EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Civilization V
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 09-22-2010 09:01:54 AM
So, anyone else get this concentrated dosage of crack? Friggin loving it massively

Quick rundown for those not in the know, but they completely redid a LOT of stuff for the better

-HEXES! Yes, no more grid.
-Combat completely changed, one unit per tile, no more auto fights to the death. Combat now works very similar to Advance Wars in terms of the actual combat. Stack of doom gone, now you have frontlines and ranged units that can attack multiple tiles.
-Civics now completely revamped into a 10 tree system where you can invest freely into various ones to unlock further bonuses among them. Shitton more possibilities
-AI acts like a player now and makes decisions on whether or not it will help them win them the game, not because of how much they disapprove of your civic choices

First starcraft 2 and now this, argh my free time

Mightion Defensor
posted 09-22-2010 01:15:14 PM
Oh, I got the $100 CE yesterday...

My thoughts:

1. ENOUGH WITH THE TRADING POSTS YOU STUPID WORKERS! I've got a city that barely makes enough food when surrounded by farms, and you come by and replace the farms with trading posts, causing starvation! Even when the focus is set to Food!

2. I giggled the first time I sent a Fighter to kill a Longbowman unit. They all died.

3. I'm not sure what I think of the fact that you don't need to build transports for land units. I do know what I think of the fact that the AI can kill mine in one hit with a naval unit, but it takes at least two ranged attacks for me to kill one of theirs.

4. I love how you can buy units with gold, without interrupting production, but how do you hurry something you already started?

5. Man, it takes forever to build stuff. And research it.

6. I wish I could automate city production. I hate being literally yanked away from a war because East Guhungaland Springs wants me to choose whether to build a Market or a Temple next.

7. No road/rail spaghetti! Looks better, but it seems to harm travel times.

8. A hundred bucks for the CE and the manual is a PDF file.

9. Two games and I still haven't seen a bronze deposit.

Any way, more later.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 09-22-2010 01:18:30 PM
Two days to go.

Actually three, as I won't have time on Friday. Too busy partying.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Vorago
posted 09-22-2010 01:24:38 PM
I like land units becoming sea transports because it removes an unneccessary step for staging sea attacks. Simplifies things without destroying any of the functionality. Honestly in Civ4 launching any form of aquatic assault was just a SHITTON more complex and pointlessly annoying than a land one because of having to juggle transports and carrying capacities

After all my time climbing the difficulties in Civ4 I just cannot automate my workers, ever

Mightion Defensor
posted 09-22-2010 02:24:10 PM
One problem with automating workers is that there are two settings - On, and Off. You can't tell them to only improve the nearest city, or make a trade network. I'm already sick of looking at trading posts everywhere.
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 09-22-2010 04:21:33 PM
I'm loving this game with an intense passion. It's better than Civ 4 in basically every possible way and I loved that game.

I haven't automated anything (with the possible exception of puppet cities, but there are good reasons to do those) and I probably spend 1/3 the time micro-managing empire building than I did in Civ 4.

The whole game is brilliant, the advisors are actually helpful, and it's fucking beautiful.

Also, the pacing of the game is much improved. Playing a "standard" game in Civ 5 actually gives you enough time between major research points to partake in a war without making your units obsolete before they've even hit the field. I just destroyed Rome + 3 strong city states all in the space of the mid-Medieval to the early Renaissance and never thought my research or production was outpacing my ability to wage war.

And city-states. Oh sweet jesus city states. I love them so much, those needy little bitches.

Dr. Gee fucked around with this message on 09-22-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Vorago
posted 09-22-2010 06:59:47 PM
Killing ships from the shore with archers is amazing. Having said boats join me because I am Suleiman is even more amazing.

And yeah to city states, at first I was like "Hmm, i dunno" but after dumping gold and killign some barbs for one, my cities are getting a shitton of extra food...

But now Japan declared war on them and they are offering me a giant reward for killing 3 japanese units

This war better be worth it

Mightion Defensor
posted 09-23-2010 03:39:29 AM
Wait just a minute... a four-gig install, and there aren't even any victory movies when you win? What a letdown after this Domination victory. :/ No step-by-step recap like at the end of Civ 4?
Vorago
posted 09-23-2010 05:39:51 AM
Oh god i killed japan, then Siam went to war with me... no biggie, started kicing HIS ass...

the entire fucking planet just went to war against me for being too strong. grr. So far so good but I somehow fear a combined force is marching on me that is gonna blot out the damn sun.

The AI is a lot... more interesting now.
I was building up a huge army outside Japan and he suddenly showed up and went "I can see you dipshit, if you are going to attack me just be a man and do it already" so I ended up losing relations with everyone else when I said I wasn't going to attack him and later did

Was actually sort of creepy to see, not what I expect from the AI

Mightion Defensor
posted 09-23-2010 02:13:03 PM
Yeah, I got called names for that too. My history for such bastardry goes back to Civ 2, where once IO proposed an alliance to an envoy. His reply? "Do you take us for FOOLS? We know very well what happens to your 'friends'!"
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-23-2010 04:52:01 PM
I always play as the Romans.

Because the idea of Roman legions launching missiles at barbarian hordes fills me with glee.

Mightion Defensor
posted 09-24-2010 12:07:29 AM
Even though I'd already won the Science Victory (by building a spaceship), I just polished off Gandhi with my Giant Death Robot.

I mourn for my Helicopter Gunship that got caught in the blast radius of the one Atomic Bomb I set off.

On another note... the endings are... lame. No cinema, just a static image with the Exit to Menu/WJOMT buttons. That and a Demographics screen and a Hall of Fame screen are all you get. Did they run out of development time or something? I loved victories in Civ IV, since you could "watch" the game on the History screen afterwards, and bask in your own awesome.

Not only that... Not only was the spaceship only made of six parts - 3 boosters, engine, stasis chamber, and cockpit, there was no ceremony when you did deliver a part to your capital - you can "see" a tiny graphic of it as part of your city, but that's pretty much it.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 09-24-2010 11:21:29 AM
Two days in a row I've been afflicted with "one more turn" syndrome that ended up with me getting ~4 hours of sleep last night, and ~5 hours the night before.

Fuck Civilization. I hate it so much but I can never stop playing. I hate it BECAUSE I can never stop playing.

Khyron fucked around with this message on 09-24-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Khyron
posted 09-27-2010 03:35:47 PM
Started a new game as rome. Met Arabia early on, then Aztecs and Siam. Arabia expanded into territory I wanted, so as soon as Legions and Knights were available, I grabbed the territory easily. Arabia was scared shitless once I wiped out every single unit they had; they begged for peace and gave me half their empire, which I took.

Then I realised that Mecca still has the Pyramids, and I wanted my workers to have the boost... so Arabia had to fall.

Next Montezuma started building all kinds of shit near me, encroaching on my territory (I miss the old culture borders, a spread-out empire ends up with asshole AI building in between your cities), so of course he had to go. After I took half his empire he called it quits on the war; the rest of his shit is too far away for me to care.

Now Siam is building too close to me. In ~20 turns I'll have Radar researched, and I love love love love LOVE bombers in this version of the game. My air force is going to fuck up Siam so bad, I absolutely cannot wait. Sadly, I have fuck all for oil, but I've got aluminum out the ass...

Mightion Defensor
posted 09-27-2010 04:56:12 PM
Right now, I'm playing as France. Near me, is the juggernaut Roman Empire. Even my Military Advisor shits himself when he thinks about Rome's military. "They.. could wipe us off the planet!"

That is, until Rome attacked me a little while ago. I pissed him off by buying a tile that was close to his border.

To make a long story short, while he did capture one of my cities for about half a turn (which is still long enough to strip the improvements, grr); he lost a metric fuckton of units in the process, mostly to my Musketeers. Said musketeers caused Gandhi to shit himself and ask for peace when they started showing up when he attacked me last night.

A few turns later, I had Riflemen chewing up his trebuchets and legions. Needless to say, he was quite happy to accept peace when I offered it to him... I think I'm going for a Culture win, since I'm playing as Napoleon, so I didn't really want any of his cities.

The AI cannot fight wars for crap on Warlord, it seems. Still fun.

Vorago
posted 09-27-2010 07:13:43 PM
Protip. Attacking units get a 15% bonus if the unit they are attacking has a 2nd one of your units adjacent to it, on any side. Flanking bonus. Normal combat bonus anyone can get. Rather than have unit A move in and attack then have unit B go in and attack, move both next to the unit firstm then attack, otherwise the first unit doesn't get a flanking bonus,

This is different than the honor social policy bonus that gives 15% for your units being adjacent to other friendlies. Stacks with each other though.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-27-2010 09:37:13 PM
After playing for a good five hours or so, I'm finding this distinctly "meh" compared to Civ 4; which was a masterpiece imho.
Khyron
posted 09-27-2010 10:21:49 PM
quote:
Vorago had this to say about Captain Planet:
Protip. Attacking units get a 15% bonus if the unit they are attacking has a 2nd one of your units adjacent to it, on any side. Flanking bonus. Normal combat bonus anyone can get. Rather than have unit A move in and attack then have unit B go in and attack, move both next to the unit firstm then attack, otherwise the first unit doesn't get a flanking bonus,

This is different than the honor social policy bonus that gives 15% for your units being adjacent to other friendlies. Stacks with each other though.

What's your opinion of the civ bonuses?

I'd really like to try out the Bushido bonus of Japan, seems like it'd be incredibly powerful to me. My next playthrough I'll do that.

Babylon is laughably easy to dominate tech with, since you're spawning great scientists every 100ish turns or so.

Rome is fun so far, the 25% production bonus was pretty mild early in the game but late-game it really manages to make one hell of a difference. Produce a workshop, windmill, and factory and my cities can crank out buildings like there's no tomorrow.

Is there any wonder or improvement or anything I can use to beat Unhappiness due to Population? If I can do anything at all to reduce it I can end up with an unbeleivable happiness rating and golden ages out the ass.

Khyron
posted 09-27-2010 11:08:00 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
One problem with automating workers is that there are two settings - On, and Off. You can't tell them to only improve the nearest city, or make a trade network. I'm already sick of looking at trading posts everywhere.

If you go to your Documents, My Games, Civilization 5, and open up 'UserSettings.ini' there's an option to make your workers NOT replace improvements and only build where there are none.

Vorago
posted 09-27-2010 11:40:26 PM
Yeah, Babylon is rather broken when abused properly. An academy that soon when techs are under 100 beakers each is outright stupid. Really not sure if them or India is the best, suppose they are broken in different ways.

India... yeah, the reduction from population greatly outweighs the increase from cities so, in direct contrast to the intent of the ability, India will inevitably become a map covering juggernaut more often than not.

Japan is all around solid, the cheap ass shit their units can pull off is a complete pain in the ass.

Germany is the zerg rush of Civ. Once multiplayer isn't a bug ridden pile I imagine you will see a lot of people Brute swarming with him.

Rest are pretty good to complete crap (Ottoman's ability is so bad it makes my nuts hurt). Currently trying Arabia, partially for the Arab Trader achievement, but want to try China next for double attacking ChoKuNo.

My arrows will blot out the sun!

Vorago
posted 09-27-2010 11:41:07 PM
quote:
Khyron stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
If you go to your Documents, My Games, Civilization 5, and open up 'UserSettings.ini' there's an option to make your workers NOT replace improvements and only build where there are none.

Also you can make it not play the (mostly) unskippable opening intro in there too.

Mightion Defensor
posted 09-27-2010 11:57:48 PM
quote:
From the Book of Armaments, Vorago did read;
Yeah, Babylon is rather broken when abused properly. An academy that soon when techs are under 100 beakers each is outright stupid. Really not sure if them or India is the best, suppose they are broken in different ways.

India... yeah, the reduction from population greatly outweighs the increase from cities so, in direct contrast to the intent of the ability, India will inevitably become a map covering juggernaut more often than not.

Japan is all around solid, the cheap ass shit their units can pull off is a complete pain in the ass.

Germany is the zerg rush of Civ. Once multiplayer isn't a bug ridden pile I imagine you will see a lot of people Brute swarming with him.

Rest are pretty good to complete crap (Ottoman's ability is so bad it makes my nuts hurt). Currently trying Arabia, partially for the Arab Trader achievement, but want to try China next for double attacking ChoKuNo.

My arrows will blot out the sun!

I played a game as China once (I use Random leaders)- Chu-No-Ko units are awesome, even more so when they get some promotions. I'd almost say don't upgrade them to riflemen when the time comes.

Tarquinn
posted 09-28-2010 02:22:28 AM
quote:
Vorago had this to say about Captain Planet:
Also you can make it not play the (mostly) unskippable opening intro in there too.

The intro movie is the loading screen.

Vorago
posted 09-28-2010 07:22:52 AM
quote:
Tarquinn spewed forth this undeniable truth:
The intro movie is the loading screen.

Yeah, uh, went from having to watch the full 3 min thing every time to, hmmm, 10 seconds to the menu?

Vorago
posted 09-28-2010 12:47:57 PM
Camel archers are fucking awesome used properly

I razed three Japanese cities with them by nver taking damage... move in, fire, move back. They wear an unwalled city down in about 5 attacks and the city cannot counterattack if the camels are on open ground. Repeat. When he fielded a massive army I just kept falling back while laying into them with arrows till I hit my own territory, at which point the roads let me move entire screens around while firing, any unit anywhere overexposed was just dead.

Japan bent over and handed me everything for peace twice thanks entirely to dem camels.

Vorago fucked around with this message on 09-28-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-28-2010 01:06:47 PM
Restarted the game on Marathon mode. It's the only way to play. The other modes just fly past WAY too fast to enjoy anything in the ancient and classical eras.

4 Legions + 2 Ballista = any city dead in 1 turn.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-28-2010 01:09:06 PM
I rather like Siam, but I'm not much of a military-focused Civ player
Khyron
posted 09-28-2010 02:15:02 PM
Well, I went to war with Siam after amassing a truly incredible army. He had knights, Longswordsmen, and pikemen. I had bombers, cavalry, Mech Infantry, guided missiles, stealth bombers, jet fighters, and helicopter gunships.

First turn I unloaded with the missiles. Those things are fucking awesome now. I did some truly incredible damage. Then the jet fighters and bombers opened up on the enemy; afterwards there was little for the ground forces to do. They mostly had to go after workers (Helicopter Gunships destroy, not capture, workers. Found this out the hard way!), since the choppers conquered the cities easily enough.

Three turns in and I had conquered six cities in the north (I razed two, gave away one because it had jack-all and now the Ottomans worship at my feet, and kept the others for the nearby resources) and three to the east (Two of which I razed and the third I gave to the Songhai).

Three more turns and Siam was a memory. Bombers and Jet Fighters are ungodly, and the helicopters are just so fucking versatile I can't get enough. The only threats left on the continent are Montezuma whom I crushed early on and has no real power left, Ottomans who Siam had down to 1 city left (I gave him a couple but he's effectively my bitch anytime I want), and Songhai who was in the same trouble with Siam until I helped out.

My current world had 3 large continents and 1 small. The small has nothing but city states so I'm not going to bother, Japan has their continent to themselves and they're my current research partner so I'm saving him for last, which leaves the Egypt/Greece/India continent as my next target. Once I build up my newly gained cities, it's time to go over and violate india for Sugar. That'll keep my cities 100% in 'we love the king day' since that'll give me every single luxury there is.

Mightion Defensor
posted 09-28-2010 02:15:52 PM
Augustus Caesar kept pissing me off last night, so I decided I was sick of looking at him. My Riflemen+Artillery equipped army erased him from the planet, though it took a while. I liberated three city states that he'd conquered (Who the hell is Almaty, anyway?), and razed every city of his except Rome. (Can't raze capitals)

Problem is, I have a larger army than I have a use for now, and it's causing me to run at a loss. I don't want to disband them because they're all highly promoted, and that bastard Gandhi is still there, and he already attacked me once.

Tarquinn
posted 10-02-2010 12:46:35 PM
quote:
Vorago's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Yeah, uh, went from having to watch the full 3 min thing every time to, hmmm, 10 seconds to the menu?

So, uh, I simply hit the escape key ten seconds into the video and, hmmm, I am at the menu.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-02-2010 07:43:34 PM
NPC Russia just crushed NPC America.

Uh oh.

Vorago
posted 10-02-2010 10:04:38 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Tarquinn:
So, uh, I simply hit the escape key ten seconds into the video and, hmmm, I am at the menu.

Very common bug, many, MANY people are/were unable to skip the intro video

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-02-2010 10:50:22 PM
The Germans conquered Warsaw and are now eyeing me.

How very creepily accurate.

Vorago
posted 10-02-2010 10:55:25 PM
Jesus christ in my current game Persia has become so massive it is mind boggling

I am the king of my continent but he, he has god damn 11 times the military I do, with a gold intake of +630 a turn, had a bankroll of 11,000gold at one point when I went into a trade window with him

He made the UN (I am at 2nd place with 5 wonders, he has 21) and after this first vote failed due to all the city states abstaining, he has begun one by one killing off all the city states to narrow the vote

I actually voted for him, he likes me, my hope is that he comes over to my continent to deal with my stubborn japan neighbor.

I think he had a MASSIVE chain of golden ages to account for his gold. I also think he overdid it. Before quitting this morning, he had 300 gold left with a per turn of NEGATIVE 380

Not sure what the exact effects of that are but I bet they aren't good. Civ 4 had units self destruct to balance it, not sure if that will still occur or what. I will also be happy for buildings falling apart. Bastard has +98 happiness with somewhere in the area of 25 cities :\

I'm making atomic bombs. Lots. I got Uranium out the ass.

My only prayer is that between his crashing economy and hopefully overextending into Japan I can turn half his continent into a parking lot and catch him by surprise.

Mightion Defensor
posted 10-03-2010 12:00:54 AM
I lost that game, playing as Napoleon. Elizabeth literally ruled the other continent, and when I saw she had advanced to the Future Era, I knew it was over. Tried for a cultural victory, but didn't even get close to it. At least she liked me.
Vorago
posted 10-03-2010 12:17:40 AM
Yeah, same boat here pretty much. Although I am pretty close in tech to Persia since I constructed a massive super science city that pulls in over 250 science per turn by itself. And it has no mountain tiles so that is without an observatory

Doubt I will beat him to a tech win though, unless I can do a doom drop on his capital and physically prevent him from finishing the ship

Tarquinn
posted 10-03-2010 04:30:13 AM
quote:
Vorago wrote this then went back to looking for porn:
Very common bug, many, MANY people are/were unable to skip the intro video

Okay then.

Nina
posted 10-03-2010 09:35:28 AM
quote:
This one time, at Vorago camp:
I think he had a MASSIVE chain of golden ages to account for his gold. I also think he overdid it. Before quitting this morning, he had 300 gold left with a per turn of NEGATIVE 380

At first science output gets throttled by a comparable amount to your gold loss. Then the units start going.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: