EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 06-18-2011 01:20:44 AM
I tried it awhile offline, beat it a few times on normal to get the feel of it; then put it away.

Then I visited one of my nephews, who had friends over playing MVC3. I got my ass handed to me.

Then I visited the other of my nephews, who also had friends over playing MVC3. Again, I got my ass handed to me.

Then I visited my friend Ryan, who had friends over playing MVC3. I got my ass handed to me a third time.

So now I'm trying to get up to a comfortable level of playing by fighting people online; but the game seems built entirely around combos. If a 'skilled' (Read: practiced combos for a few hours to put in all the commands correctly) player hits me, the combo goes on for ~20 seconds, and I may as well put the controller down.

Now, this frustrates me.

However, I vow to get better at this game by reading strategies; mastering combos of my own and playing online until my eyes start to slant.

No real need for a reply. I just feel like venting about this stupid, terribly designed game.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Maradon!
posted 06-18-2011 09:50:35 AM
Most fighting games with elaborate combo systems also have elaborate combo breaking systems.

Otherwise you're just being juggled and games with unbreakable juggling are poorly designed.

nem-x
posted 06-18-2011 06:33:03 PM
There are no combo breakers afaik
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 06-19-2011 11:31:16 AM
Pretty much, whoever gets the first hit off has free reign to start their combo.

Most combos require a complicated series of button/direction inputs, that admittedly; are pretty hard to master.

Thing is people DO master combos and once you're hit; there's no getting out until either they screw up or the combo's done.

So the game feels like it's ~10 seconds of total character control while the rest of the fight is watching someone do their combos.

Maradon!
posted 06-20-2011 06:52:01 PM
Sounds like a pretty terrible game
Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 06-25-2011 07:55:22 PM
Depending on the combo, there are in fact combo breakers.

For instance, any time someone juggles you and does a combo that switches to their next character to continue a combo you can counter it to not only stop the combo, but negate the switch and cause them to lose a small amount of special meter.

Aside from that there are counters galore, and using X-Factor will instantly interrupt anything whatsoever.

Edit: Speaking of X-Factor, while in it you also no longer receive chip damage and regain health bar.

Vallo, the Second Coming fucked around with this message on 06-25-2011 at 07:56 PM.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 06-26-2011 12:45:33 PM
Yeah, I spent the week playing the game and am no longer losing every match online. Still feels cheap juggling people to win though.

"Ha! I got you in a light punch, now watch the next 20 seconds as I finish the combo I stayed up memorizing last night."

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: