EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Windows 7
nem-x
posted 10-30-2009 08:13:03 PM
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 10-30-2009 08:17:47 PM
There's apparently a place that sells it to students (provided you have a valid .edu address) for 29 bucks. better than the 110 (as long as you nab the right version for yourself.)
Damnati
Filthy
posted 10-30-2009 09:57:49 PM
Emphatically yes.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 10-30-2009 10:04:06 PM
Are you using vista now? Then yes.

Are you using xp now? Make sure your hardware has vista support, then yes.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 10-30-2009 11:13:07 PM
quote:
nem-x got a whole lot of nerve:
Yes? No? Wait a while?

it is time my friend

it is time

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 10-31-2009 12:43:11 AM
What i can't find a solid yes/no answer on is with the family pack of Windows 7 that lets you install on 3 seperate computers, what is the limitation? Namely that we want to get Windows 7 for my mother in law and uncle in law (Along with us) for Christmas but not sure if we do that would something terrible happen.

Says in the description "in the same house" for the 3 installs but really not sure how enforcable that actually is

Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-03-2009 10:06:14 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Vorago said:
What i can't find a solid yes/no answer on is with the family pack of Windows 7 that lets you install on 3 seperate computers, what is the limitation? Namely that we want to get Windows 7 for my mother in law and uncle in law (Along with us) for Christmas but not sure if we do that would something terrible happen.

Says in the description "in the same house" for the 3 installs but really not sure how enforcable that actually is

MAC + IP address = failed activation, I would think.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 11-04-2009 11:40:50 AM
Let me tell you how hard Microsoft enforces those kind of licencing distinctions.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-04-2009 01:11:42 PM
quote:
Blindy attempted to be funny by writing:
Let me tell you how hard Microsoft enforces those kind of licencing distinctions.

I'd figure it's an easy-to-automate fire and forget sort of thing. Nothing they actually need to pay attention to. Given how they don't enforce any kind of restriction on Technet keys, I suppose you're probably right.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 11-05-2009 07:10:06 PM
Been on 7 for months since beta.

A very solid yes.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-06-2009 01:20:48 PM
With 7, I'll be doing a clean install and making the leap from 32-bit t 64-bit. Anything I need to watch out for or make sure I do/don't do?

Obviously, I plan to update the drivers/firmware for everything from my motherboard to my mousepad.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-06-2009 02:45:13 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Duck Tales:
With 7, I'll be doing a clean install and making the leap from 32-bit t 64-bit. Anything I need to watch out for or make sure I do/don't do?

Obviously, I plan to update the drivers/firmware for everything from my motherboard to my mousepad.

If you don't do it already, make sure you set up a 40-80 gig partition to install Windows on and then partition the rest of the drive in one big block; I've taken to making Documents, Music, Videos, Downloads, and Pictures folders on the second partition to designate for the according Libraries.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-06-2009 02:52:02 PM
multiple partitions aren't really worth bothering with anymore i dunno

even if you have to reinstall Windows, it'll just move everything relevant to a Windows.old folder that you can recover from. If you're worried about losing shit then have real backups

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 11-06-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-06-2009 02:56:55 PM
Farted about a bit with Windows 7 Home Premium that came on my fathers new laptop, still running XP on my system. I like it.. I certainly do like it.
Gadani
U
posted 11-06-2009 04:30:32 PM
Waiting for the free upgrade that came with my system when I bought it a couple months ago to be shipped to me...
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-06-2009 06:28:47 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Bloodsage wrote:

If you have an existing XP 32-bit partition the 64-bit Win7 installer will not operate correctly. You need to format the 32-bit partition before attempting the install. I ran into this and it confused me for a little while.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-08-2009 11:04:48 AM
Took the plunge and posting from W7. I hope I backed up everything I needed!

So far I like the new interface, though I still don't have sound, am in the process of downloading my NVidia driver, and had to roll back the wireless N driver because it killed my connection.

Only thing that really worries me is getting Office installed and working. It didn't occur to me until I'd started that I'll probably have to pay for a 64-bit version. sadf

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-08-2009 11:26:21 AM
32 bit versions will run in the 32 bit ghetto fine.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-08-2009 12:09:04 PM
Good to know.

But of course I've just figured out my sound card isn't compatible. And the Creative web site sucks. Looks like it's back to the on-board sound for the time being.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-08-2009 02:34:53 PM
quote:
Bloodsage said this about your mom:
Good to know.

But of course I've just figured out my sound card isn't compatible. And the Creative web site sucks. Looks like it's back to the on-board sound for the time being.

There's no Vista driver for it? If it won't run the installer for a Vista driver, right-click -> Properties, and set compatibility for Vista. Works fine every time.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-08-2009 02:35:04 PM
Same here, Creative is a terrible company and I don't know why they can't get a logo certified driver out in almost a years time.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-08-2009 04:29:09 PM
Creative stopped giving a shit once they realised they were the only sound card manufacturer people ever buy.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-09-2009 06:58:59 PM
Only because the other sound card companies manage to be worse.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-10-2009 10:45:36 AM
Who buys a separate sound card anymore? Or are we talking about drivers for sound on the mobo?
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-10-2009 01:19:34 PM
People who want decent surround sound or less line noise I guess

I haven't bothered with discrete sound cards for a long time.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 11-10-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-10-2009 11:04:24 PM
AC97 drivers have a signed version that Win7 will download. I mostly have a discreet sound solution for when I'm using the optical sound connection.
Nina
posted 11-11-2009 12:13:47 PM
quote:
Verily, Naimah doth proclaim:
AC97 drivers have a signed version that Win7 will download.

Yeah, it does:

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-11-2009 12:39:38 PM
you don't have to install the software
Nina
posted 11-12-2009 12:31:09 AM
Yes. I figured "Hey, drivers from Windows update, maybe they won't come with Asus's terrible soundman.exe".

But no, it still came with it like some trojan from hell. Thankfully, everything that it did badly can be done just fine with 7's Sound control panel, so I don't have to use soundman, ever.

Maradon!
posted 11-30-2009 07:18:45 PM
Kinda disappointed that they took out dreamscenes.

Also, the image previewer still doesn't play animated .gif images.

Besides those two little things, Win7 has been heads and tails superior to Vista and XP since RTM.

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-01-2009 01:48:25 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Tron:
Kinda disappointed that they took out dreamscenes.

I think Stardock sells an program to enable them

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-01-2009 12:00:09 PM
I really liked the idea of dreamscenes...but never found a compelling one with a seamless loop.

Maradon!
posted 12-02-2009 06:17:06 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Peter booooze lime pole over bench lick:
I think Stardock sells an program to enable them

There's actually a registry hack that lets you set a video as your wallpaper in Win7.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: