EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Were you aware...
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-02-2011 02:44:55 PM
.. that Duke Nukem Forever is actually being released this year?

2K Games bought the rights and finished it off.

Yep. Even looks pretty good.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-02-2011 04:37:03 PM
Specifically, Gearbox (independent) bought the rights to the entire IP and finished it off.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-02-2011 05:22:10 PM
You're correct, my bad. 2K is the publisher.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 02-02-2011 05:44:09 PM
Duke Nukem The Manhattan Project was a 3d graphics 2d sidescrolling shoot and jump like the classic duke games that was far better than you would have ever realistically thought. Rather old by today's standards, but well worth a look for anyone... in preperation or something? not sure
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 02-02-2011 08:41:28 PM
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-02-2011 10:49:10 PM
and oddly no word on a CE for it or any kind of pre-order spiffy.

Although for folks on Consoles there should be an auto-unlock of a trophy/achievement: "I waited 14 years for this S&%*!"

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Skaw
posted 02-02-2011 11:13:00 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
and oddly no word on a CE for it or any kind of pre-order spiffy.

Although for folks on Consoles there should be an auto-unlock of a trophy/achievement: "I waited 14 years for this S&%*!"

And for PC Players? It's coming out on Steam you know. You could've just said there'd be an auto-unlock achievement, since it's hardly a thing only console gamers have.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-03-2011 01:14:50 AM
Wasn't aware it was going to be on steam. Haven't looked at their catalog lately.
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Maradon!
posted 02-03-2011 08:35:14 PM
Yeah, I gotta wonder if the people who pre-ordered it at gamestop in 2004 still actually have an effective pre-order.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 02-03-2011 11:08:35 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Maradon! was all like:
Yeah, I gotta wonder if the people who pre-ordered it at gamestop in 2004 still actually have an effective pre-order.

Hah, someone on /v/ actually posted a picture of their 2004 pre-order receipt

There should be a special edition just for those people

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-03-2011 11:33:28 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Skaw wrote:
And for PC Players? It's coming out on Steam you know. You could've just said there'd be an auto-unlock achievement, since it's hardly a thing only console gamers have.

And for the record, I can find no mention of it being on Steam (although with other Gearbox/2k games being on Steam, this is odd) nor can I find a way to pre-order it from Steam.

My original statement still stands at this point.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-04-2011 02:07:47 AM
If it's coming out on PC and it doesn't say Blizzard or Stardock on the box, it will be on Steam. Unless they're retarded.
Skaw
posted 02-04-2011 02:14:06 AM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator had this to say about Pirotess:
And for the record, I can find no mention of it being on Steam (although with other Gearbox/2k games being on Steam, this is odd) nor can I find a way to pre-order it from Steam.

Borderlands owners on Steam got access codes to the First Access Club for DNF.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 02-04-2011 at 02:14 AM.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-04-2011 02:48:14 AM
quote:
Skaw impressed everyone with:
Borderlands owners on Steam got access codes to the First Access Club for DNF.

Not all of them. I own Borderlands, bought it through Steam, got Jack and Shit.

Skaw
posted 02-04-2011 06:56:15 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator wrote this stupid crap:
Not all of them. I own Borderlands, bought it through Steam, got Jack and Shit.

Yes, all of them. Check your Key Codes for Borderlands through steam.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 02-06-2011 01:52:03 AM
quote:
Mortious probably says this to all the girls:
.. that Duke Nukem Forever is actually being released this year?

2K Games bought the rights and finished it off.

Yep. Even looks pretty good.

Yep, the resurrection of Duke Nukem was the big news at the last PAX

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Cherveny
Papaya
posted 02-09-2011 09:05:45 PM
My expectations at this point are for this to be another Dia-Katana. Of course, would be happy to be wrong.
Maradon!
posted 02-09-2011 10:35:49 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Cherveny booooze lime pole over bench lick:
My expectations at this point are for this to be another Dia-Katana. Of course, would be happy to be wrong.

I hope it is a massive flop. It's value as an object lesson would far outweigh the value of yet another six hours of utterly generic FPS gameplay that it promises to deliver.

Cherveny
Papaya
posted 02-10-2011 03:54:11 AM
quote:
Maradon! thought about the meaning of life:
I hope it is a massive flop. It's value as an object lesson would far outweigh the value of yet another six hours of utterly generic FPS gameplay that it promises to deliver.

But is it a lesson anyone would learn? There have been TONS of crapware published in the past, and none have dissuaded publishers/developers from making the same mistakes, over and over.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-10-2011 04:15:20 AM
Except does Gearbox (who gives a shit about 2k?) deserve the nearly decade-and-a-half of angst, "I told you so", and other shit that would hit them like a brick shithouse?

I mean, yeah.. probably wasn't the wisest decision to grab this property, but fuck.. they actually managed to get the game out in a pretty respectable amount of time given that they didn't even exist when Duke Nukem 3d was published or when DNF was announced, etc, etc. Right at 2 years from when 3d Realms went tits up to a released product isn't unreasonable.

Although I'm seeing it listed as a "Modified Unreal 2.5 Engine" powering the game... Um. That seems a little odd, especially since Borderlands is listed as a "Heavily Modified Unreal 3 Engine" game.

Mightion Defensor
posted 02-10-2011 02:58:34 PM
Consider this article on Kotaku. After reading it, I'm looking forward to it even more myself.

Besides, after 12 years, how can you NOT buy it, if only for curiosity? That was a rhetorical question, by the way.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-10-2011 09:41:06 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Random Insanity Generator was all like:
Although I'm seeing it listed as a "Modified Unreal 2.5 Engine" powering the game... Um. That seems a little odd, especially since Borderlands is listed as a "Heavily Modified Unreal 3 Engine" game.

It would've taken even longer if they'd invested the time to migrate to a new engine.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-10-2011 10:43:59 PM
Did some further digging and it seems that they didn't just buy the IP rights, they also got some of the employees and let them finish it up. So Gearbox really didn't have shit to do with this other than the last minute "have some money and finish this damn game".

Hopefully it doesn't bite them in the ass.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-11-2011 11:52:42 PM
http://is.gd/BallsofSteel

Maradon!
posted 02-12-2011 02:13:38 PM
quote:
Kegwening:
It would've taken even longer if they'd invested the time to migrate to a new engine.

They already changed engines, what, three times already?

Skaw
posted 02-13-2011 03:24:15 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about pies:
They already changed engines, what, three times already?

Pretty much. Broussard was the sole reason the game kept getting pushed back because he saw how things were being released during development and had his guys start over to match what was going on. Several times.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: