EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: prop 8 struck down
Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-05-2010 02:01:16 AM
geeorn is marrying another man right now and we are powerless to stop him
Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-05-2010 02:45:41 AM
When I saw this thread, having heard the news hours ago, all I could think was "Prop 8 Takes It In The Butt" would be a great headline..."
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-05-2010 05:58:17 AM
Goddamn activist judges.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-05-2010 12:12:57 PM
I like that.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 08-05-2010 12:38:35 PM
Spiffy!
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 08-05-2010 03:39:43 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
geeorn is marrying another man right now and we are powerless to stop him

You're coming to San Diego next month right?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-06-2010 06:00:26 PM
Judge Walker is being labeled a Libertarian, but he is loved by Democrats. What is happening.

Also, topic on Facebook about it: "Will we be punished by God-sent earthquakes for living in California when this goes through?"

Man, come on.

Maradon!
posted 08-06-2010 06:17:35 PM
If you read the actual ruling, there's really no imaginable way that it's anything but strict adherence to law. Prop 8 was not written as an amendment to California's state constitution, and it needs to be in order to do the things that it was intended to do. It's as simple as that.

Libertarians are always viewed amicably by the political left, so long as they're only talking about abortion, gay marriage, or war. Start getting uppity about things like economic freedom, rampant government paternalism, or the failures of command economies, and instantly they're a bunch of psychotic tax abolishing zealots.

Kind of like how they turn into baby killing, godless, drug addicted terrorist lovers to the political right.

Idealism is no way to run a political party. Libertarians need to take a page from the Big Two and build their platform out of an arbitrary and internally contradictory set of ideas, arrived at by pandering to particular demographics.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 08-06-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Steven Steve
posted 08-06-2010 06:51:37 PM
I thought there was only one political party
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Maradon!
posted 08-06-2010 07:27:31 PM
Really there are only two, coercers and the coerced.
Steven Steve
posted 08-06-2010 11:23:08 PM
"There's only one law, and that's the law of nature" - King of Mississippi
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-07-2010 09:55:31 AM
quote:
And coming in at #1 is Steven Steve with "Reply." I'm Casey Casem.
"There's only one law, and that's the law of nature" - King of Mississippi

You are the the most tremendous fag ever for that, and I'm an even bigger one for knowing where that's from.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-07-2010 06:04:47 PM
Karnaj is the ultimate homophobe. He thinks anal sex is disgusting, unless done to a friend passed out as a prank.
Steven Steve
posted 08-07-2010 07:29:31 PM
Fucking FAGGOTS

Razor
posted 08-07-2010 08:36:07 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Prop 8 was not written as an amendment to California's state constitution, and it needs to be in order to do the things that it was intended to do. It's as simple as that.

Maradon, please make sure you are reading the law before you speak. It was written as an amendment.

The text of the proposition:
PROPOSITION 8
This initiative measure is submitted to the people in accordance with the
provisions of Article II, Section 8, of the California Constitution.
This initiative measure expressly amends the California Constitution by
adding a section thereto; therefore, new provisions proposed to be added are
printed in italic type to indicate that they are new.
SECTION 1. Title
This measure shall be known and may be cited as the “California Marriage
Protection Act.”
SECTION 2. Section 7.5 is added to Article I of the California Constitution,
to read:
SEC. 7.5. Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized
in California.

The CA 2008 Voter Guide

Text as found in the California Consitution:
CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 1 DECLARATION OF RIGHTS
SEC. 7.5. Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or
recognized in California.

Article 1 - Section 7.5

edit - forgot to italicize something

Razor fucked around with this message on 08-07-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Maradon!
posted 08-07-2010 09:07:44 PM
Yeah, you're right, I was looking at a ruling on a different gay marriage ban. Walker ruled that Prop 8 violated the federal constitution, but still with an inarguable basis in existing law.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-08-2010 10:50:14 PM
quote:
And coming in at #1 is Steven Steve with "Reply." I'm Casey Casem.
Fucking FAGGOTS

Thanks, Iron Sheik.

Beer.

Steven Steve
posted 08-09-2010 12:06:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bAyvYhtSYw

Greenlit
posted 08-09-2010 01:37:30 AM
Those guys are built like a bunch of gays.

wait

Greenlit fucked around with this message on 08-09-2010 at 01:37 AM.

Dr. Gee
posted 08-09-2010 03:00:58 PM
The findings of fact are just pure gold. They dismantled every bullshit argument my Yes on TRADITION MARRIAGE family/co-workers have spouted.

Well, except for the, "God hates fags," argument, but if my one acquaintance really believed in marriage according to the Bible she would kill her husband, children, and then herself for being in an interracial marriage. Oh Numbers 25, you little rascal.

Steven Steve
posted 08-09-2010 03:26:11 PM
God doesn't exist
Things which don't exist can't hate fags
Therefore, God doesn't hate fags

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-09-2010 06:07:00 PM
jesus was probably alright with gays tbh
Steven Steve
posted 08-09-2010 06:36:10 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan said this about your mom:
jesus was probably alright with gays tbh

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

- Jesus, Matthew 5:17

"'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.'"

- God, Leviticus 20:13

Jesus promoted killing gays

Steven Steve fucked around with this message on 08-09-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-10-2010 01:55:46 AM
quote:
Steven Steve Model 2000 was programmed to say:
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

- Jesus, Matthew 5:17

"'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.'"

- God, Leviticus 20:13

Jesus promoted killing gays

Complete context is necessary for this sort of judgment; it is the absence of a comprehensive approach that makes so many churches corrupt. What the Bible says is as above but also as follows:

quote:

1 But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2 Early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people were coming to Him; and He sat down and began to teach them. 3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman caught in adultery, and having set her in the center of the court, 4 they said to Him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in adultery, in the very act. 5 "Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women ; what then do You say ?" 6 They were saying this, testing Him, so that they might have grounds for accusing Him. But Jesus stooped down and with His finger wrote on the ground. 7 But when they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up, and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." 8 Again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. 9 When they heard it, they began to go out one by one, beginning with the older ones, and He was left alone, and the woman, where she was, in the center of the court. 10 Straightening up, Jesus said to her, "Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?" 11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more."]
-John 8

Relevant sections italicized.

My point is not so much a defense of religion as it is illustration of the point that the problem lies more with the people involved in the religion than with the religion itself. My wife has been hung up with civil rights activism centering around a woman named Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani and has been researching the parts of Koran used to justify a variety of atrocities; that has the same sort of contradictory principles and even worse abuse of them by the people who follow it.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 08-10-2010 01:48:38 PM
It doesn't fucking matter what religion says because we don't fucking live in a fucking theocracy.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-10-2010 02:04:48 PM
Not... yet.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Dr. Gee
posted 08-11-2010 03:30:11 PM
quote:
Blindy had this to say about Punky Brewster:
It doesn't fucking matter what religion says because we don't fucking live in a fucking theocracy.

But all of the pro-8 people I've ever talked with think we should!

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-11-2010 09:27:28 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Blindy wrote:

Look at you. You don't want a theocracy, you don't want another inquisition, you don't want forceful conversion. There's a word for people like you.

But it isn't "team player."

Jeez!

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: