EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: New car. (Suggestions plz)
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 08-09-2011 12:41:18 PM
My first and current car has lasted me almost a decade. It's a Chevy Cavalier and at the time was perfect for my high-school attending self.

Now I'm looking into the market for a new car that says: I'm a businessman but still has a lot of fun.

Hoping to get it around ~25-30 but price is negotiable as long as it's new. I'm normally a Chevy guy, and the 2011 Camaro looks enticing, but it's got the Transformer's stigma to it that I'm not a fan of.

What are some other sporty new cars around that price range?

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 08-09-2011 01:46:07 PM
If you want new and sporty in that range, go for a Golf GTI or something.

Alternatively, look for a certified pre-owned Lexus IS (probably IS250). New cars are silly.

Mightion Defensor
posted 08-09-2011 01:58:13 PM
I'll second the VW GTI... my next car will be a VW in some way, shape, or form.

Red, of course.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 08-09-2011 03:02:23 PM
I can't recommend enough against buying new. It's such a waste. 30% of the car's value goes out the door the second you drive it off the lot, and your trade in on the Cav will be so low, you will likely be upside down (unless you have a significant down payment) for the first 2-3 years. I would say buy a gently used RX-8, unless gas mileage is a concern, then buy a gently used Ford Mustang GT, Lexis IS x50 (where x is 2 or 3), Hyundai Genesis, or Infinity G35.

If you MUST buy new, you can get a new Mustang V6, Dodge Challenger or Hyundai Genesis in your price range. The Subaru WRX is a solid and inexpensive option, and quite practical if you have to deal with snow. If RWD/AWD is not that important, you can snag a VW GTI. Unfortunately, if you don't dig the Camaro, Chevy really doesn't have anything to offer you in sporty other than the Corvette. If you can wait a year or so, Toyota is bringing out a new sports car they co-developed with Subaru for the 2012 model year, which should be light, RWD, and toss-able. Don't buy anything Scion unless you like cheap ass plastic.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 08-09-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 08-09-2011 06:19:16 PM
I'm leasing a 2011 VW Jetta SE. Is verah verah nice.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 08-09-2011 10:33:00 PM
My personal advice is to get an $8,000 used Accord V6 LX with leather and sunroof then spend the rest on your house.

If you must get a $30,000 car that says "I'm a businessman who still has fun" you are talking about a used BMW 3 series XI (or an older 5 series if you care more about the business man look with a low budget).

If you care more about having fun I second the WRX. I'd stay away form the STI model because that's a little overkill. The Impreza line looks ugly, rusts, and is a 4 banger but is a beast that handles like a dream.

edit: I can not overstate my agreement with Blindy's assessment of new cars. Let other people burn their own money. Don't be the sucker yourself.

edit2: Remember where you are going. For example if you live in the Boston area you'd be insane to get a car larger than a full sized sedan. New England in general also destroys cars (salted roads, etc) and you'll like something heavy with AWD for the winter and hills. That's just my area - the point is to keep region in mind.

At the very least think of the commute you'll probably have. If you are driving straight on the highway for two hours a day you'll wish you had something comfortable. If you've got a short commute and are constantly going on dates you may want something sportier.

edit3: If you just care about looks and nothing else you may want to consider getting a Shelby Cobra Kit Car.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 08-09-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 08-14-2011 11:48:49 PM
Speaking as a guy who has to work on cars every day. Honda and Toyota are number 1 and 2 for reliability and resale. Subaru WRX is crazy fun to drive as is the Accord V6 recommended. I'd be happy with either. Toyota has dropped the ball recently not just in the gas pedal sticking thing. Thier overall quality seems to have slipped too.

Speaking as a mechanic (ASE Certified Master Technician), I'd steer away from the German cars (with apoligies to our resident German) they're quirky in the computer department as the Euro cars tend to speak thier own language that then needs to be translated into the OBD-II language used by all US/Canada scan tools. Even just doing a simple wheel alignment takes special tools as well as requiring a full tank, 150 lbs in both front seats. 150 lbs in the back seat and 46 lbs in the trunk! Some of them even require special socket sets that no other car in the world uses. You'll wind up going to the dealer for some of the service unless you can find a shop that specializes in Eurocars. (Dealers tend to charge anywhere from $100 to $150 per hour (or more!) of labor while other shops can be drastically less. The Firestone I work at is $80 per hour, some places like small "mom and pop" shops can be less expensive $65/hr for basic services)

Also keep in mind that many of these vehicles today of the "sporty" variety are running larger than normal wheels and the tires are horribly expensive and usually only last about 40,000 miles if you're religious about checking pressure monthly, doing tire rotation at the proper time and an alignment at least yearly. Trying to get a vehicle with 16 to 17 inch rims will keep tire costs down in the long run.

http://www.bloodfin.net
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-15-2011 08:20:41 AM
I'm in my second Accord V6 now. First was an 03 demolished by hail, this one is an 05. Both sedans, leather, etc, etc. From what the dbag salesman at the Honda Dealership that I got my 05 from, the Coupe retains more of it's value and is harder to find used in good shape. Expect to pay more for fewer doors. Oddly, he said it only applies to the V6...

Only real complaint I have is that Honda can't make a Nav system for shit. Even in the new '12s coming out it's STILL a fucking DVD based unit. I'm all for having the DVD unit for loading upgrades (but I still think it's bullshit overall) but there is no reason they couldn't have moved to a fucking solid state configuration by now...

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-15-2011 08:24:37 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Ghost of Forums Past wrote:
My personal advice is to get an $8,000 used Accord V6 LX with leather and sunroof then spend the rest on your house.

And that's the EX-L, the LX doesn't have the leather options (at least on the V6). The EX is the upper level trim package and the -L is of course the heated leather seats.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: