EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Any reason to keep the xbox?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-17-2009 10:08:12 AM
As the title suggests, I'm trying to think of reasons NOT to sell my xbox. All the good upcoming games (Mass Effect 2, Assassins Creed 2, Overlord 2, yadda yadda yadda I could go on) are coming out on PC too. PC = better graphics, better loading times.

So why should I keep the xbox?

Anything coming out that's xbox only?

Right now it's sat on my desk doing sweet fuck all and is on maybe once a month to check anything new on marketplace.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 05-17-2009 10:10:09 AM
Netflix movies on demand.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-17-2009 10:11:06 AM
quote:
Blindy. said:
Netflix movies on demand.

Unavailable in the UK.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 05-17-2009 12:40:43 PM
I wouldn't dream of getting rid of my 360, but I use it all the time. It's also great when geeky friends come over and we want to play a quick game of CoD4 split screen or the like. I haven't played a PC game in ages.

That said, it's really a personal preference thing. As great as X-Box live is, it's not like the PC doesn't have a rich multiplayer environment. You can use amazon unbox/hulu/nbc.com/fox.com/itunes/etc just as well as you can the video marketplace. The same goes for demos. You have more control over most games for the PC. The PC has more options for mods and dlc.

I use the 360 all the time, so I wouldn't get rid of it. You don't use the 360 much at all and play most of your games on the PC. To me it seems like your answer is simple. Get rid of your 360. Convert the 360 into cash. It's not like you can't buy one in the future if you have a massive change of heart.

ps: Watch The Guild from the independent movies section before you get rid of your 360.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 05-17-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Maradon!
posted 05-17-2009 03:08:02 PM
My console experience consists more of sifting through the muck for gems that I suck the life out of, and not so much of buying every blockbuster that comes down the pike that's guaranteed to have a PC release anyway.

Many of these games just don't get PC releases, either because they aren't big enough or they just aren't a genre that PC gamers buy very much. I've been enjoying the hell out of Lost Odyssey, for example, which is old, never had a PC release, and probably never will because it's a classic JRPG.

Without a console, I'd just never get to play these games.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 05-17-2009 03:49:36 PM
quote:
Maradon! probably says this to all the girls:
My console experience consists more of sifting through the muck for gems that I suck the life out of, and not so much of buying every blockbuster that comes down the pike that's guaranteed to have a PC release anyway.

Many of these games just don't get PC releases, either because they aren't big enough or they just aren't a genre that PC gamers buy very much. I've been enjoying the hell out of Lost Odyssey, for example, which is old, never had a PC release, and probably never will because it's a classic JRPG.

Without a console, I'd just never get to play these games.

I second this.

Another one that will probably never see a PC release that is currently devouring my soul is Tales of Vesperia. I'm playing through it for the second time and its just as good as the first.

Ahem.

I would keep my 360, but I play a lot of the RPG's that wont ever see the PC. Aside from that, most of the games that I have do indeed have PC counterparts, like Fallout and Oblivion.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-17-2009 04:28:24 PM
You do have a point.. I absolutely loved Lost Odyssey and I haven't normally liked JRPG's since FF7.
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 05-17-2009 05:55:44 PM
quote:
Azakias spewed forth this undeniable truth:
I second this.

Another one that will probably never see a PC release that is currently devouring my soul is Tales of Vesperia. I'm playing through it for the second time and its just as good as the first.

Ahem.

I would keep my 360, but I play a lot of the RPG's that wont ever see the PC. Aside from that, most of the games that I have do indeed have PC counterparts, like Fallout and Oblivion.

I bought Tales of Vesperia for my fiance and ill be damned if i have let her play it yet. The game draws you in!

Greenlit
posted 05-17-2009 10:04:41 PM
Really, you guys actually liked Vesperia?

People tell me I got near the end of the game before giving it up but it didn't feel like it; there wasn't ever any plot going on and the gameplay was only marginally better than previous incarnations.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-17-2009 10:12:03 PM
I enjoyed Vesperia for the most part. The ending was a little weak, but it was worth it overall

Also: Microsoft hasn't announced anything for months. They're holding it all for E3. Make your decision after that

Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 05-18-2009 07:53:43 AM

I filled my XB360 hard drive with TV shows from The History Channel via the Movie Marketplace...

Don't know if that feature is available in the UK though...

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-18-2009 09:31:52 AM
quote:
Kegwen said:
Also: Microsoft hasn't announced anything for months. They're holding it all for E3. Make your decision after that

Ah yeah, excellent point. I'll do that.

Skaw
posted 05-18-2009 01:46:44 PM
I keep my 360 because even though games can look better on PC, if they're a huge anticipted release and they come out on a console, more often than not they see a half a year or more before they touch a PC. I'd rather play it now than play it slightly better looking.

There's also significantly less cheating in the multiplayer in most cases. Sure, glitches are usually exploited, but good developers fix that. But you cannot use aimbots and speed hacks on a console.

That likely doesn't apply to you Mort, since you're an antisocial shut in.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 05-18-2009 at 01:48 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-18-2009 02:28:23 PM
Yes, yes I am.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-18-2009 03:37:02 PM
Another problem with many PC ports is that they don't always accommodate for what makes PC gaming work, such as customizable controls or resolutions. I've heard devs are getting better about this, but it still isn't great.
Steven Steve
posted 05-18-2009 04:25:53 PM
Microsoft is going to announce that they don't give a GOD DAMN about PC gaming anymore at E3, though this doesn't mean anything good will become of the Xbox 360

Steven Steve fucked around with this message on 05-18-2009 at 04:26 PM.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-18-2009 05:21:01 PM
Games for Windows Live
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-18-2009 05:25:54 PM
quote:
Sakkra said:
Games for Windows Live

I fucking hate this thing.

My OCD compells me to get as many achievements as possible, but my brain only wants to see the games storyline.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-18-2009 05:32:23 PM
Not to mention that GFWL is buggy as shit, where Xbox Live is pretty great.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 05-18-2009 07:07:05 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about the Spice Girls:
I fucking hate this thing.

My OCD compells me to get as many achievements as possible, but my brain only wants to see the games storyline.

Fallout 3.

GetAchievement #

Saved me the hassle of going through it three fucking times as good, neutral and evil. Already did all the damned quests.

Steven Steve
posted 05-18-2009 09:12:40 PM
quote:
Sakkra had this to say about Captain Planet:
Games for Windows Live

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=206638

Ensemble gone
Flight Simulator team gone
Vista

Microsoft no longer gives a shit

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-19-2009 12:44:31 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Captain Planet:
Fallout 3.

GetAchievement #

Saved me the hassle of going through it three fucking times as good, neutral and evil. Already did all the damned quests.

Did you seriously fucking cheat just to get 500 or 600 e-penis points? Seriously? Are you that sad of a human being? It is one thing to want to get achievements because they're fun to go after, but it is another thing altogether to cheat in 600 points worth of achievements just to up your stupid, meaningless gamerscore.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 05-19-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 05-19-2009 12:49:51 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr was naked while typing this:
Did you seriously fucking cheat just to get 500 or 600 e-penis points? Seriously? Are you that sad of a human being?

As I recall, the whole of fallout 3 in terms of gamer points was like, 800. I had played through the game once, in it's entirety as a completely good and again as a completely evil character, had finished all the quests and gotten (legitimately) all the other achievements save neutral Karma and the "expansion" achievements which, to my knowledge, were not available for the PC version.

Why do you care, again?

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-19-2009 12:51:49 PM
Slapfight!
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-19-2009 01:04:45 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Captain Planet:

Why do you care, again?

Posting in a thread definitely means I care, and I'm not just posting because I'm bored. I really don't give a shit what you do, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to point and laugh when you do something stupid like cheat for worthless GamerScore points.

Or like when you let me win at StarCraft because you thought I was a real girl.

The real question here is why do you care so much about a few hundred stupid points?

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 05-19-2009 at 01:11 PM.

nem-x
posted 05-19-2009 02:03:13 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 05-19-2009 02:20:21 PM
quote:
Bloodsage enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Slapfight!
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Maradon!
posted 05-19-2009 06:47:48 PM
quote:
x--Falaanla MarrO-('-'Q) :
Posting in a thread definitely means I care, and I'm not just posting because I'm bored. I really don't give a shit what you do, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to point and laugh when you do something stupid like cheat for worthless GamerScore points.

The real question here is why do you care so much about a few hundred stupid points?

I don't think anybody anywhere cares about the points, it's just that some people, with varying degrees of severity, abhor being given a list of things and not checking off every box.

Completionism, OCD, whatever you want to call it, it annoys the fuck out of me if I don't get every achievement. If I realize that I can't get every achievement without a ridiculous amount of work, I will sometimes even go so far as to quit that game entirely rather than just play the fun parts.

Steven Steve
posted 05-19-2009 07:02:02 PM
I didn't even play Fallout 3 with my Windows Live account because I don't give a FUCK

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-19-2009 07:21:16 PM
quote:
Steven Steve had this to say about dark elf butts:
I didn't even play Fallout 3 with my Windows Live account because I don't give a FUCK
Skaw
posted 05-19-2009 08:15:42 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis thought about the meaning of life:
Fallout 3.

GetAchievement #

Or you know, you could've saved before Take It Back! and just go on murder sprees.

Addy
posted 05-20-2009 03:05:44 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Optimus Prime:

hahahahahahaha

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: