EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Star Trek Online
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-04-2010 06:18:00 AM
Welp.

Anyone got this? Apparently they broke the 1 million subscribers mark within 24 hours of release.

I'm Voz@kavol if you want to hit me up, friend me, whatever. Science guy, gotta love the innate subsystem targetting. If you want to get in a small fleet (that's not Goon or EC related) so you have some guildchat to look at while missioning, give me a poke or just leave your STO handle here.

It's pretty fun but they really need to rework the skill system. Some skills are just utterly pointless, like all the ship specific skills until Tier 5.

Timpofee
Mancake
posted 02-04-2010 10:49:29 AM
I have to admit.. i am really enjoying the random killing spree you can go on in this game
Flagg@Timpo is mine.. hit me up
I just joined a pretty fun fleet in fact
good times
nem-x
posted 02-04-2010 10:59:23 AM
The first two tiers of ship skills apply to all of them in that line.

My new ride.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 02-04-2010 11:34:50 AM
I'm Zephyer@Zephyer.

I can't wait to get to Lt Commander so I can get out of this bloody Miranda...

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 02-04-2010 12:12:33 PM
Kryten@Kaglaaz here. Will gladly join you Mort. Injured my left arm so won't be very chatty as it's hard to type with my arm in a sling.
http://www.bloodfin.net
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-04-2010 12:36:38 PM
Jesus Nem, have you been playing 24/7?
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 02-04-2010 02:11:11 PM
Is this game at all worth picking up if you're not a star trek fanboy, much less never watched more than one or two episodes?

Basically, is the game itself fun, or is it mostly Star Trek fan service?

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 02-04-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Mightion Defensor
posted 02-04-2010 02:13:05 PM
I actually managed to get this game to run on my ancient P4 2.8 with 6800GT... everything's turned down, and it can drop to 8 fps at times in nebulae, but it's actually playable. My computer kept saying the launcher was corrupted, but it ran when copied to my hard drive.

I have a new computer's parts on the way from newegg, so it will look much better in a few days.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-04-2010 07:37:58 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Falaanla Marr:
Is this game at all worth picking up if you're not a star trek fanboy, much less never watched more than one or two episodes?

Basically, is the game itself fun, or is it mostly Star Trek fan service?

It's a Cryptic game.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 02-04-2010 07:49:04 PM
quote:
Naimah got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
It's a Cryptic game.

So is it good like CoH was or pure shit like champions was?

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-04-2010 09:07:28 PM
Got my tier 2 ship and I'm having fun flying around the galaxy phasering Klingons in the face. The fleet actions are just balls-out fun. Haven't tried any PvP yet, but I might just for slaps and giggles.

Being a Trek fanboi definitely helps your enjoyment of the game, but I don't think it's a hard and fast requirement to play.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Mightion Defensor
posted 02-04-2010 11:56:36 PM
quote:
It has been ordained by Primus, that there will be a Chosen One who will use the Matrix to "light our darkest hour." That darkest hour may come sooner if Falaanla Marr keeps posting things like this:
So is it good like CoH was or pure shit like champions was?

It's good. (Never played Champions) You will however, notice a lot of CoH "heritage" in it - particularly the NPC poses, and the font. My god, it's the same font they use for CoH. I wish it could be changed.

Same chat system, too.

I want to hurry up and get LT. Commander so I can get out of this darned Miranda-class.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-05-2010 12:52:21 AM
I liked the Miranda class, though it is a little bleh in terms of handling and power.

I'm absolutely loving my pure science Nova class now though. Shield Subsystem Targetting is godly and enhanced tractor beam is hella fun when holding zippy enemies like raptors.

Xian
Pancake
posted 02-05-2010 03:21:36 AM

Vinven@dijalin

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-17-2010 10:44:23 PM
Ok, just tried my first PvP in game...and man did I enjoy that! And this coming from someone who has pretty much been exclusively a PvE kinda guy in all the many MMOs I've played.

Admittedly, my experience might have been less positive if I'd been playing on the Klingon side, but hey, whatcha gonna do? I still managed to end up with more kills than deaths, dealt out a megaton of damage and raked in some nice rewards. I think I definately will be doing that again soon.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 02-17-2010 11:42:38 PM
I like the fact that I can hop out of an "episode" anytime I want and log out of the game. Makes it a bit more family friendly. I can get stuff done in the game and still not gain wifey aggro.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-18-2010 01:41:42 AM
I'm still a Lt Cmdr. I really should play more.
Mightion Defensor
posted 02-18-2010 03:10:48 PM
Oh dear lord... Tier 4 cruisers (Captain), which includes the Galaxy-class, CANNOT TURN. I ended up putting my best quantum torpedo launcher in the back simply because once the initial "rush" is over, it's near impossible to get the front torpedoes pointed at a single enemy.

Can't wait for Admiral so I can get a Sovereign, which has a base turn rate of seven, instead of five. Fun fact:

Tier 3 Cruiser turn rate: Seven.
Tier 4 Cruiser turn rate: Five.
Tier 5 Cruiser turn rate: Six.

Even with all my gripes, it's still great to approach DS9 and have the DS9 music start playing.

Mightion Defensor fucked around with this message on 02-18-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-18-2010 07:53:33 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Mortious said:
I'm still a Lt Cmdr. I really should play more.

No kidding. All the cool kids are least Commander. You need to step it up a level.

Callalron
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 02-18-2010 10:22:05 PM
Don't listen to them Mort, I'm still LtComm.

But I haven't played much because I had surgery to repair a torn bicep tendon at the left elbow last week. Couldn't play that well so just gave it a week break.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-19-2010 01:02:49 AM
Well, I rolled me a Klingon toon just to see how the other half lives.

Ghetto life, basically. I understand Cryptic was under a lot of pressure to get the game on the street, but maaaaaaaaaan. After playing up to Commander 4 on the Federaton side, the Klingon side of the game is basically a)fly around space and b)blow shit up. Fuck any backstory, history or any of that other pansy shit. Strap a ship to your ass and go kill stuff. You want to explore? Explore new ways to eviscerate Federation dogs with your bat'leth, you targ. Crafting? What are you, some fruity Romulan? Basically, it's like BF2 in an MMO.

Hopefully there's more Klingon content coming. And soon.

Callalron
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 02-19-2010 11:29:11 AM
I am very, very curious and want to try this out. Unfortunately time and money are both stretched to the breaking point, so I doubt I'll be able to
Mightion Defensor
posted 02-19-2010 02:20:56 PM
quote:
It has been ordained by Primus, that there will be a Chosen One who will use the Matrix to "light our darkest hour." That darkest hour may come sooner if Khyron keeps posting things like this:
I am very, very curious and want to try this out. Unfortunately time and money are both stretched to the breaking point, so I doubt I'll be able to

I have two ten-day guest passes that came with my CE if you wanna try it.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 02-19-2010 04:58:17 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Oh dear lord... Tier 4 cruisers (Captain), which includes the Galaxy-class, CANNOT TURN. I ended up putting my best quantum torpedo launcher in the back simply because once the initial "rush" is over, it's near impossible to get the front torpedoes pointed at a single enemy.

Can't wait for Admiral so I can get a Sovereign, which has a base turn rate of seven, instead of five. Fun fact:

Tier 3 Cruiser turn rate: Seven.
Tier 4 Cruiser turn rate: Five.
Tier 5 Cruiser turn rate: Six.

Even with all my gripes, it's still great to approach DS9 and have the DS9 music start playing.

First thing that came to mind....

quote:

Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Well, you know, that's interesting, because I was just thinking that a lot of these systems haven't changed much in the last... seventy-five years. This transporter is basically the same system we use on the Enterprise. Subspace radio and sensors still operate under the same basic principle, impulse engine design hasn't changed much in the last 200 years. If it wasn't for all the structural damage, this ship might still be in service today.

Scotty: Maybe so. But when they can build ships like your Enterprise, who'd want to pilot an old bucket like this?

Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: I don't know. If this ship were operational, I bet she'd run circles around the Enterprise at impulse speeds. Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 02-19-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 02-21-2010 09:04:37 AM
Will this run on a low end machine (p4 3.2ghz, 1gb ram, RADEON X850 XT Plat)?

Is it worth trying out if I can only invest one or two hours a week?

edit: I was also thinking about giving EvE a second shot too.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 02-21-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Mightion Defensor
posted 02-21-2010 12:42:56 PM
quote:
And the Replyobots combined to form Ghost of Forums Past, who roared:
Will this run on a low end machine (p4 3.2ghz, 1gb ram, RADEON X850 XT Plat)?

Is it worth trying out if I can only invest one or two hours a week?

edit: I was also thinking about giving EvE a second shot too.

It ran, at the very lowest settings, (but at 1280x1024) on my P4 2.8e, 2 GB of PC3200, and 256 mb 6800GT. Sometimes the framerate would get into the single digits, but it stayed playable. (I've no idea how your video card compared to a 6800GT)

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 02-22-2010 11:01:42 AM
Not wanting to spend the $50 to buy a new game, I re-opened my EvE account, giving it a couple months to see if it's fun for a casual gamer.
Maradon!
posted 02-28-2010 08:24:47 PM
quote:
x--Ghost of Forums PastO-('-'Q) :
I re-opened my EvE account, giving it a couple months to see if it's fun for a casual gamer.

If you're trying to have fun in EVE you're missing the point.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-02-2010 01:26:42 AM
I almost considered buying into it... but was a day or 3 late getting the free extra 60 days. Ah well...
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Akiraiu Zenko
posted 03-02-2010 10:31:25 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator's fortune cookie read:
I almost considered buying into it... but was a day or 3 late getting the free extra 60 days. Ah well...

You can thank the whiny douchebags on the STO forums for that.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 03-02-2010 11:12:39 PM
quote:
This one time, at Zephyer Kyuukaze camp:
You can thank the whiny douchebags on the STO forums for that.

Like they're really different from the whiney douchebags on any MMO forum? Christ, the whining about the Del Taco tie-in alone could have powered a small city for year.

Callalron
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Steven Steve
posted 03-02-2010 11:30:48 PM
Lmao, Commander Jack Burton

We got em good, didn't we, Wang?

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 03-02-2010 11:39:20 PM
"We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we Wang?"
Callalron
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Akiraiu Zenko
posted 03-02-2010 11:51:01 PM
You should have named your ship the USS Porkchop Express.
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 03-03-2010 12:28:49 AM
Don't think the idea didn't cross my mind. A LOT.

I could name my bridge officers Wang, Gracie, Egg Shen and Eddie.

Callalron
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-03-2010 02:22:51 AM
quote:
Callalron stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Like they're really different from the whiney douchebags on any MMO forum? Christ, the whining about the Del Taco tie-in alone could have powered a small city for year.

It's not like Cryptic didn't do this kind of crap before from what I understand.

The game hasn't appeared interesting enough for the $50 "30 day trial", but 90 days did seem like a "reasonable" stab at it.

Ah well. I know a few people around me were a little upset over the DelTaco bit... mostly because there are none around here anymore... I don't think I've seen one since the 80's..

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Akiraiu Zenko
posted 03-03-2010 09:48:00 AM
I miss Del Taco.

There were some in St Louis when I lived there with Aury.

Steven Steve
posted 03-03-2010 02:58:03 PM
There are like 4 Del Tacos within 5 miles of my house, seriously
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 03-04-2010 02:28:32 AM
Being in Northern Wisconsin I can safely say I've never seen a Del Taco. Hell there's only 1 taco bell around here and it's almost 20 minutes from my house. The next closest is almost 100 miles from here.
nem-x
posted 03-05-2010 12:06:38 PM
My account expired yesterday, but I'm still able to play. So I went and beat the raid encounter. The loot couldn't have possibly been worse.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: