EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: Have you read Le Petit Prince?
Author
Topic: Le Petit Prince
Gadani
U
posted 04-27-2009 12:18:37 AM
Have you read it?(If not, why not?)
Which language?
Did you like it?
How old were you when you first read it?
Do you still like it?
Gadani
U
posted 04-27-2009 12:19:28 AM
For the record, I've only read the French version but I just ordered the English version and I'm going to read it in a few weeks.
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 04-27-2009 01:21:41 AM
Was read to me by a girlfriend when I was 23 or 24.
"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-27-2009 08:24:37 AM
What?
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 04-27-2009 09:16:27 AM
Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 04-27-2009 10:23:31 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Mortious:
What?

quote:
Vorago had this to say about Duck Tales:
Huh?

You uncultured American swi... oh...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Maradon!
posted 04-27-2009 11:36:49 PM
I saw the cartoon on nickelodeon. Doesn't he catch stars in a net or something?
Zair
The Imp
posted 04-27-2009 11:53:35 PM
Wikipedia makes it sound pretty famous.

I've never heard of it before this thread.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-28-2009 12:25:37 AM
quote:
Zair said:

According to the poll, people who have read this "famous" book are the minority.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-28-2009 12:40:23 AM
quote:
Zair attempted to be funny by writing:
Wikipedia makes it sound pretty famous.

Gadani
U
posted 04-28-2009 01:03:34 AM
I didn't really think that most people on EverCrest had read the book, or even heard of it. I was just curious.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-28-2009 02:03:20 AM
I kinda want to read it now.
Nina
posted 04-28-2009 02:18:53 AM
It's really interesting. I'd read it while I was a kid, although I have the unfair advantage of being french to begin with... But this thread made me want to read it again, and it does have a bit of a je ne sais quoi beyond the kids' book cover.
Number 1 Poster
posted 04-28-2009 11:52:59 AM
haha advantage
Number 1 Poster
posted 04-28-2009 12:03:11 PM
Never miss an opportunity to talk bad about a French guy.
Zair
The Imp
posted 04-28-2009 12:23:31 PM
Canadians have an excuse at least.

We Americans hate on the French because we are told to.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-29-2009 03:38:53 AM
quote:
At least I'm not Zair

woo woo ha ha ha they sure do surrender a lot, don't they?

hey and what about that cheese they're always eating!

am I rite ladies!

Steven Steve
posted 04-29-2009 07:38:06 AM
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 04-29-2009 04:31:11 PM
"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 04-29-2009 05:16:25 PM
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 05-06-2009 08:10:10 PM
I read The Little Prince when I was small but don't remember what age, and I read Le Petit Prince in high school for my French class. It's a good book. I found it more interesting to read in French, of course, because I had to puzzle out what it was saying.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Maradon!
posted 05-07-2009 07:53:13 PM
ahaha chlorophilia
Greenlit
posted 05-07-2009 11:13:36 PM
quote:
How.... Captain Tarquinn.... uughhhhhh:

despite French heritage he was born in the US so it doesn't count

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 05-08-2009 01:51:40 AM
quote:
Zair has funnier quote texts than me:

nah les quebecois are cool ok

ils sont cool, rather.

Maradon!
posted 05-08-2009 06:07:40 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Liam who doth quote:
ils sont cool, rather.

chouette

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 05-08-2009 06:55:11 PM
quote:
Maradon! has funnier quote texts than me:
chouette

toi aussi

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 05-09-2009 10:18:38 AM
I thought France was a pretty friendly place and the food, wine, and architecture were awesome.
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 05-09-2009 12:21:12 PM
quote:
Blindy.'s account was hax0red to write:
I thought France was a pretty friendly place and the food, wine, and architecture were awesome.

But they surrendered early in World War II when the Germans broke through their lines and the British basically abandoned them and fled Europe to the safety of their island and left the French alone against the German army who was attacking them from two sides with the Italians attacking from a third, with 32 divisions against the four that France had guarding the Italian border, with Italy having 5,000 casualties while France only having eight before surrendering due to loses in the battle against the Germans up north.

Which makes all French pussies even though 150,000 French soldiers formed an underground resistance and fought the Germans all through Europe, even capturing the important port of Dakar in West Africa for the Allies and pushing Italy out of most of Libya.

GIVE UP DO YOU THINK THE "A" ON MY HEAD STANDS FOR FRANCE!?!?!?!?!? hi5

Bricktop fucked around with this message on 05-09-2009 at 12:21 PM.

A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Blindy.
posted 05-10-2009 11:48:51 AM
They had this massive line of advanced fortifications that they had spent years building and would have held the German advances pretty well. Their entire defense strategy was built around them. But they didn't go though the black forest, because at the time they were designed it was thought that the black forest would be impassable for any army of a meaningful size.

Guess where Hitler attacked?

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-11-2009 02:04:44 AM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Blindy. squealed:
They had this massive line of advanced fortifications that they had spent years building and would have held the German advances pretty well. Their entire defense strategy was built around them. But they didn't go though the black forest, because at the time they were designed it was thought that the black forest would be impassable for any army of a meaningful size.

That's why static defense is a bad idea: it's just a math problem for your enemy. Hence the rise of deterrence theory to give the bad guys some imponderables along with their calculus.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 05-11-2009 12:11:40 PM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about the Spice Girls:
They had this massive line of advanced fortifications that they had spent years building and would have held the German advances pretty well. Their entire defense strategy was built around them. But they didn't go though the black forestArdennes, because at the time they were designed it was thought that the black forestArdennes would be impassable for any army of a meaningful size.

Wrong forest, fixed that for you. And actually in the later stages of the Battle of France, the German army managed to still crack through the Maginot Line without an excessive amount of trouble. And the attack through the Ardennes wasn't Hitler's idea. It was drawn up by Gen. Erich von Manstein, over the objections of the Army.

Additionally, France really wasn't up for another major war with the Germans. The First World War had left them physically bled white and exhausted. Their miltary philosophy and tactics were firmly rooted in the defensive, which doesn't win wars. They tried fighting a 1940 war at a 1914 tempo with WW I tactics and strategy. They were politically divided to the point that the Right so hated the Left, that they were prepared to deal with the Nazis, rather than see the Left in power. The fulfillment of this was the willingness of Petain, Darlan and others to serve in the puppet Vichy regime.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Blindy.
posted 05-12-2009 07:21:59 AM
Ah thanks for the correction it's been a while since I read that.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: