EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Hilarious Phantom Menace review
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-01-2010 02:23:27 PM
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-01-2010 04:06:24 PM

I don't even know why I have them on DVD.

Disappointment given physical form.

nem-x
posted 01-01-2010 04:27:36 PM
Peter
Pancake
posted 01-01-2010 10:13:57 PM
While amusing...really why sooo long
Tarquinn
posted 01-02-2010 05:03:33 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Peter!
While amusing...really why sooo long

Here's a much shorter review of the new Star Trek movie for you.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-02-2010 06:20:36 PM
quote:
Tarquinn said:
Here's a much shorter review of the new Star Trek movie for you.

It's pretty much spot on. You tell yourself it wasn't so bad, maybe even enjoyable, but always start crying when you look back on the experience.

As a side note, I still really don't know why Star Trek keeps getting rave reviews. It was possibly the worst movie I've seen all year. Unless you're an easily pleased member of the ADD generation who craves being blinded by lens flares is every god damn scene, there's no reason to think the movie was anything else than utter garbage.

Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 01-02-2010 06:57:58 PM
quote:
Mortious spewed forth this undeniable truth:
It's pretty much spot on. You tell yourself it wasn't so bad, maybe even enjoyable, but always start crying when you look back on the experience.

As a side note, I still really don't know why Star Trek keeps getting rave reviews. It was possibly the worst movie I've seen all year. Unless you're an easily pleased member of the ADD generation who craves being blinded by lens flares is every god damn scene, there's no reason to think the movie was anything else than utter garbage.

So...you know exactly why and are just in denial about how much of society that is these days? Hell, a lot of adults are like that these days as well.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-02-2010 07:29:19 PM
I like being in denial though.

It stops me being depressed about the fact society as a whole are fucking morons.

Maradon!
posted 01-05-2010 07:47:33 PM
Oh I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than society

Let me just live in my house made by society, typing on my internet made by society

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 01-05-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 01-05-2010 09:56:34 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Knight Rider:

It stops me being depressed about the fact society as a whole are fucking morons.

It certainly beats the alternative, which is realizing that society is pretty a big, unorganized bunch of screwheads, not being in denial, and then ping-ponging between rage and frustration.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-06-2010 03:54:27 AM
quote:
Mortious has the right stuff

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately and I'm going to try to take the first steps toward putting my thoughts into words via this post.

With the advent of stuff like Star Trek, Twilight, what have you, there's frequently a call raised: "How could this shit be so popular? Why are people so dumb?"

I think the best way to summarize it is: sometimes things are popular for a reason, sometimes boring shit isn't automatically intellectual.

Take Twilight, for example: yes, it's completely asinine and stupid and probably endorses condoning of abusive relationships in impressionable young women. This is so very rarely the complaint lodged against it, though, with the foremost being: "BUT THOSE AREN'T VAMPIRES." No, they aren't the traditional take on vampires (and why the weirdo author decided to call them vampires when they have next to nothing in common with them, I'll never know), but really, amongst everything wrong with the book, why is the leading complaint that the vampires don't conform to a model used in a sort of clandestine manner by nerds?

Really, that's what everything behind this "if it's popular, it sucks" motif is: the loss of nerd identity. Star Trek is loathed because it used to be OUR show. Twilight is loathed because those are OUR vampires they're desecrating. Etc. etc.

But really, what's the worst thing that they did with Star Trek? Make it...fun? Most Star Trek fans eagerly admit that 90% of the episodes (including one entire SERIES) were completely, mind-numbingly boring. This is a point of pride to them, since it was written in a secret language that only they had the patience to listen to and they convinced themselves was only understood by them.

Prior to this, though, there was an outcry over how much nerds were persecuted and how terrible it was that no one understood them. Really, this is just society recognizing the value of nerd-dom and accepting it quite gleefully. Star Trek is just the attempt to make it easier for the rest of society to "get it."

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-06-2010 05:54:12 AM
Good post Parce and more than likely 100% correct.

I'll ignore Maradons post for now since he's not trying hard enough. Get my red pen and see me after class.

Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 01-06-2010 08:24:04 AM
I agree. I also agree that the Star Trek shows are mind-numbingly boring. Very first one ever was okay, sorta.

I pretty much hate Twilight because it teaches people to be angsty and abusive/ed

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Maradon!
posted 01-06-2010 06:06:38 PM
I can't say politically substantive things anymore, I just make people angry. I started going to political meetups and had people saying they couldn't stand to talk to me after the first month.

Anyway, I've been running my mouth around here long enough that you probably already know what I would have said had I expounded my point properly.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 01-06-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-06-2010 08:48:41 PM
quote:
Vallo, the Second Coming impressed everyone with:
I agree. I also agree that the Star Trek shows are mind-numbingly boring. Very first one ever was okay, sorta.

I pretty much hate Twilight because it teaches people to be angsty and abusive/ed

And what was the first Star Trek? Fighting, goatees, scantily-clad women, laser guns.

That stuff everyone can understand. It wasn't until The Next Generation that shit got all into world-building.

The problem with world-building is that it sort of has to be background with characters in it at the forefront. TNG still worked on this level because Picard was funny and relateable and a diverse cast of characters kept things interesting. Beyond that, the characters were aggressively dull.

If world-building is at the forefront, it's pretty much pointless. I'll show you great mountains, babbling brooks, maybe flowers that excrete pollen that gives you explosive diarrhea. But without a character for you to relate to, I'm basically saying: "Here, look at this great playground. What? Oh, no, you can't play in it. Just look."

It's the same concept that made True Blood work so well.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 01-09-2010 09:53:04 AM
Ignoring the banter of the thread, I would like to thank you for the link.
Steven Steve
posted 01-09-2010 08:06:01 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Maradon!:
I can't say politically substantive things anymore, I just make people angry. I started going to political meetups and had people saying they couldn't stand to talk to me after the first month.

Anyway, I've been running my mouth around here long enough that you probably already know what I would have said had I expounded my point properly.

political meetups

lmao

I want to give you a swirlie so bad

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Steven Steve
posted 01-09-2010 08:07:40 PM
Also I haven't seen the new Star Trek movie or Twilight or any of that, although I watched the entire Phantom Menace review and it was excellent
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Maradon!
posted 01-10-2010 12:37:55 PM
quote:
Steven Steveing:
political meetups

lmao

I want to give you a swirlie so bad

Haha, it's actually pretty awesome, but the demographic breaks down into either 1) People who already agree with me, or 2) Hysterical jesusfreaks who only care about Obama's birth certificate and banning abortion and gay marriage.

The former aren't so bad to talk to but generally don't present many new viewpoints. The latter were fun to engage at first, but now they don't bother objecting to anything I say because they know that I've actually thought my viewpoints through and they haven't.

Tarquinn
posted 01-10-2010 01:30:34 PM
quote:
Verily, Maradon! doth proclaim:
Haha, it's actually pretty awesome, but the demographic breaks down into either 1) People who already agree with me, or 2) Hysterical jesusfreaks who only care about Obama's birth certificate and banning abortion and gay marriage.

The former aren't so bad to talk to but generally don't present many new viewpoints. The latter were fun to engage at first, but now they don't bother objecting to anything I say because they know that I've actually thought my viewpoints through and they haven't.

So there are two groups, people that agree with you and people that don't. And you wtfpwned the latter.

Got it.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-10-2010 02:01:56 PM
Of course, Tarq! We all know it's impossible for rational people to disagree on politics. Much like ice cream flavors, comic book heros, and physics, it's clear there can be only one correct answer to a political question.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Greenlit
posted 01-10-2010 07:05:03 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Bloodsage:
Of course, Tarq! We all know it's impossible for rational people to disagree on politics. Much like ice cream flavors, comic book heros, and physics, it's clear there can be only one correct answer to a political question.

It's literally impossible for Batman to be better than Superman, anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Maradon!
posted 01-10-2010 08:37:08 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Bloodsage booooze lime pole over bench lick:

It's funny you should mention that, because the political questions I really care about are the ones with only one possible answer.

I don't know why you chose to be flippant, the point of my comment wasn't to say that people were irrational for disagreeing with me but to express regret that there weren't any rational people who disagreed with me to talk to.

Kinda like on these forums!

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 01-11-2010 03:33:41 AM
i'm right

yeah I guess nsfw

Inferno-Spirit fucked around with this message on 01-11-2010 at 03:34 AM.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Tarquinn
posted 01-11-2010 05:07:31 AM
quote:
Maradon! painfully thought these words up:
It's funny you should mention that, because the political questions I really care about are the ones with only one possible answer.

I don't know why you chose to be flippant, the point of my comment wasn't to say that people were irrational for disagreeing with me but to express regret that there weren't any rational people who disagreed with me to talk to.

Sorry, fixed.

quote:
Tarquinn Model 2000 was programmed to say:
So there are two groups, people that agree with you are rational and people that don't aren't. And you wtfpwned the latter.

Got it.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 01-11-2010 at 05:09 AM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-11-2010 06:27:48 AM
All I know is that when I read that Maradon goes to political meetups, this massive, shit-eating grin slowly spread across my face.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-11-2010 08:29:28 AM
Actually, it really wasn't a shit-eating grin. It was more like that smirk that House makes when he realizes Wilson has been fucking with him the entire episode.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 01-11-2010 04:06:53 PM
Are you a tea bagger maradon.

Do you tea bag?

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-12-2010 03:30:20 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Maradon! absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:

So what's an example of a political question with only one correct answer?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-12-2010 09:02:14 PM
quote:
Bloodsage got served! Bloodsage got served!
So what's an example of a political question with only one correct answer?

I was gonna come up with a silly answer, but then I decided not to steal Maradon's thunder.

Beer.

Zair
The Imp
posted 01-22-2010 02:21:10 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Knight Rider:

With the advent of stuff like Star Trek, Twilight, what have you, there's frequently a call raised: "How could this shit be so popular? Why are people so dumb?"

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/adults_go_wild_over_latest_in

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: