EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Kindle
nem-x
posted 01-10-2011 03:53:53 AM
So I got a kindle and it's really easy to install a Font/Screensaver hack so you can put your own images onto it (600x800 grayscale .png file) instead of the default ones.

Here's one I stole to test it out and it's pretty awesome

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-10-2011 12:10:06 PM
I'm enjoying my NookColor since I liberated it from the locked down config that BN shipped it with.

Although I do miss the 3g that my Nook had. But now my mother enjoys it.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Maradon!
posted 01-10-2011 05:49:33 PM
Yeah, the screen saver hack is pretty much the only thing the Kindle doesn't unlock by default.

I played with the Nook Color in the store the other day and I thought it was pretty sweet. Half a step away from reader and toward pad. One less reason to ever buy an ipad.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-10-2011 10:44:22 PM
Once the proper 'adjustments' are made to it it's even closer.

One major use I had planned for it however has been killed, not by BN but by WotC. Fuckers went and released a very shitty online character builder app and quit supporting their standalone app which had an android app made to read the data files. So much for not needing to carry the CharSheet with me to games.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
nem-x
posted 01-11-2011 06:42:53 AM
MTG art makes for good screensavers

Maradon!
posted 01-12-2011 06:47:09 PM
Do you really need to convert to greyscale?

I just kinda figured it did that on it's own.

nem-x
posted 01-12-2011 06:54:57 PM
I dunno but I guess it makes it easier to adjust levels and see what it would look like without color
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-12-2011 10:22:58 PM
I know that for the original Nook you didn't, but if it was already grayscale it did display faster...
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 01-22-2011 08:02:30 PM
once you hack your kindle, can you un-hack it? Is it as simple as removing the files or is it even possible?
Maradon!
posted 01-22-2011 09:03:16 PM
quote:
x--Norim StumpfighterO-('-'Q) :
once you hack your kindle, can you un-hack it? Is it as simple as removing the files or is it even possible?

The hack that nem linked specifically includes a file to uninstall the jailbreak.

Maradon!
posted 01-22-2011 09:46:00 PM

Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 01-23-2011 02:39:03 AM
any other good screensavers? I've scoured google. Not much in B&W
nem-x
posted 01-23-2011 04:24:37 AM
Just look for tall images and resize/crop em to 600x800
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 01-27-2011 02:47:46 AM
Thanks for your help Nem.

Any suggestions for books to read? I got a file of 2500 books to dig through. I'm looking for new authors to try out.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-27-2011 07:58:53 AM
quote:
Norim Stumpfighter said this about your mom:

Any suggestions for books to read? I got a file of 2500 books to dig through. I'm looking for new authors to try out.

You are new to reading, aren't you?

It would help if you could name one or a few genres you're interested in. Just "books" is awfully unspecific.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 01-27-2011 08:21:12 AM
generally fantasy. no, I'm not new. but thanks.

I've read most of the "mainstream" authors: Tolkien, Martin, Jordan, Goodkind (blech). I've always loved Salvatore and Greenwood even though they're not the most imaginative writers. I am willing to try most Genres though.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-27-2011 08:54:10 AM
Well, okay then. I've mostly stopped reading fantasy about 15 years ago or so, but the one series I've read in that time was The Black Company by Glen Cook. I picked it up because it deviates from the standard fantasy formula of "one hero/group fight against the evil flavour of the day". I really enjoyed that series.

Also, one of the best books I have read in the last ten years is A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (and it's prequel A Deepness in the Sky, but the order doesn't really matter).

Almost on the same level quality-wise is the Hyperion Cantos, a series of books by Dan Simmons.

If you enjoy military sci-fi (like I do), I can kinda recommend the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. It's a guilty pleasure of mine and I enjoy it despite of its many flaws (military=GOOD!, politicians=BAD!, the main character is the biggest mary sue I have ever seen).

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-27-2011 09:38:03 AM
quote:
Maradon! still thinks SARS jokes are topical, as evidenced by:

[xIMG]http://maradon.makeitorky.com/screensavers/darmok.png[/IMG]

Sokath, his eyes uncovered!

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-27-2011 10:42:26 PM
quote:
Norim Stumpfighter had this to say about dark elf butts:

Have you read the Dresden Files? They're a pretty entertaining series of books. They're urban fantasy genre, but have good characters, witty dialogue and interesting plotlines.

Lyinar Ka`Bael fucked around with this message on 01-27-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-27-2011 11:23:19 PM
quote:
This one time, at Lyinar Ka`Bael camp:
Have you read the Dresden Files? They're a pretty entertaining series of books. They're urban fantasy genre, but have good characters, witty dialogue and interesting plotlines.

And Book 13 got delayed till July. Which explains why I wasn't seeing his itinerary for the book signing. Still wondering if I'll make another trip to Houston or if it will be closer this time.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 01-30-2011 12:27:09 AM
Of course, you can't mention fantasy if you don't mention Terry Pratchett. I mean, it's very nearly blasphemous.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 02-20-2011 10:51:12 PM
Ok, I got a kindle.

Someone explain to me why you should have to jailbreak this mother fucker to use custom backgrounds!

Maradon!
posted 02-21-2011 06:35:50 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Blindy. who doth quote:
Ok, I got a kindle.

Someone explain to me why you should have to jailbreak this mother fucker to use custom backgrounds!

It is kinda silly. I can only think that it was just a low priority on the feature list for the firmware programmers.

But I lost my kindle, so, that's that for me.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: