EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Pictures in the Cloud
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-06-2010 04:41:35 PM
So I'm starting to re-think a few things, technologically speaking, and figured you guys would be a good starting point to ask about the various cloud services out there...specifically for pictures.

I was considering helping Google in their evil quest to take over the world while pretending not to be evil by maybe using Picasa. But it's only 1GB free (not even sure if there's a paid option for more space). There does seem to be good integration across devices, though.

On the other hand, Adobe Online has 2GB free, and seemingly pretty good integration across devices.

Like everyone asking for advice on the internet, I haven't really thought it all the way through so can't tell you exactly what I'm looking for...but here are a few of the things:

The concept is I travel a lot and like to take pictures and show them to my friends. The ideal scenario is I've got my photos hanging out in the cloud somewhere, and I can work with them both from my PC at home and my iPad on the road. Take a photo, for example, edit it on the iPad, and save it to the cloud. Then I can post to FaceBook and still have the photo available from my PC without trying to transfer manually via iTunes.

Eventually, I'll want something similar with documents, but photos are what crops up more than anything right now.

Ideas?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Damnati
Filthy
posted 09-06-2010 05:38:25 PM
I favor MobileMe for this but I'm not sure it'd be the most cost effective for you; it's $99 a year for two devices (primary account gets 20 gigs of storage and the other gets 4 or 5 gigs; more space can be added for a fee).

It's only really justifiable in my household because four of us use iPhones and MobileMe includes awesome phone-finding features and remote sync with Outlook; being able to track the teenage sons when they're out and about is awfully handy...

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-07-2010 04:16:32 PM
MobileMe isn't my thing. Too expensive for what it is, and I don't really need the phone tracking thing. Every single review I've read of it said how much it sucks except for the "explode your phone" function.

Anyone else ditching privacy in favor of the cloud?

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-07-2010 04:27:39 PM
I still keep pictures on my computer and upload them via MSN for anyone who wants to see them.

Oh god I'm so oldschool it hurts. I should be using ICQ or something.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-07-2010 06:34:32 PM
I read only the thread title and assumed this was Bloodsage's conversion.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-11-2010 05:34:32 PM
And here I was thinking you guys were connected technogeeks, or something. Phooey. Now I have to research everything myself.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 09-12-2010 01:25:51 AM
Parenthood happened to me. One kid here, another on the way. No money for new toys unless they involve Dora or Spongebob. So tech wise, I'm about.. 4 years behind.

I still research the crap out of anything I buy.. pots and pans, kids clothes, tires, all kinds of shit I didn't think mattered before. A pot is a pot, a tire is a tire, and kids clothes get wrecked anyway. Now I look at everything from a bean counter point of view.. Is the model that is ten bucks more expensive gonna last ten bucks worth of longer? Will it be cheaper to spend 100 now, or 50 twice? Do I have the extra 50, or did I forget about the fucking water bill again. Being a grown up sucks.

This whole "cloud" thing frightens and confuses me. It is new.. doesn't appear to do anything I can't already do 9 different ways if I don't mind taking you know.. time. And it seems to be rather.. unsecured.

Now, I do try to share photos of the kiddo with family and friends.. and it would seem that some form of cloud shit might make it easier. But what if my mom goes and gets a different version of cloud shit? What if I have CloudShit1.4, and she gets CloudyPoops3.2? And My dad gets some other thing, PoofySkyTurd Turbo..

Hell, I gave up on talking to friends and loved ones just because they use MSN, and I used Yahoo Messenger. Now I only use FB's built in, cause fuck running separate shit. And half those fuckers, I don't wanna talk to anyway. And if I send them a link on FB, and they have to use what I use to view shit.. then they send me a link, and they use different shit, so I would have to go download some other shit, or sign up for shit, or register a non spam email.. and fuck all that. I have prints made, and mail people pics now. Cause a stamp works the same no matter what kind of paper the photo is printed on. If they are on my FB.. they can see shit sooner.

And all those accounts, and registrations.. How many of those places are having you sign away publishing rights to your family photos?

Look at Zynga. The company is based completely in the business of theft of intellectual property. It's in their fucking mission statement.. Steal other peoples shit, then settle out of court. That has been the basis of Zynga since the beginning. And they don't even try to hide it. They flat out lie, break the law, and then simply throw money at whoever complains.

Now imagine a more savvy criminal. Your photos can be used without permission in advertising, to sell shit, to support causes you don't agree, or never heard of. Say you have a niece that is hot, not like, incest hot, but she attracts a LOT of attention from guys her age, AND your age. Now, say you upload a pic of her at a family BBQ, to your cloud thingy.. and some tool uses her image, that you captured, without permission, in an ad that goes in the spam bar in your email. thousands of /b/tards see it, and decide they are in love. And you know where anon goes from there.

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, or just old.. but security is important to me. Taking the time to bluetooth a pic to my laptop may seem like a hassle sometimes.. but it's not too slow, it's free, I don't have to sign up for shit, and it accomplishes the same end result.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Damnati
Filthy
posted 09-12-2010 01:32:56 AM
You know, you could do it the old fashioned way: rent some webspace or set your home computer up with a web-accessible interface.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-12-2010 04:05:03 AM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Damnati absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
You know, you could do it the old fashioned way: rent some webspace or set your home computer up with a web-accessible interface.

I may end up doing it that way when I get back to civilization and have decent speeds again. It's a thought, though, as I am looking at internal streaming around the home, so I don't have to dedicate an iPod to my home stereo or whatever. I'd also like to simply rip all by DVDs/Blu-Rays and stream them when I want to watch a movie.

So good thought.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-12-2010 04:14:49 AM
quote:
Kaiote startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
Parenthood happened to me. One kid here, another on the way. No money for new toys unless they involve Dora or Spongebob. So tech wise, I'm about.. 4 years behind.

I still research the crap out of anything I buy.. pots and pans, kids clothes, tires, all kinds of shit I didn't think mattered before. A pot is a pot, a tire is a tire, and kids clothes get wrecked anyway. Now I look at everything from a bean counter point of view.. Is the model that is ten bucks more expensive gonna last ten bucks worth of longer? Will it be cheaper to spend 100 now, or 50 twice? Do I have the extra 50, or did I forget about the fucking water bill again. Being a grown up sucks.

This whole "cloud" thing frightens and confuses me. It is new.. doesn't appear to do anything I can't already do 9 different ways if I don't mind taking you know.. time. And it seems to be rather.. unsecured.

Now, I do try to share photos of the kiddo with family and friends.. and it would seem that some form of cloud shit might make it easier. But what if my mom goes and gets a different version of cloud shit? What if I have CloudShit1.4, and she gets CloudyPoops3.2? And My dad gets some other thing, PoofySkyTurd Turbo..

Hell, I gave up on talking to friends and loved ones just because they use MSN, and I used Yahoo Messenger. Now I only use FB's built in, cause fuck running separate shit. And half those fuckers, I don't wanna talk to anyway. And if I send them a link on FB, and they have to use what I use to view shit.. then they send me a link, and they use different shit, so I would have to go download some other shit, or sign up for shit, or register a non spam email.. and fuck all that. I have prints made, and mail people pics now. Cause a stamp works the same no matter what kind of paper the photo is printed on. If they are on my FB.. they can see shit sooner.

And all those accounts, and registrations.. How many of those places are having you sign away publishing rights to your family photos?

Look at Zynga. The company is based completely in the business of theft of intellectual property. It's in their fucking mission statement.. Steal other peoples shit, then settle out of court. That has been the basis of Zynga since the beginning. And they don't even try to hide it. They flat out lie, break the law, and then simply throw money at whoever complains.

Now imagine a more savvy criminal. Your photos can be used without permission in advertising, to sell shit, to support causes you don't agree, or never heard of. Say you have a niece that is hot, not like, incest hot, but she attracts a LOT of attention from guys her age, AND your age. Now, say you upload a pic of her at a family BBQ, to your cloud thingy.. and some tool uses her image, that you captured, without permission, in an ad that goes in the spam bar in your email. thousands of /b/tards see it, and decide they are in love. And you know where anon goes from there.

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, or just old.. but security is important to me. Taking the time to bluetooth a pic to my laptop may seem like a hassle sometimes.. but it's not too slow, it's free, I don't have to sign up for shit, and it accomplishes the same end result.

Yeah, security is a big concern. At the end of the day, though, it's always the same trade-off, whether it's photos or national security: convenient v. secure.

You're also spot-on on the time argument...but time right now and for the foreseeable future is my biggest limitation.

All good thought, though, so thanks.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: