EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Who else is getting dumped on?
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 02-01-2011 07:29:10 PM
Nasty ice storm rolling along through Indiana tonight. I know we have others in the general Midwestern area. How are things where the rest of you are?

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 02-01-2011 08:11:25 PM
It's been warm and humid in Tennessee, so snow is awfully doubtful here. Well, in Jackson, anyway. Been raining all day, though.

I heard a few places are getting two feet of snow or more

KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 02-01-2011 08:50:57 PM
Yep. I think that was the more northern part of the storm. We got the icy stuff here.

Dave
)_(
posted 02-01-2011 09:03:21 PM
Kenosha, WI here. Alot of wind and some snow here but, the worst is coming around midnight.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-02-2011 08:13:13 AM
I had to beat the shit out of my pickup truck to get the ice off of the windows and windshield. I'm very glad I remembered not to engage my e-brake when I parked it last night.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 02-02-2011 08:43:38 AM
I'm okay, but up north is getting hammered worse than Hurricane Katrina by Cyclone Yasi.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 02-02-2011 12:20:45 PM
edit: New England

It's coming down nonstop (sometimes turning to rain so the snow can turn to slush then freeze) but the town's doing such a good job at maintaining the roads that it doesn't really matter. The snow banks are getting ridiculously huge (much taller than I).

It's days like this that remind me how spoiled my community is.

I do admit that things can get a little unnerving at times when the roads get slippery - I came close to getting in an accident yesterday when the car behind me was unable to stop at a stop sign (he could dodge even though he couldn't stop/slow down so I wasn't hit or forced into traffic). Also, stopping my car at the bottom of a hill for a red light sometimes feels like I'm waiting to get hit form behind during the more brutal days.

edit2: Only a little less than couple feet expected for today/yesterday so nothing too off the chart's right now.

edit3: I wish there was a way to reach my roof to clear it

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 02-02-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Razor
posted 02-02-2011 09:52:19 PM
Well, it was Sunny and pristine clear at work.... just sitting at 18F (-8C) with a windchill moving between 0 and -5F (-18C to -20C), good thing I had meetings on campus today... which meant that I only had to spend about 2 hours at my office.

What's been pushing the storm out east is also pushing the wind our way as well...

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 02-02-2011 11:26:21 PM
We've been snowed in for going on 3 days here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area of Texas.

For me, it's not so much, "Snow covering your door so you can't get it open" snowed in, as it is, "surrounded on all sides by steep, curved hills that are much too treacherous to attempt while driving an oldsmobile" snowed in.

It rained at first, then turned to freezing rain, and then snow. And then it hasn't gotten up above 20 degrees, and the sun hasn't really come out. So layer of ice under layer of snow in a place where we can go years without snowfall.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 02-03-2011 06:13:15 AM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about dark elf butts:
We've been snowed in for going on 3 days here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area of Texas.

For me, it's not so much, "Snow covering your door so you can't get it open" snowed in, as it is, "surrounded on all sides by steep, curved hills that are much too treacherous to attempt while driving an oldsmobile" snowed in.

It rained at first, then turned to freezing rain, and then snow. And then it hasn't gotten up above 20 degrees, and the sun hasn't really come out. So layer of ice under layer of snow in a place where we can go years without snowfall.

That sucks.

Statistically we may have it worse but we are used to it we have the equipment on standby to deal with stuff like this. Our drivers - while the worst in the country during normal conditions - understand how to drive on snow and ice.

This shit isn't normal for you guys. You don't have the equipment or and driving in/on this stuff isn't second nature.

So.... when I say "that sucks" I'm not being sarcastic.

edit: HOWEVER - if the snow here isn't preventing us from using our gas grills you guys shouldn't let it stop you from BBQing.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 02-03-2011 at 06:15 AM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-03-2011 06:38:30 AM
No snow yet. It's too cold for it up here in the mountains.

It is, however, so cold that I have gone from man to woman and then to some sexless being entirely. I found others like myself and we built a utopia free of discrimination, bound together by our mutual fear of the cold. We have come to call ourselves the Unspoken, as our voices tend to be abnormally high-pitched. Join us.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 02-03-2011 07:10:37 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Mr. Parcelan said this:
No snow yet. It's too cold for it up here in the mountains.

It is, however, so cold that I have gone from man to woman and then to some sexless being entirely. I found others like myself and we built a utopia free of discrimination, bound together by our mutual fear of the cold. We have come to call ourselves the Unspoken, as our voices tend to be abnormally high-pitched. Join us.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2051/does-it-ever-get-too-cold-to-snow

How cold is it up there exactly?

It was cold enough for my oil tank to freeze up here a couple weeks ago and that's cold enough for me. Had to run of diesel.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 02-04-2011 08:59:04 PM
The snow mixed together with ice and my yard and sidewalk is just one big solid mass of white that you can skate on. Went out tonight to try to break it up some to give better traction.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: