EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Dual boot with one os?
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-07-2010 09:04:38 AM
Is it possible to dual boot windows 7 with itself?

The reason I'm asking is that I want a "fun" OS and a productivity OS. For example, if I install Spore on my "fun" OS and the system installs a rootkit or some nasty DRMs, I don't want them infecting my productivity system.

I don't have a problem with not being able to access "fun" programs form the productivity OS or vice versa, though I would like a share drive with files that they can both access.

edit: I'd rather be given an option to choose my OS on startup than have to plug and unplug hard-drives to do this. Virtual machines are not acceptable options.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 04-07-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 04-07-2010 09:14:17 AM
Yes?
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-07-2010 09:28:27 AM
quote:
This one time, at Blindy camp:
Yes?

Do you know how, or are are you just being a wiseass?

Blindy
posted 04-07-2010 09:35:20 AM
Put in your windows 7 disk, boot up with it, tell it you want to install it side by side with the existing windows.

You will want to set up the partitions in the first installation process.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-07-2010 09:43:13 AM
quote:
Blindy said this about your mom:
Put in your windows 7 disk, boot up with it, tell it you want to install it side by side with the existing windows.

You will want to set up the partitions in the first installation process.

Thanks. Sounds easy. I'll do that once my new machine and windows 7 disk come in.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-07-2010 01:26:10 PM
The big question is whether or not the Windows 7 license will let you do that. It'll be two separate installation IDs and I doubt Microsoft will activate both
Blindy
posted 04-07-2010 02:06:15 PM
quote:
Kegwen stopped lurking long enough to say:
The big question is whether or not the Windows 7 license will let you do that. It'll be two separate installation IDs and I doubt Microsoft will activate both

Microsoft will give appropriately 1.000001 shits. Definitely not two.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-07-2010 02:28:37 PM
I'm pretty sure the automated system will notice the two installation IDs even if the hardware is identical and deactivate one of them assuming a regular home user license

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 04-07-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Blindy
posted 04-07-2010 02:44:13 PM
quote:
I never knew Kegwen spoke idiot:
I'm pretty sure the automated system will notice the two installation IDs even if the hardware is identical and deactivate one of them assuming a regular home user license

Yep, nope.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 04-07-2010 05:21:23 PM
The only worry I'd have about it is, if the rootkit were "smart enough" to see the secondary install and go ahead and infect it. While not running it's trivial to inject and infect and it's just another NTFS partition on the system...
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Nina
posted 04-07-2010 06:27:49 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator had this to say about Captain Planet:
The only worry I'd have about it is, if the rootkit were "smart enough" to see the secondary install and go ahead and infect it. While not running it's trivial to inject and infect and it's just another NTFS partition on the system...

From my understanding, he doesn't plan on having both system partitions mounted at once.

I still think it's an utter waste of time and getting infected in this day and age is a sign of incompetence.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-07-2010 06:30:37 PM
Get knoppix. Grab everything you need off the original installation and put it on removable media, or just a different partition. Format original infected partition. Reinstall OS.

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Greenlit
posted 04-07-2010 08:13:11 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Naimah:
Get knoppix. Grab everything you need off the original installation and put it on removable media, or just a different partition. Format original infected partition. Reinstall OS.

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Did you even read his post

Why are you Linux faggots all so insufferable

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-07-2010 09:14:13 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Random Insanity Generator!

This was the post I was responding to. And I don't use linux. In fact I hate linux. Mostly because it references all network adapters by name, so if your network adapter changes mac address it breaks your networking. Knoppix is just a convenient boot disc.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-07-2010 09:41:05 PM
The legit solution to games with rootkits is to either

a) not play them (Spore was p bad anyway)
c) pirate it but also buy a license. you avoid the rootkit and the guilt this way

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 04-07-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 04-08-2010 12:43:58 AM
quote:
How.... Naimah.... uughhhhhh:
This was the post I was responding to. And I don't use linux. In fact I hate linux. Mostly because it references all network adapters by name, so if your network adapter changes mac address it breaks your networking.

Wow... some epic fail there.

MAC Address, by default, is hardware. The only way to change it is to have a driver and chipset that let you manually specify a MAC (which is 90-something percent these days) or to change the hardware. If you're changing hardware aren't you expecting to be making some config changes too?

Oh, and for the record, it's actually by device initialization order for most (95+%) setups. Most people only have a single Ethernet device, maybe a Wireless device as well, however ethernet devices (eth) are separate from wireless devices (wlan). If you have more than one it's kinda assumed that you're up to speed on how things are done with the networking structure under linux.

Nina: Didn't say anything about having them mounted. If the rootkit were to scan the system and see another NTFS partition it wouldn't be "unreasonable" to expect it to look at it for additional infectable files. If it found the other copy of Windows out there I wouldn't be shocked to see it embed itself in it. Kinda shocked that they're not building RK's to inject themselves into System Restore partitions on mass-built systems. Great way to "keep" a box once you've infested it...

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Blindy
posted 04-08-2010 08:46:13 AM
Virus programmers are lazy.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: