EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Fans spin but no POST...
Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-13-2009 02:27:31 AM
So, I moved my server rig into a new case and it promptly refused to power on. It did this when I installed it in the previous case as well but I can't remember how I fixed it. It was working just fine until I swapped cases. Anyone have ideas?

Abit Fatal1ty F190HD
Core 2 Duo E6600
4gb Mushkin RAM
Antec NSK2480 case and PSU

Wifi card, 2 HDDs, and an optical drive are the only other things drawing on the PSU; it should be well under load.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Razor
posted 11-13-2009 09:31:50 AM
check your board for ground shorts, most likely caused by a badly placed screw or screw post.
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-14-2009 03:59:07 AM
quote:
Razor had this to say about the Spice Girls:
check your board for ground shorts, most likely caused by a badly placed screw or screw post.

This. Basically if this happens the best answer is to carefully reseat everything.

edit: this includes RAM, video card, all power cables -- everything. Remove and firmly reattach every single thing.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 11-14-2009 at 03:59 AM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-14-2009 12:26:59 PM
I'm sorry for letting this lie, I actually got the problem resolved yesterday and it did actually involve reseating the RAM, the sound card, and all of the damned cables. The end result is a visually attractive solution for my wife's voice studio; paired with large hard drives and the Modern Warfare 2 360, it makes a damned nice media center.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 11-14-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

nem-x
posted 11-14-2009 01:17:24 PM
quote:
Damnati had this to say about dark elf butts:
my wife's

Number 1 Poster
posted 11-14-2009 02:44:04 PM
See this is why I want to buy prebuilt computers BLINDY NEM AND ANYONE ELSE WHO HAD SOMETHING TO SAY ABOUT IT.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-14-2009 03:13:56 PM
quote:
Fly Me To The Moon had this to say about Tron:
See this is why I want to buy prebuilt computers BLINDY NEM AND ANYONE ELSE WHO HAD SOMETHING TO SAY ABOUT IT.

HURR PLUG CARD INTO SLOT SI HRAD~!!!!11!!1!11!1ONE

It's really not that big of a deal to build and troubleshoot a system. I could a Blu-Ray player, a MediaSmart server, a TiVo, and a dedicated media extender...or I can buy a motherboard, a case, a couple HDDs, a tuner card, and a Blu-Ray drive; all of the above functions for under $600. Why complain about a little troubleshooting?

Damnati fucked around with this message on 11-14-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Nina
posted 11-15-2009 01:21:07 AM
quote:
Damnati stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
It's really not that big of a deal to build and troubleshoot a system.

But it's still boring as fuck.

I'd rather shell out an extra $300 for a Dell and warranty (oh nos there goes four hours worth of pay) and not have to fiddle around with trite stuff like reseating components and paying for replacement parts.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 11-16-2009 09:36:56 AM
quote:
Fly Me To The Moon must think they're pretty smart:

You are a pussy wrapped in a vagina.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: