EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Dragon Age Origins
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 02-02-2011 07:06:44 PM
I picked it up because it was cheap during the steam christmas sales.

How do I stop getting my ass owned 100% of the time? Seems like I get mobbed by a shitload of guys and they take down my main character, and once he falls over everyone else just rapes my party.

My main character's been a warrior with strong shield skills, bravery (the thing that lets you parry more when you're surrounded), taunt, and the heaviest armor I can load him up with. But I still get fucking raped.

Maybe I fucked up going to Arl Eamon's first? Should I have gone elsewhere?

Zair
The Imp
posted 02-02-2011 09:44:55 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Khyron said this:
I picked it up because it was cheap during the steam christmas sales.

How do I stop getting my ass owned 100% of the time? Seems like I get mobbed by a shitload of guys and they take down my main character, and once he falls over everyone else just rapes my party.

My main character's been a warrior with strong shield skills, bravery (the thing that lets you parry more when you're surrounded), taunt, and the heaviest armor I can load him up with. But I still get fucking raped.

Maybe I fucked up going to Arl Eamon's first? Should I have gone elsewhere?

I don't remember much about the gameplay to give advice, but I went to Arl Eamon first too, so that's not the problem.

THe Mage Tower is technically the lowest level (even though there is some scaling), and you get some nice enhancements, but Arl Eamon's is the second lowest.

Zair fucked around with this message on 02-02-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Maradon!
posted 02-02-2011 09:51:10 PM
I remember the combat being based largely around getting stuck on terrain while your party gets slaughtered because their AI charges head first even when you specifically tell it not to.
Willias
Pancake
posted 02-02-2011 09:54:08 PM
Your problem is that your main character isn't a mage.

Honestly. Mage party members are fucking rare (there's two of them, one is an old lady, and Morrigan is a bitch), so it helps a ton if your main character is a mage as well.

That being said, do mage tower first. I'm pretty sure you can just pack up everything you're doing at Arl Eamon's and go somewhere else (if not, just make a save file and check it out). Mage Tower gets you a lot of stat boosts and said old lady mage party member.

Also, make sure Morrigan gets heal spells as you level her up. Mage that doesn't have at least some form of healing magic in DA is a shitty mage.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-02-2011 10:26:51 PM
Morrigan rules.

I was a rogue first time through, but I did spent most of the battle controlling one of my mages. I let the AI handle everyone else, with frequent pausing to reissue orders.

The game's more challenging encounters are balanced around constantly pausing, by the way.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 02-02-2011 10:27:51 PM
If you haven't figured out creating your tactics yet (\ key, I think), learn it. Helps a lot.

I played it as a shield fighter too and pretty much walked through the game.

Don't be afraid to pause the game and switch to each character if they're having issues assisting or whatever. It helps a lot. I have gone to Arl Eamon's every time I've played except once, when I did the mage tower first, which helped because then I had two mages for Arl Eamon's.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-03-2011 07:07:15 AM
Be a mage.

Go do the forest level.

Get the Arcane Warrior training from the gemstone.

Get the Spirit Healer training from a book.

Rock every fucking enemy in the game like he was made of tissue paper.

Nina
posted 02-03-2011 01:44:26 PM
Or, alternatively, if you want to retain some level of challenge, don't do what Mortious says.

The pause/reissue orders approach is crucial, really. My main disappointment was there isn't more incentive to think tactically as there was in BG2. Play a rogue and want to lay down some traps before a boss encounter? Nuh-uh, as soon as you enter the room, a scripted cutscene starts and bumps you out of stealth. Want to prepare for an encounter with particular spells and buffs? Go ahead and enjoy your... 2 or 3 buffs.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-03-2011 02:39:27 PM
The game becomes laughably easy beyond a certain level anyway.

It seems to scale fine until that point, then it's like it says "Nah, can't be bothered anymore".

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 02-03-2011 04:59:18 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Nina:
Play a rogue and want to lay down some traps before a boss encounter? Nuh-uh, as soon as you enter the room, a scripted cutscene starts and bumps you out of stealth. Want to prepare for an encounter with particular spells and buffs? Go ahead and enjoy your... 2 or 3 buffs.

This does not involve tactics whatsoever, as there was always one right answer: Spam a ton of buffs right at the start of any battle that will be challenging with a ton of pauses. Traps, I'll give you as adding somewhat to tactics, but the buffing system in BG2 added nothing tactically, since there were zero choices to be made.

quote:
Mortious was listening to Cher while typing:
The game becomes laughably easy beyond a certain level anyway.

It seems to scale fine until that point, then it's like it says "Nah, can't be bothered anymore".

Pretty much this. Especially if you're a shield warrior. They become unkillable juggernauts. For probably the last 20% of the game, I took MAYBE one damage when I was hit with any sort of attack. This continued through the expansion, even when I got up to 1000+ HP.

I still immensely enjoyed the game, the story was pretty well done. Plus, Zevran was an awesome character imo.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 02-03-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Nina
posted 02-03-2011 05:51:44 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Captain Planet:
This does not involve tactics whatsoever, as there was always one right answer: Spam a ton of buffs right at the start of any battle that will be challenging with a ton of pauses. Traps, I'll give you as adding somewhat to tactics, but the buffing system in BG2 added nothing tactically, since there were zero choices to be made.

There were plenty of choices to make actually. Lots of buffs didn't last long enough for a dragon fight, and since the old D&D system had you forget spells after casting, you had to plan each buff carefully and which ones were so indispensable you'd recast them mid-fight.

This made it so you actually spent more time thinking before the big battles proper than during, which depending on how you feel could be a bad or a good thing.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-03-2011 06:27:52 PM
I think I crafted and laid some traps to get the achievement, then didn't bother with them ever again.
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 02-09-2011 09:01:43 PM
Been a little while since I played, so don't remember the specifics, but from what I remember, easiest way I found was controlling a mage, then doing two of those glyph type spells on top of each other, which caused all the enemies to get stunned. Then just mop em up while they're stunned.
Maradon!
posted 02-09-2011 10:40:31 PM
I'm responding to comments that nobody made. Don't mind me.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 02-09-2011 at 10:42 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: