EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: PHP-type question
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-08-2009 04:17:25 PM
Anyone have a clue how I could duplicate the ROLL bbcode stuff we have here on the EC boards? I'm trying to puzzle it out on a phpbb3 board and I've got a bbcode working, but it doesn't embed into the post like this one does and will change the results anytime you edit or refresh the post.

Blah.

I sent Drys a PM asking about it, but I figured I'll probably retire from the internet before he replies

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 10-08-2009 05:23:32 PM
Found this: Dice Roller script/images

and:
this.

Katrinity fucked around with this message on 10-08-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-09-2009 12:35:14 PM
The latter link is something I already looked at. It doesn't work in phpbb3 unfortunately, and even if it did, it looks to be a horribly complicated dice rolling script.

The vB link I've also seen, but you can't even look at the attachments unless you're registered. Then when you go through the trouble of registering, it tells you that you still can't do anything until you can prove you have a valid vB license. Lame.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 10-09-2009 01:37:44 PM
Well poo. I'm not versed in php otherwise I'd try to help, Bajah.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-09-2009 03:23:03 PM
The thought that counts, Kat Thanks!
Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 10-15-2009 09:02:49 PM
I'm not familiar with the structure of phpBB3 or what restrictions you have to work with, so forgive me if I get this wrong, but it seems like it'd be fairly simple to implement.

If you've got the actual dice rolling functionality working, then getting it to embed in the post should just be a matter of replacing the tag with the formatted result before it gets submitted to the database (and flagging it to prevent further editing). If the tag gets converted to plaintext before it goes into the database, you won't need to be doing any rolling when it comes back out and you'll avoid refreshes giving different results.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-16-2009 04:15:41 PM
It's not fairly simple, unfortunately

Fortunately, though, I got it figured out, mostly! It's not identical to this setup, but it works.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: