EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Hay
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 06-22-2010 07:41:36 PM
So I finally tried out Halo last night. It was pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Deth bought me my own copy of Borderlands so we can co-op, too. He's excited to finally get me into FPS's.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-22-2010 10:07:46 PM
wot
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-22-2010 11:36:05 PM
in before haters

the Halo games are well crafted, enjoyable single player games. The franchise didn't really move anything forward for the genre(aside from becoming the gold standard for console shooter controls) but the Halo games are definitely well put together

ODST is actually a really neat change of pace for the franchise if you're into that, but definitely play it after 3

Skaw
posted 06-23-2010 03:16:54 AM
The first game is the blandest, the second has the worst level design, the third is fairly good. The problem I have with ODST is the build up of not being a super soldier, just a hardcore one, but still leaving the super soldier mechanics in the game. WHOOPS! Still fun with some buds and doing Firefight though.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-23-2010 03:56:37 AM
I enjoyed Halo 1 because I played it in like 2003 or something and it was all nostalgic FPS level designs and stuff.

Halo 2 was utter shit.

Put me off trying 3 at all.

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 06-23-2010 04:12:41 AM
quote:
How.... Skaw.... uughhhhhh:
The first game is the blandest, the second has the worst level design, the third is fairly good. The problem I have with ODST is the build up of not being a super soldier, just a hardcore one, but still leaving the super soldier mechanics in the game. WHOOPS! Still fun with some buds and doing Firefight though.

I dunno, I always felt that the original games were really bad about making the Chief live up to his Spartan reputation. Other characters act like he can do things no one else can possibly do; by 3, the UNSC is planning its entire strategy around his movements. But when you actually play, the mechanics make the Chief seem like just another guy with a gun. Well, a gun and a recharging energy shield.

So to me ODST feels like the mechanics and the story square with each other very well.

It seems like Bungie tried to fix the problem as the series went on; in 2 you got dual wielding and vehicle boarding, both classic action stunts, and in 3 you could yank turrets off their bases for moar dakka. But it never quite gelled for me and I've always felt Bungie had a different sort of game than an FPS in mind.

Still looking forward to Reach, though

KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Steven Steve
posted 06-23-2010 08:31:30 AM
Master Chief was never a super soldier, he's supposed to run like 60 km/h but actually runs like 15 tops, he's supposed to be super strong but even average soldiers can flip the same shit he does, he's supposed to have super reflexes and onboard aiming assistance but his accuracy is no better (indeed, probably worse) than the average cunts, and he's supposed to be super lucky but again, even average morons can accomplish things just as impressive, such as being able to jump off of a banshee in ODST, land on a scarab, punch all the operators to death, punch the generator until the thing blows up, and then jump off, all as an ordinary human. Are the Covenant supposed to be threatening? Because it seems you can beat them all as a slow-moving refrigerator with nerf guns - even winning major battles alone is no big feat for the average soldier it seems. EVEN CAPTAIN KEYES' 12 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER CAN DUAL WIELD WITH A SHOTGUN. In the books they made it seem like the SPARTANs were some kinds of messiahs and totally unbeatable, but in reality they're just the same as everyone else so there was no point sinking billions of dollars into each of them. Even in Reach they aren't even more impressive than a brute, they just don't move like robots. Speaking of Reach, they didn't have fucking bubble shields, and there were no brutes, and they didn't have space motorcycles, and there was none of this jetpack stuff. Will you encounter any of the SPARTANs from the books? Of course not. Why did they hire a professional writer to create a background for them? Why did the UNSC invest all that money into soldiers (sailors really) that can hardly do anything better than average moron? Will Bungie ever make a game that doesn't have boring levels? Find out on the next episode.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Greenlit
posted 06-23-2010 02:12:42 PM
I miss playing shooters where I could hold more than two weapons at a time. Thank you Halo.

ps ODST was the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen put out by a major developer

except for Spore

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 06-23-2010 07:20:21 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Duck Tales:
in before haters

the Halo games are well crafted, enjoyable single player games. The franchise didn't really move anything forward for the genre(aside from becoming the gold standard for console shooter controls) but the Halo games are definitely well put together

ODST is actually a really neat change of pace for the franchise if you're into that, but definitely play it after 3

Yeah, all I really wanted to do was play those games that everyone's played. I can't really call myself a gamer if I can't branch out a bit.

I never thought FPS was really my thing, but I really enjoyed running and gunning and tooling around on the Warthog. I guess I didn't think that it would be as enjoyable as it has been, so I never really gave the genre a real chance before.

I'm really glad I did. I'm not going to stop playing my RPGS, but now I can look forward to the popular FPS's, too.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-23-2010 09:32:58 PM
I've grown mighty fond of third-person shooters lately (3PS?) and I'm trying to finish Gears of War before I get one of the new 360s.

Theron Guards keep messin' in my neighborhood.

Steven Steve
posted 06-23-2010 10:10:11 PM
"You'd think we'd have come up with some kind of GOD DAMN DEFENSE by now"

"Bulllllllshit"

"Ah, COME ON"

"That's five motherfuckerrrrs"

I like how when guys are lying face down bleeding to death all they need is for one of their middle school football teammates to come up and tell them to "walk it off pussy" and then they're better

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Greenlit
posted 06-24-2010 08:53:11 AM
Army of Two had the better recovery system: shoving tampons into bullet wounds.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 06-24-2010 01:18:07 PM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Tron:
Army of Two had the better recovery system: shoving tampons into bullet wounds.

.... god damnit, now I might have to get the game and play it. That concept is just too fucked up to not at least get a rental out of.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Steven Steve
posted 06-24-2010 01:51:30 PM
They don't actually use tampons in the game, that was taken out in the beta of the first game, haha

Greenlit
posted 06-24-2010 03:04:10 PM
Worst design choice since universal ammo in Deus Ex 2.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-24-2010 03:13:43 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Duck Tales:
I've grown mighty fond of third-person shooters lately (3PS?) and I'm trying to finish Gears of War before I get one of the new 360s.

I have such a hard time getting into console shooters

I might try again with some of the PS3 ones though. Unless I get a promotion at work fairly fast, then I may buy a 360 for my room also.

Steven Steve
posted 06-24-2010 03:34:46 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Greenlit:
Worst design choice since universal ammo in Deus Ex 2.

And playing as Ricky Martin and having teenage friends from the 80s and getting rid of skills and having a non-scalar HUD and no widescreen support

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 06-24-2010 10:41:58 PM
Holy shit, Borderlands rocks.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the left/right targeting, but I think that will come with practice. I'm a Soldier with Deth's Hunter as the angel on my shoulder.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-24-2010 11:14:55 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Falaanla Marr said this:
I have such a hard time getting into console shooters

I might try again with some of the PS3 ones though. Unless I get a promotion at work fairly fast, then I may buy a 360 for my room also.

In my opinion, the best way to get into shooters is to start with Uncharted. It is, without a doubt, the most fluid and easy to control "shooter" in existence, with lots of parkour and running around to break up the monotony.

Greenlit
posted 06-25-2010 02:16:13 AM
I must be the only shooter fan in the world who hated Uncharted. It controlled so fucking clumsily and had such an odd difficulty curve that I hung it up about 45% (according to my save) of the way in.

#2 is sitting here on top of my PS3, but RDR and FF13 are monopolizing my non-League of Legends time.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 06-25-2010 03:41:22 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan wrote this stupid crap:

I've been feeling the love for third person shooters as well. They just seem to pull off a lot of cinematic fights more effectively. They also seem to work a lot better on the consoles than FPS games.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-25-2010 04:30:56 AM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Cuba:
I must be the only shooter fan in the world who hated Uncharted. It controlled so fucking clumsily and had such an odd difficulty curve that I hung it up about 45% (according to my save) of the way in.

#2 is sitting here on top of my PS3, but RDR and FF13 are monopolizing my non-League of Legends time.

How is that even possible. It's basically Prince of Persia with a gun.

Maradon!
posted 06-25-2010 06:40:17 PM
quote:
Greenliting:
I miss playing shooters where I could hold more than two weapons at a time. Thank you Halo.

I always end up saving ammo for the best weapons until I "need" it, passing up piles of the rare stuff because I was full, then beating the game without ever really using them.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 06-27-2010 08:40:22 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Greenlit stammered:

Woo yeah league of legends for the win

Over 300 games and still loving the unholy crap out of it

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-27-2010 04:09:03 PM
quote:
This one time, at Greenlit camp:
I must be the only shooter fan in the world who hated Uncharted. It controlled so fucking clumsily and had such an odd difficulty curve that I hung it up about 45% (according to my save) of the way

The first game was only pretty good where the second one was basically a masterclass in making games

Dave
)_(
posted 06-30-2010 01:07:43 AM
I only played past Halo one for the story.
Eric Nylund did a great job with the 3 books he wrote for Halo.
http://ericnylund.net/?page_id=173
Nina
posted 06-30-2010 02:48:23 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Dave said:
I only played past Halo one for the story.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: