EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The Beatles: Rock Band
Blackened
posted 09-05-2009 05:26:57 PM
Just beat it. (Expert Guitar)

I have to say, this game was impressive start to finish. You can really tell this was a labor of love for Harmonix in multiple ways: Games, music, art, and the Beatles.

If you've enjoyed any GH/RB style games in the past, I recommend at least renting this game and playing it. It's easily beatable in a day, as there are only 45 songs. However, bring a buddy or two because this game just begs for two people to experience how inspirational and talented the Beatles were.

None of the songs were ball-bustingly challenging for guitar, but some of the harder ones were just really, really fun. I'm looking forward to replaying it on the drums and vocals.

4.5/5

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-05-2009 06:17:09 PM
Pirated version, or did gamestop start selling these early or something?
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 09-05-2009 06:59:15 PM
I'm guessing he arrrrr'd it.

But that's just me.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-05-2009 07:56:01 PM
quote:
Callalron had this to say about the Spice Girls:
I'm guessing he arrrrr'd it.

But that's just me.

I wouldn't doubt some stores selling early either.

But if they did, I want to know so I can go get my copy.

Blackened
posted 09-05-2009 08:22:46 PM
Yeah, I pirated it.

But I also have it preordered from Amazon. Special Edition for $50 thanks to Amazon's used-game promotion they were running about a month ago.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-05-2009 08:30:46 PM
quote:
Blackened had this to say about Duck Tales:
Yeah, I pirated it.

But I also have it preordered from Amazon. Special Edition for $50 thanks to Amazon's used-game promotion they were running about a month ago.

Very nice.

I'm getting the regular edition, since I already have drums, guitars and all that shit.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-06-2009 12:04:20 AM
If you could, compare the hardest song in TB:RB to something roughly equivalant in RB2's setlist. Right now I'm starting to handle Tier 6 songs on Expert guitar, so I want to see if I'll be able to hack it in TB:RB.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blackened
posted 09-06-2009 12:44:42 AM
quote:
Karnaj.
If you could, compare the hardest song in TB:RB to something roughly equivalant in RB2's setlist. Right now I'm starting to handle Tier 6 songs on Expert guitar, so I want to see if I'll be able to hack it in TB:RB.
The two hardest guitar songs are 'Get Back' and 'Revolution'. I would consider them equal in difficulty to Tier 5/6 songs in RB.

But also consider our skill levels are different, so certain note progressions I might find easier to process/execute than you. I can pass this song pretty easily.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-06-2009 01:36:43 AM
quote:
And now, we sprinkle Blackened liberally with Old Spice!
The two hardest guitar songs are 'Get Back' and 'Revolution'. I would consider them equal in difficulty to Tier 5/6 songs in RB.

But also consider our skill levels are different, so certain note progressions I might find easier to process/execute than you. I can pass this song pretty easily.

Oh, no doubt. My main concern is that they made some song as hard as, say, Constant Motion, just for the hell of it. Since that's not the case, though, I think I'll be happy with this game. Even if I can't play a few songs on Expert, it's the Goddamned Beatles.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 09-06-2009 02:07:31 AM
I want that game a lot.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-09-2009 01:59:24 PM
I checked out some expert guitar vids on the utubes, and I'm supremely pumped. Even the two tougher songs Black mentioned look pretty fun, and reasonably passable. It seems like the songs would be a bitch and a half to FC, but I leave that work to the obsessives and just have fun with the game.

Funnily enough, I got around to renting Guitar Hero: Metallica and, perhaps appropriately, it's the hardest one of these games I've ever played. It'll be nice to have an easier go of things while listening to some great music.

Beer.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-10-2009 10:24:38 PM
So on Black's recommendation, I picked this game up. I must now add my recommendation to the pile: this game is great. The songs are fun, it's a visual treat (I'm kinda pissed that I have to be so attentive to the note highway, because the stuff going on the background is great fun). A great technical feature is that game automatically calibrates your instrument when you start up; I have no doubt this has bumped up my scores.

What charts I've seen are fantastic, too. The chord progressions on some songs simply feel natural, despite an initially complicated appearance. I don't think anyone could rightly complain that the songs are over- or under-charted.

If you like these games, or if you simply like the Beatles, this is a great buy.

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 09-10-2009 10:43:25 PM
FYI: Michael Jackson's estate owns the rights to every Beatles song.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-10-2009 11:22:47 PM
pretty sure he sold it when he was short on cash
Greenlit
posted 09-11-2009 12:17:08 AM
quote:
Kegwen painfully thought these words up:
pretty sure he sold it when he was short on cash

they belong to Sony/ATV Music Publishing which Jackson still had a 50% share in

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 09-11-2009 12:31:17 AM
I've never played Rock Band or Guitar Hero.
A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-11-2009 12:38:31 AM
quote:
Bricktop had this to say about Duck Tales:
I've never played Rock Band or Guitar Hero.

Let's all pay attention to you.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 09-11-2009 12:46:39 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Cuba:
Let's all pay attention to you.

YOU MAD, BRAH?

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 09-11-2009 12:49:25 AM
remember that time i copied one of your stories and just changed the character you named after me to be named after you and all the people who hate your stories and say they aren't funny laughed at mine

lol

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 09-11-2009 01:03:05 AM
I really want to get this game since I love The Beatles' music, but I absolutely suck at these kinds of games.

Guess I'll have to settle for getting the remastered catalog and listening to that.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
nem-x
posted 09-11-2009 01:07:00 AM
quote:
Bricktop had this to say about the Spice Girls:
remember that time i copied one of your stories and just changed the character you named after me to be named after you and all the people who hate your stories and say they aren't funny laughed at mine

lol

link

Nina
posted 09-11-2009 08:36:48 AM
quote:
Karnaj impressed everyone with:
A great technical feature is that game automatically calibrates your instrument when you start up; I have no doubt this has bumped up my scores.

RB2 has that too.

I gave it a go, though, and it feels like I'm actually missing more while "properly" calibrated.

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 09-11-2009 02:44:12 PM
we got it, think it's great fun.

but who knew they ripped off Oasis so much?

Nina
posted 09-17-2009 03:35:49 PM
So I've been playing this a bit, and I just love all the attention to detail. Rather than just try to milk celebrity cred like Activision did with Metallica, Tool, Aerosmith and Nirvana, Harmonix actually put a lot of effort in making this game honest to the Beatles. It's clearly a labour of love in every possible way, I can imagine they had so much fun making this.

Making harmonies is damned hard, though, everyone always ends up singing the lead melody.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 09-17-2009 04:15:31 PM
quote:
Blah blah blah Nina blah blah blah...
RB2 has that too.

I gave it a go, though, and it feels like I'm actually missing more while "properly" calibrated.

I think he was referring to the fact that when you first boot up the game it asks if you want to calibrate or not, rather than having it buried in an option menu somewhere if at some point in the future it "feels off".

Though it was nice that the RB2 guitar itself had a small visual and auditory sensor to auto-calibrate without the strumming. I assume the new instruments do too?

Zair
The Imp
posted 09-17-2009 09:55:26 PM
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-18-2009 03:04:25 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Nina stammered:
So I've been playing this a bit, and I just love all the attention to detail. Rather than just try to milk celebrity cred like Activision did with Metallica, Tool, Aerosmith and Nirvana, Harmonix actually put a lot of effort in making this game honest to the Beatles. It's clearly a labour of love in every possible way, I can imagine they had so much fun making this.

Making harmonies is damned hard, though, everyone always ends up singing the lead melody.

Yeah, that's why I enjoyed it so much. It really does feel like "Beatles Rock Band" instead of "Rock Band with some Beatles songs"

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: