EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 05-20-2011 06:47:11 PM
About 5 years ago, a group of Chrono Trigger fans got together and began working on a direct sequel to the game by hacking the ROM. Everyone thought the project had died when a fake cease and desist letter from Square Enix was announced. It was in the beta phase, and "98% complete" according to the devs. A couple months ago, some other fans completed it and released it to the public.

Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes boasts over 35 hours of gameplay, including many new features such as new techs, minigames, even a Battle Arena mode (similar to the one in FF7). It attempts to bridge the gap in story between Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross.

All in all, from having played it for about 5 hours or so, it's quite well done. There are a few typos, and I've run into one game-freezing bug that I was easily able to avoid after resetting. The difficulty of combat has increased significantly from the parent title, as enemies tend to have more HP, so battles last a bit longer and use a few more resources. Crono actually speaks in this game, since he's not really the main character anymore. The game will change scenes to different characters to give everyone some facetime.

Anyway, any fan of CT should at least give this a try. Below is a RAR file containing both ZSNES (which is recommended to play it with instead of SNES9X) and a pre-patch game file. It was originally just released as a patch file, but I had trouble getting the patch to work correctly. All you'll have to do is load up ZSNES and open the Crimson Echoes SMC file.

Enjoy!

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 05-21-2011 12:27:23 PM
Cool, definitely going to give this a shot.
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 05-21-2011 01:20:49 PM
The story is actually quite good being what basically amounts to fanfiction, and the way the game flows from place to place is pretty fun.

It is really hard, though. There are lots of enemy encounters that make me want to pull my teeth out, and I find myself actually running from the more annoying battles for the first time ever playing a Chrono game.

If you ever complained that Chrono Trigger was too easy, you won't be disappointed here.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Maradon!
posted 05-25-2011 05:46:57 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Densetsu who doth quote:
It attempts to bridge the gap in story between Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross.

How the heck? Trigger and Cross were only very, very tangentially related.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 05-26-2011 05:13:22 PM
quote:
Maradon! said this about your mom:
How the heck? Trigger and Cross were only very, very tangentially related.

That's why they are attempting to bridge that gap

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: