EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: lemon cakes
nem-x
posted 04-11-2011 01:30:37 AM
I need some books to read

Girl with the dragon tattoo was terrible
Hunt for red october felt more like a movie script (never seen the movie)
I did not like hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
I just finished parcelan's witcher and the four song of fire and ice books. Coincidentally there's going to be a Game of Thrones series on HBO with boromir and the fifth book is coming out soon

Maradon!
posted 04-11-2011 06:54:20 AM
Stieg Larsson might as well be a writer for the Lifetime Movie Network.

Scott Lynch is in the vein of what you're reading, if you haven't picked any of that up.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 04-11-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-11-2011 07:29:46 AM
The Black Company by Glen Cook. I picked it up because it deviates from the standard fantasy formula of "one hero/group fight against the evil flavour of the day". I really enjoyed that series.

Also, one of the best books I have read in the last ten years is A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (and it's prequel A Deepness in the Sky, but the order doesn't really matter).

Almost on the same level quality-wise is the Hyperion Cantos, a series of books by Dan Simmons.

The last two are sci-fi.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 04-11-2011 07:57:39 AM
William Gibson. Anything from him really, but especially the Neuromancer Trilogy.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 04-11-2011 09:12:30 AM
Read the first three or four books of the Honor Harrington series. They're free now, apparently.

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

Zair
The Imp
posted 04-11-2011 01:15:29 PM
quote:
Maradon! thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Stieg Larsson might as well be a writer for the Lifetime Movie Network.

The Swedish title for the first book was "Men Who Hate Women" so, yeah.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 04-11-2011 03:16:47 PM
quote:
Tarquinn wrote this stupid crap:
The Black Company by Glen Cook. I picked it up because it deviates from the standard fantasy formula of "one hero/group fight against the evil flavour of the day". I really enjoyed that series.

Also, one of the best books I have read in the last ten years is A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (and it's prequel A Deepness in the Sky, but the order doesn't really matter).

Almost on the same level quality-wise is the Hyperion Cantos, a series of books by Dan Simmons.

The last two are sci-fi.

I'm a little meh about Vinge. I get tired of endless rape scenes and it creeped me out after a while. He's a little odd in person too.

In addition to the Hyperion and Endymion series, Simmons' Illium and Olympus are fantastic as well and I highly recommend them.

Tarquinn
posted 04-11-2011 03:42:37 PM
I don't really remember any rape scenes. Either the memory of one of us is faulty, or I didn't mind them at all. Hmm.
Maradon!
posted 04-11-2011 06:26:31 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Vallo, the Second Coming who doth quote:
William Gibson. Anything from him really, but especially the Neuromancer Trilogy.

Second Gibson. The man coined the word "Cyberspace." His ideas had an influence on the burgeoning development of computer science and the internet, and he managed all this without ever touching a computer - literally - until his Hermes electric typewriter broke while he was writing Count Zero.

It's really amazing seeing how his ideas resurface again and again in modern science fiction.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 04-11-2011 07:36:37 PM
quote:
Blindy. obviously shouldn't have said:
Read the first three or four books of the Honor Harrington series. They're free now, apparently.

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

I recommend the Empire of Man series, myself. It's very good and doesn't QUITE get as bogged down in the technical details as most of the honor stuff does (But there is still quite a lot of techy crap there too).

The first two books, March Upcountry and March to the Sea are on the Baen free library at http://www.baen.com/Library/books.asp. The third and fourth (March to the Stars and We Few) aren't hard to find.

The main character is a whiny, spoiled prince who gets shipwrecked on a jungle planet and has to march across the whole damn thing to get home. The main character does a really nice job of growing up and becoming pretty awesome during the series.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-11-2011 09:46:34 PM
did u kno my 2nd book is out?

The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham is out soon. He wrote The Long Price Quartet, which is...intelligent, but super-boring. His newest book is more adventure fantasy, great stuff.

If you haven't read Joe Abercrombie, Sean will probably go all Glokta on your ass.

Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 04-12-2011 08:12:33 AM
quote:
Maradon! stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Second Gibson. The man coined the word "Cyberspace." His ideas had an influence on the burgeoning development of computer science and the internet, and he managed all this without ever touching a computer - literally - until his Hermes electric typewriter broke while he was writing Count Zero.

It's really amazing seeing how his ideas resurface again and again in modern science fiction.

I was sold the second that, in Neuromancer, he introduced the Cobra. It was just a completely arbitrary item - a police baton - with little long-term story relevance and yet he completely reinvented and updated it into a thick, telescoping spring for extra bone crushing power!

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-12-2011 10:46:24 AM
quote:
Khyron startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
I recommend the Empire of Man series, myself. It's very good and doesn't QUITE get as bogged down in the technical details as most of the honor stuff does (But there is still quite a lot of techy crap there too).

The first two books, March Upcountry and March to the Sea are on the Baen free library at http://www.baen.com/Library/books.asp. The third and fourth (March to the Stars and We Few) aren't hard to find.

The main character is a whiny, spoiled prince who gets shipwrecked on a jungle planet and has to march across the whole damn thing to get home. The main character does a really nice job of growing up and becoming pretty awesome during the series.

How was We Few? I read the others, and thought they were fairly awesome, but never got around to that last one.

I'd also recommend the Jig the Goblin series by Jim Hines if you like light-hearted fantasy told from the traditionally bad guy POV. It's quite Terry Pratchett-like, in that the premise is pretty absurd, but there's actually a really good story buried in amongst the tongue-in-cheekiness. The first one is Goblin Hero, then Goblin Quest, then Goblin War.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Blindy.
posted 04-13-2011 08:42:04 AM
Parce is your book worth $9.59 for kindle?
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-13-2011 10:01:25 AM
quote:
Blindy. put down Tada! magazine long enough to type:

Yes it is.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-13-2011 05:40:49 PM
quote:
Karnaj probably says this to all the girls:
Yes it is.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 04-13-2011 07:42:22 PM
quote:
Bloodsage was naked while typing this:
How was We Few? I read the others, and thought they were fairly awesome, but never got around to that last one.

I'd also recommend the Jig the Goblin series by Jim Hines if you like light-hearted fantasy told from the traditionally bad guy POV. It's quite Terry Pratchett-like, in that the premise is pretty absurd, but there's actually a really good story buried in amongst the tongue-in-cheekiness. The first one is Goblin Hero, then Goblin Quest, then Goblin War.

We Few was definitely a good read; more emphasis on the high-tech side of things, Mardukans flying planes and Roger showing off to all the people that used to think he was a pathetic little shit that he's actually got balls of steel now. A lot of emphasis on the relationship between Roger and Despereaux. Pick it up if you have the time, if you liked the earlier books I think you'll really enjoy it.

Dr. Gee
posted 04-14-2011 03:40:21 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan obviously shouldn't have said:
Yes it is.

Do you personally get royalties from book sales? And if so, which version gives more?

Dr. Gee fucked around with this message on 04-14-2011 at 03:40 PM.

nem-x
posted 04-14-2011 05:24:15 PM
quote:
Blindy. attempted to be funny by writing:

There were spaces rando mly thrown between wor ds sometimes, but that's the only pro blem I saw.

Maradon!
posted 04-14-2011 05:31:28 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Dr. Gee booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Do you personally get royalties from book sales? And if so, which version gives more?

You do have the option of simply sending Parce money.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-14-2011 05:37:25 PM
quote:
Dr. Gee got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:

I do, but not until they earn out.

Say they (my publishers) give me a $1000 advance. Each book costs around $15. Once we sell enough to earn $1000, then I start getting royalties. I get them both about the same for each edition, so don't worry y'selves.

Also, my second book got an awesome review

Tarquinn
posted 04-14-2011 06:25:33 PM
So, about my PM, Parce...
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-14-2011 08:11:31 PM
Yeah. I misread that.

Do you want me to send you a signed book or...?

nem-x
posted 04-15-2011 02:47:55 AM
Send me a signed kindle version
nem-x
posted 04-18-2011 09:50:54 PM
Anyone else watch the game of thrones premiere?

Also started reading Hyperion

nem-x fucked around with this message on 04-18-2011 at 09:52 PM.

Dr. Gee
posted 04-19-2011 03:08:36 PM
quote:
nem-x wrote this stupid crap:

This is a good thing.

Tarquinn
posted 04-19-2011 03:58:09 PM
Harr.
Tarquinn
posted 04-19-2011 04:01:58 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Yeah. I misread that.

Do you want me to send you a signed book or...?

Oh, guess I was kinda drunk and incoherent when I wrote that PM.

Well, my plan is to ship your books to you, you work your signing magic on them, and then you ship them to me.

My question was if you want anything from Amazon I can gift you, that would cover the shipping cost to Germany for you. (So, not really a gift.)

Alternatively, I can reimburse you via PayPal.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-20-2011 03:47:52 PM
Or you can just give me an email address and I can get your shipping address from you and ship it to you and we call it fine since we have in fact known each other for six years now.

OR you can just give me a shipping address and I can send you bookplates for much lower cost.

Bookplates are basically stickers that I sign and then send you for you to stick in your book. Not pen to paper, but the next best thing.

p. sweet grafix, 2

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 04-21-2011 11:59:05 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about dark elf butts:

Jim Hines is great. I have Jig on my Amazon list, but I've been reading the fractured fairy tales he also writes and they're funny as heck.

You wouldn't really like my type of books, Nem, but Deth has been reading some things that might be more up your alley. He's been enjoying the science fiction of John Scalzi lately, especially Old Man's War, and if you like zombie books, he recently finished Patient Zero and had really enjoyed it as well.

Also, Gibson is always worth reading, and I'm also partial to Neal Stephenson. Snow Crash is a classic, but Deth says people shouldn't read Cryptonomicon without a math degree. I loved it.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-23-2011 12:48:25 PM
quote:
This one time, at nem-x camp:
Anyone else watch the game of thrones premiere?

Yep. Signed up for HBO again to watch it and True Blood Season 4. GoT kept pretty true to the books so far with the first episode, only deviating slightly on a few minor points to help compress the story for TV or to vocalize/visualize information that was conveyed in internal character dialogue.

I am impressed in what I've seen so far of the set design and most of the acting. I want more Direwolves though! They only showed Summer (yet un-named) beyond the scene of them dicovering the pups so far.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
nem-x
posted 04-25-2011 07:36:22 AM
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-26-2011 10:21:57 PM
Alternatively, the German editions are coming out soon.

Blindy.
posted 05-01-2011 08:37:02 PM
Ok Parce, I bought it.

Go buy a beer on me or whatever. (How much do you get per kindle order?)

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-01-2011 10:05:08 PM
I get jerked off by a spider monkey sent by my publisher.

I hope you enjoy it, though :3=

Peter
Pancake
posted 05-03-2011 12:48:26 AM
If you like Warhammer 40k I would recomend the Ciaphas Cain books as an enjoyable read.
Blindy.
posted 05-03-2011 07:18:49 PM
This is the most conversation I've ever seen in the middle of a pirate fight.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-04-2011 07:15:17 AM
to be fair, they are very loquacious pirates.
Blindy.
posted 05-04-2011 09:43:51 AM
Quite. I must say I enjoyed that aspect.
Tarquinn
posted 05-11-2011 02:40:12 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan was naked while typing this:
Or you can just give me an email address and I can get your shipping address from you and ship it to you and we call it fine since we have in fact known each other for six years now.

OR you can just give me a shipping address and I can send you bookplates for much lower cost.

Bookplates are basically stickers that I sign and then send you for you to stick in your book. Not pen to paper, but the next best thing.

p. sweet grafix, 2

Yeah, just ordered Amazon to ship your two books to your place. Screw stickers. I mean bookplates. Screw bookplates.

Thanks a lot, by the way. Will you ever come to Germany to present your book or something?

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: