EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Who's still in college?
Gadani
U
posted 11-16-2009 11:45:13 PM
What classes are you taking next semester?

These threads used to pop up all the time D:

Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-17-2009 12:14:43 AM
I'm wishing I could still go to college. I wasted the last several years and, now that I have a family to tend to, I can't really go back without some particular circumstances coming together; I'm thinking of trying for a voice scholarship sometime in the next couple of years but that really feels like a pipe dream.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 11-17-2009 06:05:46 AM
neuroscience, behavioural neuroscience, uhhh inorganic chemistry and some other nonsense
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 11-17-2009 07:47:01 AM
I'm not, but I'm on the fence on whether or not I want to start my masters. The hesitation is mainly short term greed - I enjoy my life as it is now and am iffy about sacrificing free time that I can use as I see fit.

With around ten plus years experience and a BS degree, a Masters won't give me much but pride and a challenge. The other part to it is that without a masters, I'd be by far the least educated member of my family.

edit: Thanks to this post and about 2 minutes of self reflection, I'm going to do it. With these economic times a little backup won't hurt. If I'm a year into it and it isn't for me, I can always just stop.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 11-17-2009 at 07:57 AM.

Steven Steve
posted 11-17-2009 10:16:38 AM
"Sustainable Food Systems", Calculus II
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 11-17-2009 01:57:35 PM
I'm on 10 week terms, 5 terms per year. Just finished Intro to Research and my Comprehensive Exam last week. Started Family Counseling this week. FWIW, I'm working on a Master's in Counseling Psychology. Not only am I the first one in my family of origin to get a Bachelor's degree, I'm trying to top it off with a Master's.
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 11-17-2009 02:42:18 PM
I havent decided what classes I'm taking, but I do all mine online. I hate sitting in a classroom for hours.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 11-17-2009 04:08:15 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Vernaltemptress:
I'm on 10 week terms, 5 terms per year. Just finished Intro to Research and my Comprehensive Exam last week. Started Family Counseling this week. FWIW, I'm working on a Master's in Counseling Psychology. Not only am I the first one in my family of origin to get a Bachelor's degree, I'm trying to top it off with a Master's.

FIRST GEN COLLEGE KIDS REPRESENT

I'm taking:
Media Sales
Branding Decisions in Advertising
Media Law
Ad Copy and Layout
and a 2 week intersession course called Getting Ready to Get a Job.

I'm going to see an advisor next Monday to make sure I'm in the right classes and that everything is on track. Hopefully I will have a Bachelor's by this time next year. Ideally I'd like to work professionally in an agency for a couple of years and then maybe go back for a Master's in Mass Comm or something along those lines.

Monica fucked around with this message on 11-17-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Gadani
U
posted 11-17-2009 04:51:01 PM
quote:
Monica had this to say about Cuba:
FIRST GEN COLLEGE KIDS REPRESENT

HELLS YEAHHHH

Anyway, I just noticed I forgot to post my own classes:

Teaching Vocal Music (Grades 6-12)
Conducting
Tonal Counterpoint
Piano Sight-Reading and Accompanying II
Music History II (Classical-Present)
Vocal Pedagogy
Child Psychology
2 ensembles and voice lesson

Only one more year until I have my degree (hopefully)!

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-17-2009 04:54:59 PM
I'm pretty much first-generation college, as well.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Lazzay
omg mack attack :(
posted 11-17-2009 07:14:42 PM
First generation!

I'm taking Morphology, Language Testing, Logic, Turkish, Security Issues in Eurasia, and on the fence about whether I'll stay in Calculus or not. :3

one two three fo let me see that tootsie roll
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 11-17-2009 07:45:22 PM
Father had his Masters in Civil Engineering and Mom was two BAs from UCSD

Anyways.

19th Century American History

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Eyewitness Identification - This is being taught by Beth Loftus, one of the top eye witness testimony researchers on the planet. I'm pretty stoked.

Peer Educators - This is more of an internship thing. We do primary preventative psychoeducation on campus.

Addy
posted 11-20-2009 05:47:43 AM
some chem class
Environmental Ethics
Studies in Leadership
Strategies of Human Communication
Drug Use and Abuse
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-20-2009 09:33:59 AM
My grandfather went to college, but neither of my parents did. I guess I'm first-and-a-half generation, or something.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-21-2009 03:35:31 AM
Next semester I am taking 4 Thesis credits and 1 Colloquium credit.

Unless something catastrophic happens, I will be defending my thesis in April and will be finished with my MA in May.

Dr. Gee
posted 11-21-2009 02:11:03 PM
quote:
From the book of Falaanla Marr, chapter 3, verse 16:
Next semester I am taking 4 Thesis credits and 1 Colloquium credit.

Unless something catastrophic happens, I will be defending my thesis in April and will be finished with my MA in May.

Are you in a Ph.D program or are you going to be done after the MA?

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-21-2009 03:03:23 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Dr. Gee!
Are you in a Ph.D program or are you going to be done after the MA?

This is just an MA program, but I am likely looking at applying...somewhere... for a PhD.

Dr. Gee
posted 11-22-2009 04:08:24 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Falaanla Marr said:
This is just an MA program, but I am likely looking at applying...somewhere... for a PhD.

Ah cool, good luck. I waited too long to apply to grad programs this year and I got dropped for a Teach for America interview, so I'm going to be sitting on my ass all next year doing, hopefully, some research assisting at UCI and being a coordinator for the Counseling Center program I'm in right now.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: