EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Aliens vs Predator
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-26-2010 06:33:50 AM
Yeah, the new one. Technically AvP3 from a gaming viewpoint. Anyone else got it.

I'm finding it enjoyable but I'm a bit annoyed the alien missions start with a full grown alien, as one of the best alien missions in AvP2 was being a facehugger and trying to find a host.

I've only played a few missions but overall it seems to be AvP2 with less backstory/lore and better graphics. I really enjoyed the interlinking stories and excellent writing in AvP2 so I'll withhold judgement on AvP(3) until I'm deeper into the game. The aliens also seem to be less scary somehow.. I don't know.. some of the atmosphere feels lost somehow.. I can't really explain it.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-26-2010 08:42:41 AM
I would consider buying it if I could use it to give people motion sickness like I could with the original....

Running down a hallway spiraling across the surfaces... Never bothered me, but made friends of mine really sick.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-26-2010 09:07:28 AM
Not sure if you could. One of the other pet peeves I have is how they've normalised the Aliens view. No more switching for dark places or hunting mode, it's simply a "focus" mode toggle that highlights items of interest. It's the same key for Alien, Predator and Marine which does basically the same thing.

Overall it's better I think. I'm looking at AvP2 through the rose-tinted lenses of nostalgia. It would look awful next to modern games today.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 02-26-2010 09:13:59 AM
It was only 'okay' in my book. Something just felt mediocre about. I'm only going at this from a single player perspective since I rented it for the PS3, but nothing felt special about playing a Predator or Alien over a Marine. While they each have a few different abilities, its all become a game of stealth-kills/grab moves via a push of a single button when close.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-26-2010 03:48:26 PM
Gotta agree with you Kat. Very mediocre compared to the excellent AvP2.

It's a very pretty game with some very nice graphics, but it feels utterly devoid of soul.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 02-26-2010 03:57:25 PM
Another problem was the reuse of the same maps for most of the game. No matter what race you play the game through, all the maps (6-ish maps total) are the exact same as the others, just with some remote areas you can get to as an Alien or Predator that you couldn't get as a Marine. Gets repetitive going through the same thing over and over again with the only variation being the time when you go through and the order.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Steven Steve
posted 02-26-2010 08:53:31 PM
It may be better than AvP 2, but is it better than AvP OOOONE (for PC)?
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: