EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Life is good.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 08-05-2011 05:16:00 PM
Tribes: Ascend in-game footage.

It's looking just like T2 with new weapons, maps and a graphics overhaul. If it IS those three things, and only those three things; I'll be very happy with it.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Mightion Defensor
posted 08-06-2011 01:13:48 AM
Looks good, from the three minutes of the clip that I watched.... but it will *never* be a true Tribes game without the ability to press a sequence of keys that causes me to shout "Shazbot!".
Maradon!
posted 08-08-2011 07:37:32 PM
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 08-08-2011 10:36:55 PM
Terrible news: Someone pointed out two aspects of the video I did not want to see.

Firstly, it appears that health is restored over time, similar to the 'SO REAL' dirt/blood/black&white effects used by most current FPS's.

If this is true, it sucks.

Secondly, there didn't seem to be an emphasis placed on deploying turrets, or other tactical fortifications. Now I'm hoping it's due to being an early build of the game, and they were hoping to focus on combat; but Tribes without a tactical aspect is not Tribes.

Hoping for the best I suppose.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-08-2011 10:41:57 PM
quote:
Die, Rodent King! You don't belong in this world!

Firstly, it appears that health is restored over time, similar to the 'SO REAL' dirt/blood/black&white effects used by most current FPS's.

This has been something present for the past 9 years or so since Halo. I think it's safe to say that at this point, this mechanic is not going to go away, and that pretty much every developer will see it as a must-have for their game to be successful.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Maradon!
posted 08-10-2011 07:02:44 AM
I don't mind the health issue so much, but without a tactical component there really isn't even a reason to get excited.

Does anyone even remember Tribes: Vengeance? All the promising, all the earnest assurances from the developers and beta testers alike that the game had a prominent tactical component and wasn't AT ALL an overpriced Unreal Tournament mod.

Then it was released and the most elaborate defense you could construct was two turrets and a repair drone, and the whole mess could be destroyed by one or two shots from even the weakest weapon in the game. Land mines were the size of basketballs and only very new players ever stumbled into them. The game landed in bargain bins a few months after release.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: