EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: SportClips sucks
Maradon!
posted 02-12-2011 04:21:43 PM
So I really wanted a different hairstyle from my usual "crewcut and slightly less crewcut on top" and I've been growing this shit out for about six months in preparation.

SportClips listed "Consultation and a Precision Haircut by a Guy-Smart Stylist" as among their services, which sounded promising, so I drive a half hour out to Monroeville to the only one nearby.

Imagine my dismay when I get out there and the place is staffed with the same all-female high school age kids that cut my hair at the ten dollar place. As usual, the "stylist" expected me to know how I wanted my hair cut and didn't really have any suggestions of her own to offer. Now, the definition of what it is to style hair seems, to me, to include coming up with the style. If you can't do that, are you really a stylist? Or are you just a hair cutter?

My hair cutter and I worked out a solution that could be creatively described as "what-I-had-only-slightly-shorter" and called it done. They were offering an upgrade to the MVP Package for free for your first visit, which included a hot towel, massage, and leave-in conditioner. If it were an actual massage conducted by a professional, I'd be down, but since it was someone's bored homecoming date holding a vibrator against my trapezius, I politely declined.

And after all this, the cost was still about 60% more than I pay at my usual place. I tipped 30% cause it wasn't my hair cutter's fault that her company made promises that it had no intention of properly keeping.

So, how exactly does a guy ask for a professional hair cut without being perceived as a homosexual for doing so?

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 02-12-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-12-2011 05:00:42 PM
I just go to the same salon as my sister. It's the price you pay for not having a generic guy cut.
Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 02-12-2011 05:45:16 PM
Perhaps look through some hairstyle books? It doesn't matter what they perceive, you are the one paying them the money.

On a somewhat related note, I'm thinking about getting my hair dyed blue.

Maradon!
posted 02-12-2011 06:10:35 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Vin~ booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Perhaps look through some hairstyle books?

My hair is very soft and fine and utterly unlike human hair. It's more like head-fur. For this reason, the styles worn by men in books tend to look ridiculous on me.

quote:
On a somewhat related note, I'm thinking about getting my hair dyed blue.

That should go well with your lavender car.

Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 02-12-2011 06:53:08 PM
Har Har.
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-12-2011 08:50:54 PM
Greatest hair cuts I ever got were at the barbershop in the NCO Club at Ramstein. Not that they cut hair all that much better than anybody I've ever gone to, but Claudia, the girl who cut my hair would always stick her tits in my back when she pulled me up straight any time I would slouch in the chair.

Needless to say, I slouched a LOT.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-12-2011 09:25:31 PM
Hair salons are like restaurants. If you go to one that has a chain, you're going to get the same as everywhere else.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 02-13-2011 12:28:58 AM
This might not work for you, but it gave me great results. After always washing my hair and going in with it just flat and telling them how I style it so that they would cut it appropriately, I decided that I would try something new since I was always getting a shitty cut out of the deal. This last time I decided, "fuck it," and went in with it already styled, including product, to show them how it was supposed to look. I then made them wash it out and cut it.

Best hair cut ever.

Edit: run-on sentence is lulz.

Densetsu fucked around with this message on 02-13-2011 at 12:31 AM.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-13-2011 01:23:58 AM
or just swallow your useless pride and go into a salon
Maradon!
posted 02-13-2011 01:25:34 AM
That sounds like a good idea except that I don't actually style my hair.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-13-2011 01:27:15 AM
Stylists can make appropriate decisions if you tell them that you don't plan on doing anything in the morning beyond a quick towel dry. I certainly don't do anything beyond that.

I pay $25 + $5 tip for my haircut btw

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 02-13-2011 at 01:29 AM.

nem-x
posted 02-13-2011 01:48:58 AM
Is your hair made of golden thread
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 02-13-2011 02:12:35 AM
Obviously you are looking at the wrong kind of Sport Clips.

(Yeah, that's German television.)

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-13-2011 06:12:10 AM
Go to a salon. Guy or girl, doesn't matter who's cutting as long as they're professional.

I'm also going to use this thread to mock, because my family owns a salon and I get mine cut by a professional for free. Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Maradon!
posted 02-13-2011 10:32:11 AM
quote:
Kegwening:
or just swallow your useless pride and go into a salon

That's probably what I'll do, I just don't... know a salon.

Number 1 Poster
posted 02-13-2011 03:29:15 PM
Shave your head. Seriously it's just easier. I pay $7 a month for razors (or however long my Mach3 4pack lasts) and 10 minutes every Sunday.

You're going to be bald soon anyways old man.

Maradon!
posted 02-13-2011 09:24:39 PM
My head is phrenologically abhorrent.
Peter
Pancake
posted 02-14-2011 05:50:35 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Duck Tales:
My hair is very soft and fine and utterly unlike human hair. It's more like head-fur. For this reason, the styles worn by men in books tend to look ridiculous on me.

Ten to one it's is cause styled hair usually means alook of zebra cum is worked into you hair. ....and as someone with super fine hair, keeping it rather short is probally the best way to go.

Otherwise I echo everyone else saying goto an actual salon, if not a local barber shop. try to find one with workers that have been doing it for a while, apparently in most beauty school they don't teach how to cut men's hair. which is odd since they kinda are a bit more profitable. (Back east the "barber" I went to told me she didn't want to put salon up on her shop since men don't goto the salon)

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-14-2011 08:15:05 AM
quote:
Maradon! screamed this from the crapper:

I go to the salon closest to me. Seriously, I just showed up one day and that was that.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Addy
posted 02-14-2011 09:25:10 AM
Echoing swallowing your pride and going to a salon. Make sure it's local and thanks to the power of the internet you can sometimes see reviews about salons! They will usually charge based on experience, plus seeing the owner adds an additional premium.

If you don't want to do that, then go find a barber. Go to the oldest guy you can find.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-14-2011 11:52:27 AM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Maradon! squealed:

I've had really good luck with Aveda salons in the past. Just find one with a moderately young clientele. I never tell them exactly how to style my hair, either. I just tell them it has to be short on the sides so it doesn't touch my ears, then tell them to make it look good. If they succeed, I go back; if not, I find somewhere else. A good stylist can work with you based on how often you want to get it cut, what image you want to project, etc--I usually ask for a cut that can be executive by day, but add a bit of gel and go reasonably stylish by night (within the bounds of how short I have to keep it, of course).

If you live out in the boondocks, though, just accept that you're screwed.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Maradon!
posted 02-14-2011 08:07:59 PM
I'm gonna go to this place where I once saw Marc-Andre Fleury walking his dog.
Addy
posted 02-16-2011 04:59:52 PM
I've had the opposite luck with Aveda salons. Then again, their products are mediocre for the price they are.

Bumble&Bumble salons have been the best in my experience, though!

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 02-17-2011 02:57:22 PM
I get my hair cut at an aveda salon, and I'm satisfied with what I get.
Maradon!
posted 02-17-2011 05:31:34 PM
Don't cry for me argentinaaaaa!~
Greenlit
posted 02-22-2011 01:16:01 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Thumbs Up!!
Shave your head. Seriously it's just easier. I pay $7 a month for razors (or however long my Mach3 4pack lasts) and 10 minutes every Sunday.

You're going to be bald soon anyways old man.

^^ only man in the thread

what's up cue ball buddy

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: