EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Heard about the PSN hack? Well, apparently SOE got hit too.
Willias
Pancake
posted 05-02-2011 11:36:19 PM
Since I know most people here played EverQuest at some time or another, just a heads up that someone out there might have your account information. Crossposted from SA and Gamespot:

quote:

Trouble seemed to be afoot at Sony Online Entertainment this morning, when the publisher brought game servers and websites related to its portfolio of massively multiplayer online games offline. As suspected, SOE has now confirmed that it, too, has suffered a security breach similar to the one plaguing the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services.

In a statement issued to GameSpot, SOE has now confirmed that approximately 24.6 million accounts as well as 12,700 non-US credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates have been stolen. The information was obtained by hackers between April 16 and 17.

"This information, which was discovered by engineers and security consultants reviewing SOE systems, showed that personal information from approximately 24.6 million SOE accounts may have been stolen, as well as certain information from an outdated database from 2007," the statement reads. "The information from the outdated database that may have been stolen includes approximately 12,700 non-U.S. credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes), and about 10,700 direct debit records of certain customers in Austria, Germany, Netherlands, and Spain."

Of the 24.6 million compromised accounts, SOE said that hackers obtained names, addresses, e-mail addresses, birthdates, genders, phone numbers, login names, and passwords. SOE noted that the password data is stored in a hashed form, and not plain text.

The foreign direct debit record formation compromised includes bank account numbers, customer names, account names, and customer addresses. The breach was discovered as Sony's engineers and outside consultants reviewed SOE's system in the wake of the attack on the PSN and Qriocity services.

It is unclear whether the 24.6 million compromised accounts were pulled from SOE's entire portfolio of games. Games that fall under the publishing label include EverQuest, EverQuest 2, DC Universe Online, Free Realms, Star Wars Galaxies, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, and PlanetSide.

SOE also said that it would add 30 days of free game time to current customers subscriptions to make up for the service interruption. The publisher also said that it would be offering a one-for-one match of free game time for each day that servers are offline.

quote:

Approximately 24.6 million accounts and something like 12,700 credit card accounts have been apparently leaked! And apparently credit card information theft has been confirmed for a portion of these? Apparently?

I'm not sure why you'd still have a credit card associated with Sony Online Entertainment anymore, but heads up if you do: probably should do something about that.

You might want to change your passwords if you've got one associated with one of those, too.

Edit:
Also, the SOE site.

Willias fucked around with this message on 05-02-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 05-03-2011 01:59:25 AM
As far as the PSN hack goes, I kind of avoided the worst of it by sheer luck. About 3 weeks ago, my debit card info had already gotten stolen, so it was canceled and replaced, and I just haven't bought anything from the PSN since then. Whoever stole my card the first time managed only to attempt to steal about $30 before they were detected, and I didn't lose a dime. And luckily I don't have to get a new debit card for the PSN hack.

As far as SOE goes...haven't played one of their games in years, and could care less if someone has my account info!

Granted, names and addresses may or may not be relevant. Though my address has changed since the last time I played an SOE game.

I feel for people more affected by this than I was.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Willias
Pancake
posted 05-03-2011 02:17:20 AM
I don't use PSN, so I don't have to worry about that.

However, I've played SOE games off and on since EQ.

Good news is: The credit card information they have is likely all out-of-date. Bad news is that they have a ton of account info. I know I'll be looking into changing the password on my Station account asap.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-03-2011 08:04:25 AM
Haven't played EQ in a decade(which is, in and of itself, scary), so I wonder if they even kept the info on file.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 05-03-2011 01:55:45 PM
And as far as I can tell, none of you were at risk for the financial data... You don't live in Europe...

Haven't touched EQ in ages, but wish I had sold my acct instead of giving it away. At least I'd have gotten something for the wasted time... heh

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-11-2011 02:49:04 PM
The last time I logged into a Sony game was in 2003 or so. Guess I am fine.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: