EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Win7
nem-x
posted 03-05-2011 03:13:55 AM
So I just got an SSD and installed Win7 on it.

I put it so it never combines multiple instances of an open program, but is there a way to move each one individually on the task bar? Or even a third party program that can do this

For example I want to move firefox to the right of my D: and this shit happens

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-05-2011 03:40:26 AM
Better question. Why?

Do you have OCD?

nem-x
posted 03-05-2011 11:39:51 AM
I always had my taskbar ordered where its mirc, music directory, then browser, then whatever else is open. I used taskix when I had vista to move things around
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-05-2011 11:43:57 AM
oic

The only 7 mod I know of is Classic Shell, I doubt that would do what you're looking for but you may find it useful anyway.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-05-2011 04:12:44 PM
Do you have stuff pinned to the taskbar? In my experience, you just click and drag to rearrange them...
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

nem-x
posted 03-05-2011 04:43:47 PM
If I have two instances of a program open it lumps them into one bar that can't be separated.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-05-2011 05:08:07 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and nem-x was all like:
If I have two instances of a program open it lumps them into one bar that can't be separated.

I didn't get that part looking at the picture initially; I never actually noticed that behavior before this post. I'm not having any more luck than you in finding a way to change it. Best idea I can think of is to try some variety of Stardock product; aside from that kind of modding...maybe there's a registry hack of some sort?

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-05-2011 05:09:44 PM
how's the SSD treating you? I'm thinking of picking up one of Intel's new ones when they come out next month.
nem-x
posted 03-05-2011 05:31:40 PM
I got the intel x25m that was on sale for $170 off Newegg. It boots ridiculously fast and you can instantly start using the computer after login, but it is a fresh install and I haven't installed photoshop etc yet to really test it
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-06-2011 05:16:15 AM
I'm running an OCZ Revodrive SSD, the one you plug directly into a PCI-E slot so it's not bottlenecked by the Serial Bus.

Very expensive for 80GB, but loading Windows 7 Professional in like 4 seconds is nice.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-06-2011 01:27:17 PM
OCZ is nice so long as you never need to use your warranty
Nina
posted 03-06-2011 05:19:13 PM
Let me answer your question with a question: Why are you using the retrograde 95-style taskbar?

Set it to always combine, hide labels, and never look back.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-06-2011 05:37:18 PM
I prefer combine when full with labels on

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 03-06-2011 at 05:37 PM.

nem-x
posted 03-06-2011 05:39:34 PM
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-06-2011 05:43:56 PM
I like the combined and unlabled ones as it's easy to tell what they are from the icon alone.

However I still hate the new start menu and use Classic Shell to change it back to one that makes sense. NO, STOP TALKING. LALALALA NOT LISTENING LALALALA.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-06-2011 09:02:23 PM
The only thing you should use the start menu for nowadays is to launch programs by typing. There's no reason to select a program with your mouse through it

start button -> Star (hit enter) [starcraft 2 launches]

start button -> cont (hit enter) [control panel launches]

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-07-2011 04:45:18 PM
I just pin all my frequently-used shit to the task bar (which I hide by default, thank-you-very-much), so when I launch multiple instances, it all combines in the order I've already set and the nifty little preview lets me switch easily between.

Are SSDs big enough to be useful storage, now, or are we just talking about putting the OS on one?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-07-2011 07:56:04 PM
quote:
I suppose the same could be said of all Bloodsages...
I just pin all my frequently-used shit to the task bar (which I hide by default, thank-you-very-much), so when I launch multiple instances, it all combines in the order I've already set and the nifty little preview lets me switch easily between.

Are SSDs big enough to be useful storage, now, or are we just talking about putting the OS on one?

I was browsing them on newegg earlier today. Biggest I saw was 160gb, which is enough for your OS and key programs that are always running, along with a couple major games and maybe some photo/video editing software.

I'm pretty sure SSDs will never really be meant for simple storage unless they can somehow catch up to their disk-based predecessors.

Densetsu fucked around with this message on 03-07-2011 at 07:57 PM.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
nem-x
posted 03-07-2011 08:18:08 PM
You could blow 1000+ and get ~500gb ssd
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-08-2011 12:27:58 AM
You don't want a SSD as your everything-storage anyway because you'll wear it out by writing random useless shit with your media files
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 03-08-2011 01:23:11 PM
Yeah labels are important I constantly forget what the MIRC icon is for. Or the windows explorer folder icon.
nem-x
posted 03-08-2011 01:58:45 PM
Having to hover/click the icon in order to find the right open instance when you need to switch back and forth a lot is dumb youre dumb
Blindy.
posted 03-08-2011 02:04:36 PM
quote:
I bet nem-x's Mother is proud:
Having to hover/click the icon in order to find the right open instance when you need to switch back and forth a lot is dumb youre dumb

That's why god invented windows key + number button, you're the dumb one.

edit: If you have explorer as your second icon from the left, hit windows-2, and keep the windows key held down, then click on the window you want.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 03-08-2011 at 02:06 PM.

nem-x
posted 03-08-2011 02:08:14 PM
Blindy.
posted 03-08-2011 02:09:25 PM
you can also windows-2, then use tab to tab though instances of just that program.
Ryuujin
posted 03-09-2011 04:57:59 PM
Are you using the SSD as a system drive then installing your programs and games on a secondary sata? Was wondering if that's how it's done with SSDs.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-09-2011 09:18:16 PM
quote:
Die, Ryuujin! You don't belong in this world!
Are you using the SSD as a system drive then installing your programs and games on a secondary sata? Was wondering if that's how it's done with SSDs.

In this vein would it be okay to install, say, the current game you're playing, such as an mmo, for improved performance?

I'll be building a new rig with my income tax return, once I get up off my lazy ass and file it, and I've been considering an SSD for the OS and current MMO. Would this ruin the life of the drive?

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-09-2011 09:47:53 PM
Fucksake just install whatever you want on it.

Any SSD worth its salt will still take years to fail even when being abused daily.

nem-x
posted 03-09-2011 10:50:57 PM
From what I've read it will take hundreds of gigs being written every day for several years before it becomes a problem.

sa thread on ssd

I got my OS, Games, and apps on the ssd and still have ~40gigs leftover

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-09-2011 11:13:14 PM
Yeah, I plan on putting everything but media on there. No reason to have media on there, and it tends to take up a bunch of space anyway.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-10-2011 12:21:11 AM
So basically, yes, it'll work for exactly what I plan to use it for. Huzzah.

It's been 4 years since I built my current computer. Admittedly, I hadn't been keeping up on hardware development much during this time. I'm still doing a bit of research into the parts I want in the very little free time that I do have.

Densetsu fucked around with this message on 03-10-2011 at 12:22 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-10-2011 07:19:46 AM
I have all my videos and music on my network HDD because, yeah, as Kegwen said the only reason is the massive space it takes up.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-10-2011 10:13:00 AM
6tb of redundant storage on the server, about 1tb left free.

I need to buy more storage.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: