EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Batman: Arkham Asylum
Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-26-2009 08:15:20 AM
Pros:

-Inverted takedowns are pretty awesome
-The Scarecrow level is scary as heck (not hell)
-Combat is fun; a lot of people complain that it's easy. The goal, in general, is to not get hit at all, rather than not get hit so many times that you die.
-Killer Croc reminds me fondly of Sean
-Voice acting is awesome
-Atmosphere is wicked cool
-Predator gameplay is really fun

Cons:

-You use the inverted takedown a lot because it's effective as heck
-Related to that, it's exceedingly frustrating when you take the time to hide long enough to swoop down and coat a weak wall with explosive gel and then no one even comes up to it so you can blow them up
-The game is pretty easy; on normal mode, it pretty much just tells me what to do if I fuck up. I can't imagine what it does on easy
-The Riddler sucks and "is driven by a chronic need for attention," which is just like me so I guess I am some kind of lunatic who leaves clues except instead of riddles it's snide comments and wine-stained kerchiefs
-'Sup with Batman getting gassed, seeing people freak out, being transported into a nightmare world and not realizing it's all an illusion caused by Scarecrow?

If you thought Bioshock was cool, except it needed a character with more personality and also you lamented the inability to swoop down from a gargoyle and rape people upside-down, then this game is for you

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-26-2009 08:17:24 AM
btw, do you think Batman ever scared a thug so bad he pooted himself?
New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 08-26-2009 01:56:12 PM
It's perhaps what all Batman games should of have been.

Much better than NES movie game.

What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 08-26-2009 02:56:13 PM
It's on it's way to my house via Gamefly.

I can't wait!

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Skaw
posted 08-29-2009 01:56:26 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan obviously shouldn't have said:
Pros:

-Inverted takedowns are pretty awesome
-The Scarecrow level is scary as heck (not hell)
-Combat is fun; a lot of people complain that it's easy. The goal, in general, is to not get hit at all, rather than not get hit so many times that you die.
-Killer Croc reminds me fondly of Sean
-Voice acting is awesome
-Atmosphere is wicked cool
-Predator gameplay is really fun
-Poison Ivy, DAT ASS

Good sir, you forgot one. It's okay, I've got you covered.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-29-2009 04:51:40 AM
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-29-2009 01:00:41 PM
For fun times, wait around when Riddler is first introduced and don't solve the "puzzle".
Blackened
posted 08-30-2009 09:47:57 PM
Awesome game, won a guiness world record. Challenge mode is jawsome.

The Scarecrow scenes are not simply "Batman is too stupid to understand," it's "Batman is trying to escape from the drug-induced visions".

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Maradon!
posted 08-31-2009 07:08:15 AM
Does Batman speak with Christian Bale's hilarious forced tough guy growl?
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-31-2009 08:17:25 AM
quote:
Maradon! spewed forth this undeniable truth:

God, I hope not.

I thought it was bad in the German version. Then I heard the original... syduck:

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 08-31-2009 09:27:42 AM
quote:
Maradon! thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

It sounds like the voice actor who did Batman in the old 90s Batman: The Animated Series.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-31-2009 12:05:11 PM
quote:
Katrinity got bored and wrote this:
It sounds like the voice actor who did Batman in the old 90s Batman: The Animated Series.

Aren't all the voice actors from the 90's series? Including Mark Hamill as The Joker?

Greenlit
posted 08-31-2009 01:43:10 PM
Yes.
Greenlit
posted 08-31-2009 01:43:51 PM
Except for Gordon.
Blackened
posted 08-31-2009 03:18:34 PM
quote:
Greenlit.
Except for Gordon.
All they needed was to get Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy.

But they also got Steven Blum, and someone who sounds suspiciously like Bender from Futurama.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-31-2009 09:08:45 PM
quote:
Blackened had this to say about Captain Planet:
All they needed was to get Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy.

But they also got Steven Blum, and someone who sounds suspiciously like Bender from Futurama.

Yes. I wonder how many inmates are committed to Arkham under the delusion that Steven Blum is using his shapeshifting powers to torment them, considering he's like half the staff at the asylum.

Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill are awesome, obv.

Killer Croc's voice is aight.

Harley Quinn's voice is from TAS, too.

Gordon's sucks.

Sharp's sucks.

Amadeus Arkham's is good, but I can't hear him as anyone but Mr. Harriman from Foster's now.

Maradon!
posted 09-02-2009 07:01:45 AM
quote:
Delphi Aegising:
Aren't all the voice actors from the 90's series? Including Mark Hamill as The Joker?

What was it that made that series so goddamn good?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-02-2009 07:28:48 AM
quote:
Maradon! said this about your mom:

The fact that the villains were genuinely psychotic, even back then, having to fulfill various deranged conditions before they could kill off Batman?

Which is pretty intense in this game, too. I love how every character goes deep into the psychological aspects of their problems, studying just how they became what they are. I didn't even know the Riddler had a crushing need for attention (though I suppose it was obvious). Further, I gather that this is what makes the Joker so damn scary: he completely defies every listing, diagnosis and theory surrounding psychiatry.

The characters are as great a part of this game as the gameplay itself, and the gameplay is boss sauce. The inmate tapes are fucking psychotic, specifically Scarecrow, Zsasz and Ivy.

Seriously, though, whose fucking genius idea was it to put a Botanical Gardens on an island that holds a woman who can control all plant life?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-02-2009 07:54:35 AM
did Batman ever scare someone so bad they pooped themselves?
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 09-02-2009 11:31:35 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Maradon!:

I became amazed with Christian Bale's vocal abilities after watching an interview with him. He's got the most unintelligible british accent in his normal speaking voice.

Bricktop fucked around with this message on 09-02-2009 at 11:32 PM.

A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-03-2009 08:52:31 AM
What is everyone's favorite boss battle/encounter?

I'm torn three ways: Killer Croc had some fantasmic tension to it the whole way through (very few games have ever made me go "FFFFFFFFFF" before), but the third Scarecrow encounter was a huge trip. Harley's fight comes in a distant third, just for the sheer hecticness of it all.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 09-03-2009 10:23:34 AM
quote:
Bricktop stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I became amazed with Christian Bale's vocal abilities after watching an interview with him. He's got the most unintelligible british accent in his normal speaking voice.

Isn't he actually Welsh? That would explain the unintelligible accent part.

quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
What is everyone's favorite boss battle/encounter?

I'm torn three ways: Killer Croc had some fantasmic tension to it the whole way through (very few games have ever made me go "FFFFFFFFFF" before), but the third Scarecrow encounter was a huge trip. Harley's fight comes in a distant third, just for the sheer hecticness of it all.

They were all pretty spiffy though Croc's did have the most atmosphere. I wish they would of cut back a little on the Titan Henchmen boss/mini-boss battles and added a few more actual super villains, ie. Clayface or Two-Face, etc.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Talonus
Loner
posted 09-03-2009 10:25:15 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Maradon!:

Its easy, the writers didn't treat kids like idiots. The basics were simple enough for a kid to grasp, but the writers weren't shy about including adult themes. There were some genuinely well done episodes in there, like "Heart of Ice".

Maybe its just nostalgia talking here, but I don't think we'll see any network doing something like Ren and Stimpy or Batman: The Animated Series again anytime soon. There seemed to be a pattern in the 90s of cartoon writers being allowed to get away with a lot of stuff that just isn't allowed these days.

Skaw
posted 09-04-2009 03:33:51 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Captain Planet:

I'm not sure, but you know you've done something fucking right when DC bends over and retcons/adds characters to the official universe because of your work.

nem-x
posted 09-13-2009 04:35:52 AM
nem-x
posted 09-16-2009 04:57:28 AM
Well that sucks. I was kind of hoping that I would fight bosses more than once.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: