EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The Last Airbender
Steven Steve
posted 07-01-2010 01:51:23 PM
lol
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 07-01-2010 08:20:14 PM
Friend of mine said the 3D addition just killed it. Made it blurry in camera pants during big fights. And he said the story was disjointed, since they were trying to fit like 11 hours of story into 2.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-02-2010 06:42:59 AM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Lyinar Ka`Bael squealed:
Made it blurry in camera pants

So are those like parachute pants?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 07-02-2010 02:17:26 PM
the show was actually pretty good, but i don't see how it could possibly work in a 2 hour movie. The first season alone couldn't be boiled down to less than 4 hours without ruining it.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 07-02-2010 02:42:13 PM
From what I understand this is supposed to be the first part of the trilogy. I'm not hearing good things from anyone, really. hah

At least the trailer was cool.

Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 07-02-2010 04:04:54 PM
Having never seen the show aside from like two episodes, one where they put on a play summarizing the show and the other where the comet came, I liked it plenty.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 07-03-2010 03:54:40 PM
Rotten tomatoes takes the averages of most major review sites for a given movie - good review vs bad.

Anything under 20% on rotten tomatoes is considered abysmal.

The Last Airbender is notable in that it managed to get an 8. In fairness, this is the same rank as Uwe Bowl's most successful movie, Postal.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 07-03-2010 11:58:14 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael attempted to be funny by writing:
Friend of mine said the 3D addition just killed it. Made it blurry in camera pants during big fights. And he said the story was disjointed, since they were trying to fit like 11 hours of story into 2.

I refuse to go to anything that has a 3D option. I was halfway excited about Airbender, then heard it was in 3D and took it off my list. If I want 3D gimmicks I'll go to Universal Studios thank you very much. At least then I can get sprayed with Fozzy's flower thing.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-04-2010 02:26:11 AM
I also enjoy meaningless boycotts

you'd probably send more of a message by going to the 2D showing than not going at all

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 07-04-2010 03:36:29 AM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Robocop:
I refuse to go to anything that has a 3D option. I was halfway excited about Airbender, then heard it was in 3D and took it off my list. If I want 3D gimmicks I'll go to Universal Studios thank you very much. At least then I can get sprayed with Fozzy's flower thing.

So just see the 2D option. Nothing says you have to go to the 3D option.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Greenlit
posted 07-04-2010 04:40:14 AM
quote:
Naimah spewed forth this undeniable truth:

tbh we don't want you in our theatre anyway

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 07-04-2010 10:05:58 AM
quote:
Naimah stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

Avatar spent a crapton of money dealing with new technology and came out with amazing results. Old 3d tech feels like one of those old children books where the pictures pop up. Avatar made it look smooth and natural - an entirely different experience.

If movies are going to tout 3d, they should use new technology. Alice in Wonderland was a good example of this - the 3d looked like a bunch of cardboard cutouts. When done poorly it really detracts from the movie.

It's feels the same as a movie using modern CGI and doing well followed by a bunch of others using mspaint on a 386 to follow the CGI craze idea while entirely missing the point.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 07-04-2010 at 10:08 AM.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 07-04-2010 10:10:32 AM
The problem are movies like The Last Airbender, Clash of the Titans and the upcoming part 1 of Deathly Hallows. None were filmed in 3d, unlike Avatar, instead the studios showhorned in a 3d effect afterwards for MOAR MONEYZ. So it looks like ass and does nothing.

But Avavtar made infinite dollars so now every studio on earth figured 3d = insta super profits. So god help us.

Greenlit
posted 07-04-2010 01:58:47 PM
quote:
Vorago thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
The problem are movies like The Last Airbender, Clash of the Titans and the upcoming part 1 of Deathly Hallows. None were filmed in 3d, unlike Avatar, instead the studios showhorned in a 3d effect afterwards for MOAR MONEYZ. So it looks like ass and does nothing.

But Avavtar made infinite dollars so now every studio on earth figured 3d = insta super profits. So god help us.

The resurgence of 3D films is also an effort to bring some sort of advantage back to seeing a movie in theatres as opposed to waiting for a DVD/BR release. Until the major roll-out of Sony 4K projectors (your primary 3D projector), most home HDTV units offered a better quality viewing experience than a standard 35mm print.

Some companies are trying to make sound quality be The Next Big Thing, but that's a damned mistake and I hate Regal for it. Ninety percent of your audience can barely tell the difference between mono and stereo sound anyway.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-04-2010 05:51:54 PM
Well against the sane part of my brain screaming not to go, I went and saw the Last Airbender today anyway. What a load of steaming cow crap. The dialogue was horribly written and the actors uttered each line as if they were made of wood. Shamalamalama tried to shoehorn in too much into a movie that clocked in under 2 hours, stuffing as many bits and pieces from the first season of the animated show as he could into it and using Katara to narrate alot that was left out.

And a pet peeve of mine that just made me cringe everytime someone spoke was the odd way they said names and such. Aang wasn't An-ing. It was Aaaahung. Avatar was Av-AHHHHHHHHHHHH-tar. So on and so forth.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-05-2010 12:26:07 PM
quote:
Vorago's fortune cookie read:

When I saw Alice in 3d it did something for me. Gave me a fucking headache and ruined a possibly passable movie. Can't watch it without the glasses, can't wear the glasses with my glasses and given that I have counter set astigmatism, wearing the 3d glasses without my glasses basically makes it look like a pop-out version of the movie when I wasn't wearing the glasses at all.

Never did see Avatar in theaters. It got way too much hype and then everyone was telling me about it. Figure I've seen at least half of it for free in word-of-mouth.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Steven Steve
posted 07-05-2010 02:14:51 PM
The same bitches that thought the casting was actually acceptable are probably the ones who gave it positive reviews
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 07-07-2010 02:26:36 AM
I really wish this had been a two parter so they actually had time to develop stuff right. There was way too much exposition from Katara, General Zhao and I think Ozai.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Steven Steve
posted 07-07-2010 12:02:14 PM

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-07-2010 04:51:55 PM
I like how he never directs something that he hasn't written... not. Just goes to show he sucks at writing. And did anyone else feel like the Village (and all the 'secrecy' surrounding it) was one big troll on the audience?
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Mr. Parcelan
posted 07-07-2010 06:52:32 PM
Don't you see? M. Night Shyamalan's career is one big troll. His whole project has been to make it reflect the fall of Lucifer from Paradise Lost.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: