EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Old Republic, Star Trek Online, Champions Online, Vanguard, Age of Conan, etc.
Steven Steve
posted 06-17-2009 09:56:41 AM
Will someone please make an MMORPG that doesn't look like fucking plastic? The gameplay in the first three I've listed here looks fairly entertaining, but it's like playing with action figures. Jesus fellas. Is it so much to ask for high-res textures rather than crappy gloss map stuff?

What are your opinions? Maradon, is all this gloss map/pseudo-cel shading stuff faggotry? Yes it is, you're right. Mortious, is there no way Old Republic could possibly go wrong? Discuss.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 06-17-2009 10:01:01 AM
The companies are just realistic. At some point in a MMORPG it's unavoidable to have to have 20-30 characters being rendered on your screen at the same time. If they go too fancy with the graphics, 90% of people won't be able to play it on anything but the lowest settings.
A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Steven Steve
posted 06-17-2009 10:05:50 AM
If they got rid of the gloss map though and just made the textures pathetic (e.g. World of Warcraft) then it would look like a proper piece of shit rather than a laminated mess though
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-17-2009 10:13:55 AM
quote:
The propaganda machine of Bricktop's junta released this statement:
The companies are just realistic. At some point in a MMORPG it's unavoidable to have to have 20-30 characters being rendered on your screen at the same time. If they go too fancy with the graphics, 90% of people won't be able to play it on anything but the lowest settings.

Snoota's gay.

I mean, uh, he's right. The broader range of hardware your game runs on, the better chance your game has at succeeding.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-17-2009 10:51:29 AM
Plenty could go wrong with The Old Republic. I'm excited about it but not at fanboi levels of excitement. SWG taught me not to set my hopes too high.

Although it's BioWare and I don't think I've played a game from them that I disliked. KOTOR2 was unfinished, but that's because the publishers rushed them.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 06-17-2009 01:45:21 PM
that steve sure does hate everything!
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 06-17-2009 03:06:46 PM
quote:
How.... Liam.... uughhhhhh:
that steve sure does hate everything!

Except DBZ.

A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-17-2009 03:33:42 PM
kamehaha bitch
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-17-2009 04:34:06 PM
quote:
Mortious stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Plenty could go wrong with The Old Republic. I'm excited about it but not at fanboi levels of excitement. SWG taught me not to set my hopes too high.

Although it's BioWare and I don't think I've played a game from them that I disliked. KOTOR2 was unfinished, but that's because the publishers rushed them.

if it goes PvE with PvP side bonus, it could be good!

A pure PvP MMO will never work, as WAR has taught us.

Gadani
U
posted 06-17-2009 07:15:03 PM
quote:
Mortious got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:

SWG was great after CU2. And before then, really. It was great up until they completely overhauled the class system, THEN it started sucking.

Jargum
Doughnut
posted 06-18-2009 02:43:53 PM
quote:
Gadani said this about your mom:
SWG was great after CU2. And before then, really. It was great up until they completely overhauled the class system, THEN it started sucking.

And let's not forget that they pulled that overhaul within a week or two after releasing an expansion.

Number 1 Poster
posted 06-19-2009 02:21:39 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about John Romero:
if it goes PvE with PvP side bonus, it could be good!

A pure PvP MMO will never work, as WAR has taught us.

Fuck you WAR is still awesome.

nem-x
posted 06-19-2009 02:32:42 PM
says guy who resubbed then quit after a week
Number 1 Poster
posted 06-19-2009 03:01:01 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when nem-x wrote:
says guy who resubbed then quit after a week

but still played for the rest of the month. During prime time hours it's still an awesome game.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: