EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Playstation 3
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 03-14-2011 09:30:45 PM
After coca-cola gave me a free playstation move, a few controllers, and a copy of ea sports for winning that contest i posted a ways back I figured I might as well get a PS3 so I could actually use the swag coke gave me instead of spending my time writing run-on sentences on a message board while half asleep and unable to use my free gear that was mentioned earlier in this lengthy sentence that I am currently typing while half-asleep and somewhat punchy but plus a playstation three.

I now have a PS3.

What are some must-have ps3 only games?

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 03-14-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-14-2011 09:35:08 PM
Uncharted series, specifically the second one.

Infamous was pretty good. There's some fun stuff on PSN with the Pixeljunk series, Racers excluded.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 03-14-2011 09:40:48 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about John Romero:
Uncharted series, specifically the second one.

Infamous was pretty good. There's some fun stuff on PSN with the Pixeljunk series, Racers excluded.

I got the Costco bundle (I was too impatient for the Killzone bundle) which came with Uncharted 2, a remote, and a bunch of song downloads.

nem-x
posted 03-14-2011 10:50:17 PM
Valkyria Chronicles
MGS4

Not a lot of PS3 exclusive games

nem-x
posted 03-14-2011 10:50:56 PM
Free online play helps in choosing 360/ps3 versions though
Zair
The Imp
posted 03-14-2011 11:24:58 PM
Heavy Rain is very unique and pretty good. No real replay value, but worth a look.
Zair
The Imp
posted 03-14-2011 11:26:04 PM
God of War 3?
Willias
Pancake
posted 03-15-2011 01:03:41 AM
Demons Souls
Skaw
posted 03-15-2011 01:33:24 AM
quote:
Zair probably says this to all the girls:
Heavy Rain is very unique and pretty good. No real replay value, but worth a look.

It also has terrible animation, terrible acting, and terrible teeth.

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-15-2011 12:45:25 PM
quote:
Skaw had this to say about Optimus Prime:
It also has terrible animation, terrible acting, and terrible teeth.

Jarring sometimes. The kids are the worst probably. A few bad voices, but the four main character ones are good (though the FBI guy voice is a bit off).

Still worth trying.

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 03-15-2011 05:55:18 PM
Little Big Planet 1 & 2 are fun.

Mod Nation Racers is a blast as well.

3D Dot Game Heroes.

Killzone was a fun series but I enjoyed Resistance 2 more than all 3 Killzones.

Infamous.

If you like racing GT5 is fun, but only with a decent racing wheel.

The other suggestions listed are all good, except MGS4... It's fun in concept, but you are looking at playing time being around 10 hours, watching time around 10. Including the 2 hour finale movie.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 03-17-2011 06:13:56 PM
I don't have one yet (FFXIII Versus will probably change that) but I've heard a lot of good about Infamous. That is one on my list to get when I finally do get a PS3.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 03-17-2011 06:56:12 PM
Little Big Planet 2 is definitely worth picking up.

Infamous 1 was damn fun, I still enjoy replaying it every once in a while. Infamous 2 is coming out soon and looks good, but we'll see.

Resistance is a fun series if you like FPS games, as is Killzone. Nothing groundbreaking, but I enjoyed both series a lot.

If you like platformers, Ratchet & Clank is definitely worth picking up. Very, very fun games.

Uncharted 1/2 are good games, 2 is much better. Both worth a try. They feel like a less fan-servicey tomb raider to me, I dunno.

I would recommend renting Lair and Heavenly Sword. I found both games pretty fun, but there are very legitimate complaints about each and YMMV.

Other than that, every game I love is multi-console so I can't make more recommendations. I don't do the PSN thing that much so I can't comment, AFAIK it's got its hits and its misses like XBLA.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-17-2011 07:33:12 PM
Wait.

Wait.

Free mint condition still-in-box PS3?

Fucking sell it.

Maradon!
posted 03-17-2011 10:30:35 PM
The Uncharted series captures the spirit of the Indiana Jones adventure genre really well. They don't blow you away necessarily, but personally if they made 50 sequels I would buy and finish them all.

Lair is terrible even with the analog control patch and nigh unplayable with sixaxis. I can't understand why, I play "Wind" with sixaxis control and it's responsive and intuitive. I play Lair with the same system and it's like trying to use a laser pointer to coax a lazy cat into a plastic bag. The "snap" commands work about 20% of the time, the rest of the time you just want to complete the motion and hurl your fucking controller out the window.

How Japanesey is Heavy Rain? Anime has forever soured my tongue against the awkward lost-in-translation dialogue and absurd and irritating character archetypes endemic to Japanese works of fiction. Now, any game with a hint of that shit is violently rejected by my immune system, and I find myself spastically stuffing it back into the gamefly envelope as hives form on my palms. Demon Souls, I'm looking at you.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-17-2011 11:03:15 PM
I suggest God of War 3 as either a rental, or a very cheap used buy. It's a good game, and does well to finish up the trilogy, but it's fucking short. REALLY fucking short.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Skaw
posted 03-18-2011 12:32:16 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Maradon!:

How Japanesey is Heavy Rain?

Not Japanesey at all, considering it was made by David Cage, a Frenchman. But it's also pretty terrible. It's full of Europeans trying to play Americans. Ethan Mars plays like a terrible snuff film a lot of the time, Madison is plot-unnecessary and just obligatory T&A. Including an awkward shower scene, awkward sex scene, awkward be-sexy-to-squeeze-information scene, and anmultiple awkward pseudo-rape scene. NAHMAN JAYDENs story rolls unbelievably bad. The only good to come out of it are the Scott Shelbey(The only good actor) scenes. But at the end of the game, you're disappointed with those as well because of Cages shitty ability to cohesively tell a story.

Wow, fuck you guys for making me remember this piece of shit. I'm literally angry now.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 03-18-2011 at 12:37 AM.

Maradon!
posted 03-18-2011 06:56:37 AM
I figured because it involved origami that it'd be japanese and characters would be all saying shit like "You can almost feel the fear, it’s tangible!" or "At this rate we will all die!" or "My name's Naruto Uzumaki and I love ramen! BELIEVE IT!"

Then the main character would be this famous fourteen year old detective with zero confidence in himself. Supporting cast would pensively stare at him as he struggled with his inner demons, and he'd leave the game on a handful of occasions. Then he'd weep openly at trivial things.

The main villain would look like a girl.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 03-18-2011 at 06:59 AM.

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-18-2011 07:59:37 PM
Like Skaw said, not Japanese at all.

Also, like Skaw said, there are some awkward American accents.

Its a fun game. I was surprised how ofter a game in which the gameplay is QTE could be really intense.

I'm glad Skaw brought up the be-sexy-to-squeeze-information thing though. It stood out to me too when two separate female characters used it. Felt pretty awkward.

Regardless of all this, play it. Then start a spoiler Heavy Rain thread.

Zair fucked around with this message on 03-18-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-22-2011 09:58:35 AM
Heavenly Sword is like God of War with tits and poorer controls.
CBTao
Pancake
posted 03-23-2011 08:18:57 PM
quote:
This one time, at Mr. Parcelan camp:
Heavenly Sword is like God of War with tits and poorer controls.

Your statement would lead one to believe God of War was lacking in tits. This would be inaccurate.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 03-23-2011 08:47:49 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when CBTao wrote:
Your statement would lead one to believe God of War was lacking in tits. This would be inaccurate.

I'm not looking for sexual gratification with my videogames

I'm looking for a brief mindless escape from reality after a busy day to flush out my brain.

I just ordered Killzone 3 via gamefly.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 03-30-2011 07:35:54 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Optimus Prime:
The Uncharted series captures the spirit of the Indiana Jones adventure genre really well. They don't blow you away necessarily, but personally if they made 50 sequels I would buy and finish them all.

Lair is terrible even with the analog control patch and nigh unplayable with sixaxis. I can't understand why, I play "Wind" with sixaxis control and it's responsive and intuitive. I play Lair with the same system and it's like trying to use a laser pointer to coax a lazy cat into a plastic bag. The "snap" commands work about 20% of the time, the rest of the time you just want to complete the motion and hurl your fucking controller out the window.

How Japanesey is Heavy Rain? Anime has forever soured my tongue against the awkward lost-in-translation dialogue and absurd and irritating character archetypes endemic to Japanese works of fiction. Now, any game with a hint of that shit is violently rejected by my immune system, and I find myself spastically stuffing it back into the gamefly envelope as hives form on my palms. Demon Souls, I'm looking at you.

I dunno why but I never had a control problem with lair. That's why I said rent it, from what I hear some people just do really well with the controls while others cannot stand them in the slightest.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-30-2011 10:57:40 PM
I'm one of the people that cannot use the sixaxis controls in the slightest. They is awful.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-06-2011 07:38:44 PM
Should I buy a PS3 just for the blurayplayer?
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Zair
The Imp
posted 04-06-2011 10:51:33 PM
quote:
Tarquinn obviously shouldn't have said:
Should I buy a PS3 just for the blurayplayer?

No. Bluray players are cheaper than PS3s now.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 04-07-2011 09:32:37 PM
PS3 is pretty much the best bluray player, though fwiw.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 04-08-2011 01:43:30 PM
Why is that? Does it use special lasers?

Actually consoles with auto-sleeping wireless controllers are pretty terrible for watching dvd's or blue rays because you have to turn the controller back on and wait for it to sync up before you can pause a movie or rewind or whatever.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 04-08-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-08-2011 03:06:41 PM
I've still not watched a film on Blu-ray.
CBTao
Pancake
posted 04-08-2011 06:24:33 PM
quote:
From the book of Blindy., chapter 3, verse 16:
Why is that? Does it use special lasers?

Actually consoles with auto-sleeping wireless controllers are pretty terrible for watching dvd's or blue rays because you have to turn the controller back on and wait for it to sync up before you can pause a movie or rewind or whatever.

BluRay uses java to decode, as the PS3 has processors in it for rendering games, the time it takes to play your BluRay is drastically lower.

Also, the PS3 doesn't autosleep, I think you need to specifically turn that function on.

Zair
The Imp
posted 04-08-2011 06:42:55 PM
quote:
CBTao had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
BluRay uses java to decode, as the PS3 has processors in it for rendering games, the time it takes to play your BluRay is drastically lower.

Also, the PS3 doesn't autosleep, I think you need to specifically turn that function on.

The loading time thing is true from my experience w/ a PS3 vs my parents and their recently bought BRplayer.

Still not worth the 200 dollar price difference though.

Also, he meant auto-sleep on the wireless controllers, which I agree is moderately annoying.

Zair fucked around with this message on 04-08-2011 at 06:44 PM.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 04-08-2011 11:19:16 PM
quote:
Zair got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
The loading time thing is true from my experience w/ a PS3 vs my parents and their recently bought BRplayer.

Still not worth the 200 dollar price difference though.

Also, he meant auto-sleep on the wireless controllers, which I agree is moderately annoying.

My controller doesn't autosleep either.

But getting a PS3 just for Blu-Ray isn't wise, however, if you're going to get a PS3, you can be content that it is also the best Blu-Ray player out there.

Maradon!
posted 04-09-2011 12:09:04 AM
Sony only patched in autosleep for their controllers in the past month or so. You have to go in and turn it on manually.

I have it on because recharging your controllers is more annoying than turning them back on after you go look at an FAQ for the next collectable since every fucking game has TACOs these days.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-09-2011 04:35:13 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Maradon! said:
Sony only patched in autosleep for their controllers in the past month or so.

This is absolutely false.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-09-2011 06:34:36 AM
Color me an a/v novice, but I always assumed there was something more than load times that would make a blu-ray player the best. Guess that makes shopping easier.

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 04-09-2011 at 06:35 AM.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Zair
The Imp
posted 04-10-2011 05:35:35 AM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Robocop:

yeah, I think my controller has always auto-sleeped (auto-slept?).

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 04-11-2011 09:17:53 AM
I have never watched a blu-ray on a PS3, but I am pretty happy with my cheap ass samsung blu-ray player with wifi for netflix.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 04-11-2011 12:57:12 PM
If you're not going to play games or set up a media center, then yeah you don't need a PS3. But if you're already doing other things with it, you'll be able to be content knowing that you won't ever need to buy any other hardware for playing bluray because the PS3 does it all, and better. Even 3D bluray only requires a firmware update.
Maradon!
posted 04-11-2011 06:31:40 PM
quote:
Kegwening:

Maybe they patched auto sleep to be the default then?

I am absolutely positive that my controllers did not auto sleep before the most recent update.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 04-11-2011 07:01:01 PM
My controller still doesn't autosleep. And I like that.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: