EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Dawn of War II: Retribution
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-15-2011 10:18:10 AM
Pretty cool overall.

For those expecting a revisit of the excellent Dark Crusade in DOW2 fashion, you're not going to get it. No base building, which disappointed me as it was my favourite bit of Dark Crusade.

HOWEVER.

Playing as the Tyranids makes up for his. I'm having tons of fun eating people left and right. The campaigns are all very similar but begin to deviate after the Exterminatus fleet arrives with very interesting missions depending on which race you pick to play as. I've only played as the Tyranids and the Imperial Guard so far but fully intend on playing every race. The Imperial Guard are extremely weak until they get tanks, whereas the Tyranids pretty much bulldoze everything once you get venom cannons which are effective against damn near everything and upgradable for free.

All in all, fairly good fun. Don't go in expecting Dark Crusade and you'll enjoy it.

[EDIT: It also ties up the overarching storyline began in the original Dawn of War, which is a very nice touch.]

Mortious fucked around with this message on 03-15-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 03-15-2011 03:03:48 PM
The Orkz are glorious. However, much like playing through Vampire: Bloodlines as a Malkavian the first time through, I think playing as Orkz might have been about as hilarious as the game is going to get.

I was saddened by this.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-15-2011 03:19:55 PM
Proof that Tyranids are massively overpowered.

Play 1: Tyranids vs final boss = no losses, kill within 5 minutes.
Play 2: Imperial Guard vs final boss = burn through around 20 Leman Russ tanks, kill takes about 12 minutes.

Skaw
posted 03-16-2011 12:48:44 AM
Had Kayleths Skyleap glitch out, causing a never ending rain of plasma grenades wherever she stood.

Other 3 heroes died because I literally couldn't see what was happening to them from all the explosions with her zipping around so quickly, and I'm playing it on Very Hard. That's without the Volley trait too, thank god. Think my PC would've blown up if it was.

Still won the mission though.

Trick to making the Eldar campaign easy:
Use blue weapon package on Farseer for +5.0 Allies Energy Regen spear.
Max out Rohnahns combat skill.
Spam Impact.
Win.

quote:
Mortious had this to say about Robocop:
Proof that Tyranids are massively overpowered.

Play 1: Tyranids vs final boss = no losses, kill within 5 minutes.
Play 2: Imperial Guard vs final boss = burn through around 20 Leman Russ tanks, kill takes about 12 minutes.

The Ork campaign literally ends the moment you get the Nob Squad. Take Spookums and Mr. Nailbrain, give one Fightin' Juice, replace Brikkfist with Meaner Nobz Honor Guard. Set overwatch to produce Nob Squads. Waaagh! around town destroying absolutely everything.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 03-16-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-01-2011 12:17:53 PM
Orks become hilariously powerful end game, I literally didn't have a single one die while fighting the final boss. Bluddflag never dropped below 80% health and he was right in the thick of it.

Anywho, the Ork ending cinematic with the YouTube 1911 button pressed (bottom right corner) is fucking amazing.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-06-2011 07:40:43 PM
Does the retribution import your saves from the previous title?
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-07-2011 11:31:44 AM
No.

Different hero in the Blood Ravens campaign.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-07-2011 12:49:43 PM
Is the fate of the previous protagonists adressed at least?
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-07-2011 04:13:06 PM
Somewhat. Only in the Blood Ravens campaign.
Skaw
posted 04-08-2011 02:03:59 AM
quote:
Tarquinn thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Is the fate of the previous protagonists adressed at least?

Real spoilers here if you haven't made it to the Space Hulk in the Blood Ravens campaign.
Avitus is the cannon traitor, it's assumed that the Force Commander is doing his 100 year tour of penance or whatever you get at the end of Chaos Rising for dipping in to a bit of the old Chaos. No mention of Thaddeus aside from a piece of wargear I believe.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: