could create a "look" for a new character for them to keep as they adventured through the levels. But the added tedium of it seems exceedingly flawed to me.]

Densetsu fucked around with this message on 09-06-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-06-2011 10:19:09 PM
Isn't there an option to turn Helms and Shoulders off already?

So turn them off and wear a robe. Until you start beating someone's ass you've got the element of surprise without Transmog. Woo... scary.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 09-06-2011 10:27:15 PM
Unless they added the ability to turn shoulders off sometime this year, then no. It's helms and cloaks.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-07-2011 01:06:48 AM
Meh, like it makes a diff.
Addy
posted 09-08-2011 12:20:21 AM
bli$$ard
Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-08-2011 04:03:30 AM
I was the most colossal Blizzard fanboi and I still think they fuck up more than they succeed lately.

Cataclysm is an unmitigated disaster.

Willias
Pancake
posted 09-08-2011 06:28:41 AM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Captain Planet:
So I guess that since I was never a Blizzard fanboi, and I have gotten tired of what they've done with WoW since they were purchased by Activision, my vocalization thereof completely negates the fact that each of my posts gave specific examples of both problems and solutions as I saw them?

I don't think you understand, so let me help you. Your initial post in this thread was a fuckton of hyperbole, which you then toned down in your second post to something more reasonable, but still was still tinged with bullshit because "Blizzard can't do anything right".

If you had just skipped the hyperbole, I wouldn't even be making this post. But since you didn't, you come off as a butthurt former WoW player.

quote:
You can look like you're wearing Chain or Plate. There's LOTS of options there.

Pretty sure you have to wear matching item type (So Plate for Plate). There's some variety, just not as much as any of the other armor types have.

quote:

I was the most colossal Blizzard fanboi and I still think they fuck up more than they succeed lately.

Yeah. :/

As a tank, I'm nervous about the "active mitigation" changes they plan on making for the next expansion. I rerolled from a DK to a warrior because they really fucked up how the class plays in Cataclysm, especially Blood DKs. I get an odd feeling they're going to make tanking something fucking annoying that no one will want to do.

Willias fucked around with this message on 09-08-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Dr. Gee
posted 09-08-2011 05:11:51 PM
quote:
Khyron's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
That was meant to be poking fun at a certain person who was overreacting about Blizzard adding something nice to the game.

Facetiousness doesn't translate well over the interweb

Oh, I know man. No worries. It just presented an opportunity to further mock Dens' neck bearded raging on this particular subject.

Addy
posted 09-10-2011 09:16:37 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Tron:

Cataclysm sealed the nail on the coffin for me. It's terrible. Although I did like the concept for blood DK tanking.

Time to wait for SWTOR to come out so I can be massively disappointed with it like I was with WAR!!!! You playin bro?

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 09-11-2011 01:17:09 AM
quote:
It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh! I was called here by Addy who wishes to pay me tribute!
Cataclysm sealed the nail on the coffin for me. It's terrible. Although I did like the concept for blood DK tanking.

Time to wait for SWTOR to come out so I can be massively disappointed with it like I was with WAR!!!! You playin bro?

Guild Wars 2 will save us if SWTOR doesn't, right? ...Right?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-11-2011 03:09:43 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan said this about your mom:

Their other properties still own, but I'm glad they fucked up WoW. It gave me a good excuse to leave.

Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 09-11-2011 03:59:06 AM
I was only able to play SWTOR for a weekend, but it seems pretty awesome.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-11-2011 10:32:06 AM
quote:
Addy spewed forth this undeniable truth:

Hey now, AVTeam, when all our people were there, was pretty rockin.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 09-11-2011 04:16:05 PM
This seems a convoluted solution when they can just add a damned Appearance tab/slot/whatever like all the other games have. EQ2's had it for years, and it's not like it would be the first thing the games shared.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 09-11-2011 08:30:53 PM
quote:
It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh! I was called here by Lyinar Ka`Bael who wishes to pay me tribute!
This seems a convoluted solution when they can just add a damned Appearance tab/slot/whatever like all the other games have. EQ2's had it for years, and it's not like it would be the first thing the games shared.

At launch, both were almost identical.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-11-2011 09:00:36 PM
quote:
Addy's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:

WAR? No. I kind of farted out when I realized it was going to be more of the same class-balance shit as WoW. Plus, I really wanted to play a Black Orc and it turns out your entire role as a tank in PvP is kind of based on psychology. If they don't want to fight you, they don't have to and you can't really do shit to make them.

WoW, not in a long time. I have a host of beefs with Cataclysm but they can all be pretty much boiled down to the fact that it's boring as shit.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: