EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Book Discussion Thread
Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-19-2009 07:03:40 AM
So, at the moment, I'm reading Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (originally bought at the recommendation of Bloodsage, but apparently beloved of all goons, as well), and I've got to say...why is this book so great?

The plot is fine: evil god-man killed my family for singing songs. That's a little strange, but okay.

The world is neat: medieval England again, but with an interesting system of magic.

It's the main character I have trouble with. Does he ever do anything wrong? Do his actions ever have any serious consequences he doesn't get rid of in the next chapter?

"Oh, some kid bullied me. Now I'll set him on fire.

"I want into the University! It's fine for me, because I know all the answers.

"My teacher is trying to embarrass me? We'll see about that! I'll use magic to burn him and get elevated to the highest position in the University on the second day of attendance because I'm so fucking good at all this shit you fuckers don't even know."

It reminds me a bit of Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy, except her character was frequently beaten down and his mistakes and rectifications changed him as a character and the story. This guy...what's happening here?

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-19-2009 07:11:59 AM
I found the ending of Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy to be a complete anti-climax. Poor sod gets beaten down all through the trilogy, ends up saving the world from misused forgotten magic, then has his girlfriend stolen by his best friend and no one knows who he is or what he's done. Story ends with him sitting in a cabin in the middle of nowhere, a forgotten hero. Bleh.

Robin Hobb's "The Liveship Traders" trilogy is good though. Still all the beat-downs but with a (sort of) happier ending.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-19-2009 07:45:42 AM
Yeah, that's kind of a bitch. But I feel that he had it coming for his shit actions through the first two books.

"Yo, Prince Regal is shitting on us again, should we do something?"

"NO! WE ARE SWORN TO UPHOLD THE LAW!"

"Listen, it's pretty clear that Regal is taking advantage of our niceties. He's assassinated, like, everyone so far. We should probably do something, even if we don't kill him."

"Well...let's see what he's planning."

"Okay, now Regal has killed me...he has killed me totally. My girlfriend is pregnant and in hiding, my best friends hate me, my mentor loathes me and I am a zoophile, also I am dead. We should do something now."

"...eh."

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-19-2009 12:53:18 PM
Pat Rothfuss is a pretty awesome guy.

He does a column in my school's newspaper and often shows up at local conventions for autograph sessions and such.

I should check out his books sometime.

Greenlit
posted 05-19-2009 02:41:18 PM
I just finished up a re-read of Neuromancer. No surprise, that book is still amazing.

Made the mistake of loaning it to a friend first, but as soon as I get it back I'm going to work on The Templars, by Barbara Frale.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 05-19-2009 03:49:31 PM
Just finished Word War Z.

Much more entertaining than I expected it to be.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-19-2009 04:21:37 PM
quote:
Captain Tarquinn put down Tada! magazine long enough to type:
Just finished Word War Z.

Much more entertaining than I expected it to be.

Oh, you'll love my book collection, then. When you're sober enough to read (between the time you wake up and 2 hours after the time you wake up), you'll have your pick of all sorts of interesting sci-fi and classic post-apocalyptic fiction.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 05-19-2009 05:38:52 PM
I truly enjoyed Name of the Wind. I love Rothfuss's writing style, and while there are some characters I have problems with, such as Denna, or whatever her name is, who seems to have no real point in the story, and the fact that I like the older Kvothe better than his younger self, I found the book, as a whole, a rather good read.

I agree that his ability to retain knowledge seems rather over the top, but I enjoyed the book anyway. And its not like he is a totally perfect character; he has a tendancy for doing childish, stupid things because of his somewhat hot headed nature, if I remember right. (I read this book a few days after if came out, so its been about two years).

I was able to lose myself completely in the book and the style that the story was told. Not many books have me curious from the first chapter, but this one did.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Maradon!
posted 05-19-2009 06:15:57 PM
I have been reading Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series.

In case you missed the abruptly terminated sci-fi series (which wasn't really true to the books anyway), imagine hard-boiled, "Big Sleep" style detective stories.

Except the detective is a wizard.

I absolutely adored the first two books, and I am solidly enjoying the third. I've already bought the rest of the series, that is how serious I am.

The stories are dark enough to be compelling; it keeps you turning the pages. They're also funny enough to be endearing.

Steven Steve
posted 05-19-2009 06:45:44 PM
The last book I read was Chemistry, 3rd ed. by Rob Lewis and Wynne Evans. It was much as expected.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 05-19-2009 10:57:31 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Reading Rainbow:

In case you missed the abruptly terminated sci-fi series (which wasn't really true to the books anyway), imagine hard-boiled, "Big Sleep" style detective stories.

I absolutely adored the first two books, and I am solidly enjoying the third. I've already bought the rest of the series, that is how serious I am.

The stories are dark enough to be compelling; it keeps you turning the pages. They're also funny enough to be endearing.

Those books are awesome. I'm currently on Summer Knight. I didn't really like the one with the werewolves though. It wasn't bad per se, but it didn't hold a candle to the other one (it's book 2 so I had only read the first one at the time).

I also really enjoy Terry Pratchett's Discworld stuff.

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-20-2009 07:32:27 AM
quote:
Azakias had this to say about Duck Tales:

I agree that his ability to retain knowledge seems rather over the top, but I enjoyed the book anyway. And its not like he is a totally perfect character; he has a tendancy for doing childish, stupid things because of his somewhat hot headed nature, if I remember right. (I read this book a few days after if came out, so its been about two years)

He doesn't really have any flaws, though. He is, basically, perfect.

His "hotheadedness" is really just his inability to not speak his mind and call out his latest villain for doing something silly. It's not a flaw if everyone loves him for it. Beyond that, he succeeds instantly at everything he attempts, is well-loved by everyone except the people who are almost exaggeratedly cartoonish villains that try to impede him by lying and cheating.

He's not a character. He's a still life.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 05-20-2009 03:13:53 PM
Neuromancer is definitely a fun read, I recommend it. I've been on a huge history kick recently, so all my non-fiction won't be too fun.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 05-20-2009 04:13:36 PM
quote:
Maradon! spewed forth this undeniable truth:

They actually get moderately darker as the series progresses, and he starts to rely less on favors and "one time" events and more on his growing prowess as both a detective and a wizard.

Also he takes in a hot, young female wizard as a ward.

Delphi Aegis fucked around with this message on 05-20-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 05-20-2009 05:47:24 PM
Its gotten to where I'm buying the Dresden Files when they come out in hardback.

I dont do that often.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 05-20-2009 06:21:32 PM
Any book in which a character's name is Prince Regal is a book that I do not want to read.

What's next? King Kingly the King?

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-20-2009 06:35:46 PM
quote:
Blindy. said:
Any book in which a character's name is Prince Regal is a book that I do not want to read.

What's next? King Kingly the King?

He's actually a well-written character.

Robin Hobb is a very good writer. Just not to good on conclusions and tends to ramble on a bit, which is expected since she's female.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-20-2009 06:58:50 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about (_|_):
He's actually a well-written character.

Robin Hobb is a very good writer. Just not to good on conclusions and tends to ramble on a bit, which is expected since she's female.

Eh. He had a pretty good motive, then she just decided to eff it all and have him be made fanatically loyal. It makes sense in the narrative, but it just doesn't strike me as a good way to end.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 05-21-2009 08:29:07 AM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Duck Tales:
Oh, you'll love my book collection, then. When you're sober enough to read (between the time you wake up and 2 hours after the time you wake up), you'll have your pick of all sorts of interesting sci-fi and classic post-apocalyptic fiction.

No doubt of that. Our taste in books seems to be rather similiar.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 05-22-2009 10:30:39 AM
Ive actually been loving the Enders Game series and looking into buying the complete set of the Gor stories
I remember reading like.. 5 of them when I was younger and have always wanted to have the set to read.
Wiki on Gor

Also the Song of Fire and Ice books are calling to me again. I have been wanting to get these books for my fiance as she would love the story but she is kinda caught up right now in Linda Hamilton and junk.

If you like that kinda supernatural booty call then check out the Nightwalkers series is actually pretty good. Each story has a lot of fun things and some overly sensual emotional sex stuff but the stories are very engrossing (for brain candy of course). Very easy read but the series ties together very well.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: