EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Web Site Designers
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 04-15-2010 10:58:05 AM
I'll keep this short since I'm running late to some college classes; but it broils down to this: I run a child care center. The Website sucks from having walls of text. (No, I didn't make it)

We're with register.com. Anyone know some website designers that could make a better website? (I like Kindercare's due to its simplicity, lots of pictures, flash, and all the important info right up front.)

How much do designers normally charge for a small-business 4-5 page site? I'm setting up a google adwords account to draw attention to it; any other suggestions?

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-15-2010 11:42:49 AM
If you are running flat html with no dynamic content and you don't care about editing content manually, you may be better off going with a template (template monster, etc).

The cost of designers vary. A good professional custom site for a small business can run four or five digits. It depends entirely on what you want to do.

The cost of a website can vary as much as the cost of a building.

edit:
What you need to think of when calculating cost:
- What is the intent of the site?
- What features does the site need to fulfill this intent? What feature are "must" and what features are "nice if the price is reasonable"/can be added later?

As you would expect, using a pre-canned product, design, or artwork is generally less expensive than getting something custom. Every approach has pros and cons.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 04-15-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-15-2010 12:21:32 PM
I built my wife's site and her opera company's site in Wordpress; makes for a pretty site with minimal effort. You can do this yourself or, if it's really over your head, I can build it for...I dunno, $200?
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

nem-x
posted 04-15-2010 12:45:41 PM
Dont use stock photos like that kindercare place
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 04-15-2010 05:04:57 PM
I'm still trying to cope with the idea that RK runs a child care center.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 04-15-2010 05:50:47 PM
A friend of mine at work uses wix.com for his small business website. Its template based, but from what I see can be made to look pretty professional. Havent messed with it too much myself, though.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Taeldian
Pancake
posted 04-17-2010 12:01:56 PM
Most web design companies are godawful. Every jackass who's ever learned HTML thinks he's a web designer/developer, so it makes it tough to find a decent one. If you go cheap, you'll get what you pay for. If you go expensive, you'll probably still have a terrible site because they'll overdo it with a bunch of Flash that makes the site useless.

If I were building a brand new site right now, I'd find a buddy with some aesthetic talent and have him build a mockup for me, then get a coder who can put it together. Hiring a company to do everything usually ends in tragedy. This is especially true if you're going to be dumping money into Adwords.

Do some basic research on SEO and usability. Even if you hire somebody to handle everything for you, you'll almost always be better off knowing some of the basics of these so you can point out flaws in what they give you and make sure they get corrected. These things matter much, much more than having a pretty site.

This stuff is extremely important in making sure your site is successful, and the vast majority of sites completely ignore it. You'll want a leg up.

useit.com is a great resource for usability. Go through and read stuff that seems relevant in the Alertbox. For SEO, I can't really remember the best place to get started and there's a lot of misinformation out there. If you care about it, I can give you a quick crash-course if you'd like.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 04-17-2010 12:04:28 PM
Wordpress is also a very easy solution.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 04-26-2010 11:36:19 AM
Thanks for the input, I've been kinda bogged down in other things lately but I plan on using all the advice.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: