EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Karnaj
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 07-16-2011 05:17:15 PM
I saw in another post that you've been brewing. What kind have you been doing? Are you kegging or bottling right now?

I've been making hard ciders and other variants for the last 8 months or so (wife and I can't stand hops, go figure).

Just curious, My neighbors and I get together every few weeks and hang out. We all drink and they brew beer.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-17-2011 04:00:20 PM
Beginner's stuff: extract kits, some specialty grains. I don't have a spare fridge that can fit a five-gallon carboy, so I can't ferment any lagers right now. Currently, I have an American Wheat Ale conditioning in bottles, as well as summery light ale in primary.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 07-20-2011 03:04:19 PM
cool. No fridge here either. I have a cyser I'm making with a weihenstephen wheat beer yeast. It's pretty fruity in aroma. Going to drop 5lbs of raspberries in it for secondary next month.

So far I've made a german PomApfelwein at about 8.6% and a spiced cider at about 9.8%

The raspberry cyser is going to be a bit less stiff at around 7.2%

Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 07-21-2011 07:19:25 AM
Where would one procure the items to start such a venture, and how much should one expect the initial cost to be?
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-21-2011 08:15:44 AM
quote:
Vallo, the Second Coming still thinks SARS jokes are topical, as evidenced by:
Where would one procure the items to start such a venture, and how much should one expect the initial cost to be?

You can buy a basic (but complete) starter kit for about $100-$120. Bottles enough to cover a 5 gallon batch are about $25(and reusable, so don't throw them out!). An actual recipe kit is anywhere from $15 to $50, depending on the style of beer.

You should look for homebrew stores in your area. Most have package deal for noobs, allowing them to get everything they'll need to brew and bottle a 5 gallon batch for a single price. If there are no homebrew stores nearby, you can peruse Northern Brewer or Midwest Supplies. I buy recipe kits from both, but they have a full line of equipment, including beginners' kits.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Peter
Pancake
posted 07-21-2011 11:33:33 AM
You may also try a Microbrewery if you have one near you. I would say it is hit or miss if they will sell you supplies out right, one of the two in the city I live in will sell supplies to ya.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 07-21-2011 12:18:24 PM
Oh, also: get a book first. The instructions that come with the starter kits are sparse. I recommend this one. It's set up so that you can start brewing after reading the first 20 pages, the language is fun and breezy, and it has a ton of information for more advanced techniques.

Beer.

Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 07-22-2011 05:57:53 AM
Much appreciated, bromethius!
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 07-22-2011 02:55:50 PM
like karnaj said, find your Local Homebrew Supply store (LHBS) and talk to them. If you have more than one, compare prices. Get your starter kit and then you can either go with premade beer kits or you can get a recipe and tell the brew store guy what you need and they can get the individual items for you.

The kits include everything you need and are generally considered great practice at the beginning of your homebrewing experience. Eventually you'll use recipes and even come up with your own, if you really get into it.

BTW, the brew bottles look awesome, but for beer I'd stick with a bucket. Just my preference. I have bottles and it's hard to add anything to a bottle (ie, wood chips, fruit, etc) because it's hard to fit the nylon drawstring bags through the opening when they're full.

Also, here's a wealth of knowledge on all things Homebrew: http://www.homebrewtalk.com

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: