EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: With recoveries like this, who needs recessions?
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-15-2009 04:05:10 PM
Nyoho!

I've said before that this recession is going to be a protracted one, and Bernanke doesn't inspire me one bit. Here's why: 2/3rds of our economy is based on consumer spending. No cheap credit means that consumers can't spend beyond their means--certainly not like they did in the good years. No such spending means, quite simply, that the economy can never recover to where it was before the poop hit the paddles.

To actually improve things, we may have to resort to the abhorred, archaic practice of actually producing things...you know, that ridiculous method of economic activity the backwards 1/3rd of our economy still employs.

Maybe historians will call Ben Bernanke the next Herbert Hoover. "Gentleman, you have come sixty days too late. The depression is over." I mean, I certainly hope not, but the empirical data upon which he is basing his assessment is terribly sketchy.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 09-15-2009 04:57:56 PM
recession just means moving backwards. As long as the economy is bigger tomorrow than it was yesterday it is growing. Even if 2 years ago it was bigger than it is now.
Maradon!
posted 09-16-2009 12:46:43 AM
The biggest market crash of the great depression happened in 1933, not 1929.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-16-2009 01:02:05 AM
The entire US economy is leveraged at 5:1, and no one wants our debt anymore. We aren't going to have real growth for awhile.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: