EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I hope this isn't accurate....
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 06-28-2011 08:03:32 AM
Capcom Announces "Unreplayable" Game

wtf? Why would anyone buy a game, at full price, they can only ever play through once? That had better be one badass game (and having had my hands on the .jp version... it's not) if they're going to charge the full 40 for it.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 06-28-2011 12:51:01 PM
Looking into the game...

There is no storyline. The gameplay involves killing as many enemies as possible in a time period, and it looks exactly like the one bonus mode at the end of Resident Evil 4. More on gameplay here.

It does cost $40, and apparently has almost no resell value. As far as I can tell the only reason to 'reset' would be to lose all the unlockables and character experience. The one save-file shouldn't hurt the person who bought it.

Nevertheless, this is evil and I hope the business model tanks hard so as not to be repeated.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 06-28-2011 05:44:12 PM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
The one save-file shouldn't hurt the person who bought it.

And if I want to do a COMPLETE replay of it for some reason? Or if say a younger/older sibling picked up my system and played on it?

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 06-28-2011 06:25:47 PM
I agree that it's a shitty model to use, and I can't see it really affecting their intended purpose of selling more new copies.

That said, I would be surprised if after a month or two nobody has figured out a way to reset it somehow. It may be mildly complicated, and it's no excuse for this douche-move by Capcom; but I plan on picking up a second-hand version of the game later on.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 06-28-2011 07:42:35 PM
This defeats the purpose of purchasing a game. Capcom is basically renting you a game for the same price that everyone else charges for buying one.

[Edit: Wait, it might not be as bad as the media initially led us to believe.]

Densetsu fucked around with this message on 06-28-2011 at 07:56 PM.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 06-29-2011 11:51:33 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Random Insanity Generator stammered:
And if I want to do a COMPLETE replay of it for some reason? Or if say a younger/older sibling picked up my system and played on it?

There seem to be two things you get to do the first time that anyone who plays it later cannot: unlock items/characters and set high scores. The vast majority of the game will be unhampered during it's lifetime.

If that's something that warrants boycotting the game, feel free to do so. Personally, I have absolutely no intention of purchasing any game that uses this system because I heartily disagree with the business model.

My post was there to note that this isn't like playing through FFVI once and having a paperweight cartridge after you beat it.

The game has been released in Japan and the resell value was, IIRC, ~$6USD. Admittedly I don't know what the average 3DS game resells for, but that seems low.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: