EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Tea bagging? Really, guys?
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-13-2009 03:25:57 PM
Rachel Maddow clip describing well, the latest form of tax protest.

I mean, sure, it's political and stuff, and I guess a little old, but it's also really, really funny.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-13-2009 03:46:03 PM
The filthy Democrats have gone out of control and won't listen to reason until we give them a Cleveland Steamer.
Maradon!
posted 04-13-2009 03:56:29 PM
These protests are so ridiculous. Don't these people realize that there's an established status quo which says they're wrong?

Let's make jokes about them!

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 04-13-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Anakha's PS3
Pancake
posted 04-13-2009 06:35:23 PM
You know, I am here in the dirty South. And I have never heard about the teabagging. I have heard of Tea parties, and wish to go to one, but the only one in Houston is on the other side of town. Lets just make sure we marginalize, and make sure the tea parties aren't serious or mature by saying Teabag and Teabagging as much as possible.
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 04-13-2009 08:33:39 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Punky Brewster:
These protests are so ridiculous. Don't these people realize that there's an established status quo which says they're wrong?

Let's make jokes about them!

Oh come on, going on talk programs and calling for "Teabagging the Whitheouse" is just low hanging fruit whatever you think about the argument itself.

Maradon!
posted 04-13-2009 10:11:11 PM
I'd like to teabag rachel maddow

She's a lesbian but not a vegetarian

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-14-2009 09:12:04 AM
In other political news... Texas, fuck yea!
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-14-2009 09:19:41 AM
quote:
Maradon! got served! Maradon! got served!
I'd like to teabag rachel maddow

She's a lesbian but not a vegetarian

I'm sure "get teabagged by a cherub-faced lolbertarian" is pretty low on the list of things she wants to do. Actually, aside from Snoota, I don't think that's high on anyone's list, really.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 04-14-2009 09:47:19 AM
quote:
We all got dumber when Naimah said:
In other political news... Texas, fuck yea!

this is hilarious.

they were OK with warrentless wiretapping, imprisonment without charges, ect, ect, but the minute a democrat gets in office "HOLY SHIT FUCK THER TRAMPLN ON MEI FRREDUMS!"

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Blindy
posted 04-14-2009 10:43:48 AM
like my freedom to not see gays get married.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-14-2009 02:01:47 PM
The freedom to see other peoples' freedoms denied.
Maradon!
posted 04-14-2009 03:51:04 PM
[QUOTE]x--BlindyO-('-'Q) :
this is hilarious.

they were OK with warrentless wiretapping, imprisonment without charges, ect, ect
, but the minute a democrat gets in office "HOLY SHIT FUCK THER TRAMPLN ON MEI FRREDUMS!"
[/QUOTE

Oh man let me tell you about this other guy I know and the national deficit!

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 04-14-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 04-14-2009 04:59:43 PM
If he cuts the deficit like he says he will I don't see the problem. Similar economic policy under Clinton saw the only real deficit/debt reduction we've had since forever.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 04-14-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Zair
The Imp
posted 04-14-2009 06:19:12 PM
Don't you guys realize that the important news is the new Presidential puppy?

Are you pro-Portuguese Water Dog or anti-Portuguese Water Dog

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-14-2009 06:25:01 PM
Hold it under water and see if its name holds true.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-15-2009 01:35:40 AM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about Optimus Prime:
If he cuts the deficit like he says he will I don't see the problem. Similar economic policy under Clinton saw the only real deficit/debt reduction we've had since forever.

You mean reduces it to where it is only 20% higher then it was under Bush? There's change for ya.

Blindy.
posted 04-15-2009 07:16:04 AM
It takes more than one fiscal year to turn around a deficit of that magnitude, especially when you're fighting two wars and in a pretty bad recession during your first year.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 04-15-2009 at 07:23 AM.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-15-2009 09:04:40 AM
So turning it around is a euphemism for tripling it right?
Blindy
posted 04-15-2009 10:38:09 AM
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 04-16-2009 01:00:44 AM
Nah, I don't see a problem with Obama's increasing the debt level in the US. /s

Vernaltemptress fucked around with this message on 04-16-2009 at 01:01 AM.

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-16-2009 10:28:37 AM
Well, perhaps the guy before Obama should've taken advantage of the good economic times to run a surplus. Or maybe he could've attended to the country's then only-moderately-shitty infrastructure. I realize that adding redundancy to the power grid, replacing highway bridges, shoring up levees, and improving water quality isn't as sexy as a war, but it still needs to get done. Only now it really needs to get done.

Beer.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-16-2009 08:47:12 PM
quote:

adding redundancy to the power grid

State level.
quote:
replacing highway bridges,

Federal for interstates, state for state highways.
quote:
shoring up levees,

State or local level, preferably local.
quote:
improving water quality

Local.

And it would have been nice if he would have campaigned on I'm going to spend like hell but we have to do it instead of on fiscal responsibility. However, I understand that he's a politician and that is just too much to ask.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-16-2009 10:46:57 PM
and when the local and state governments fail to do those things for decades the answer is not to just keep waiting
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 04-16-2009 11:01:49 PM
Heh, the power grid is a regional proposition. State-level power infrastructure is fairly ridiculous. While we're actually doing relatively okay here in the South (electricity is cost plus), the Northeast is a deregulated market based electric distribution system and the state of it is awful.

Basically if someone ever tells you electricity should be constructed on the state level or in a national centralized system they don't have the slightest clue what they're talking about.

Edit: Also since the voodoo economy is gone I suspect it will be a long time before the federal government runs a balanced budget. Pretty irresponsible of the current generation; they lived high on the tab of future generations.

Noxhil fucked around with this message on 04-16-2009 at 11:04 PM.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-16-2009 11:36:32 PM
States are much closer to regional then the federal government. And there is no reason that states shouldn't cooperate for things that are in their mutual interest, as they do already. That doesn't mean that the federal government should get involved though.
Blindy
posted 04-17-2009 08:38:23 AM
You're right why try to leverage discounts on contracts via the immense spending power of the federal government? Let's let local governments try to get the multi-regional construction corporations to give them a fair shake with their pitiful budgets, because it's only fair!

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-17-2009 09:05:16 AM
If the federal government wasn't the 500 lb gorilla in the room with regards to infrastructure spending then there would be room for smaller contractors to move in and specialize in a small region and offer better price/performance. As it is, to make any money you have to meet federal bidding requirements which reduces the ways for a company to leverage any advantages they may be able to create.
Blindy
posted 04-17-2009 09:09:27 AM
That's a good point, but that is not the solution to the current and urgent issue of our infrastructure sucking ass after nearly a decade of chronic neglect.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-17-2009 09:16:35 AM
And that's because the federal government has soaked up the tax revenues and made it impossible for local governments to correctly address local issues. If a municipality or state recognizes that a bridge is starting to decay they would be able to notice the problem, asses the problem, and solve the problem faster then the federal government would take to notice the problem. That is assuming they had the revenue to perform all of those tasks.

All the while there is the added benefit that tax dollars from California, New York, and Florida aren't paying for a bridge in Alaska.

Blindy
posted 04-17-2009 09:37:12 AM
Improving the infrastructure of our rural areas is one way to become more competitive and create more businesses here in America. Ask Toyota if they would have opened a plant in butt-fuck Kentucky if butt-fuck Kentucky didn't have world class highways, high speed internet access and a power grid that could support it. When infrastructure stops spreading, more and more businesses crowd into the areas with infrastructure, which causes competition over local resources to drive up overhead. Eventually, the cost of growing becomes too great and they decide to grow elsewhere where infrastucture is in place but overhead is lower like China, or India.

If you think of this country as a plot of land, and businesses as crops, it's important to plow the whole thing so that you can spread your corps around and minimize overcrowding. The difference being that once overcrowding occurs, your crops are gonna up themselves and move to a completely different field.

So yeah, I'm not exactly saying the bridge to nowhere was justified, but there are projects in rural areas that everyone loves to gripe and bitch about, and I am saying that most of these are absolutely vital to the ongoing growth of our economy here in America. It is in everyone, including Florida, California, and New York's best interest that these projects are executed.

Blindy fucked around with this message on 04-17-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Number 1 Poster
posted 04-17-2009 12:26:14 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Blindy!
Improving the infrastructure of our rural areas is one way to become more competitive and create more businesses here in America. Ask Toyota if they would have opened a plant in butt-fuck Kentucky if butt-fuck Kentucky didn't have world class highways, high speed internet access and a power grid that could support it. When infrastructure stops spreading, more and more businesses crowd into the areas with infrastructure, which causes competition over local resources to drive up overhead. Eventually, the cost of growing becomes too great and they decide to grow elsewhere where infrastucture is in place but overhead is lower like China, or India.

There's also the people who live in rural areas that like it because it's a rural area. No cars driving by every minute, huge yards, very quiet, great for animals. Not everyone wants to be in New York City.

Blindy
posted 04-17-2009 12:44:30 PM
quote:
A thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters couldn't ever match nem-x is SUPER gay:
There's also the people who live in rural areas that like it because it's a rural area. No cars driving by every minute, huge yards, very quiet, great for animals. Not everyone wants to be in New York City.

Then those people can get their local government to turn down the new business's proposal to buy land from the local government when it's offered.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 04-17-2009 01:44:01 PM
They can't if the federal government gives the business the land. Or gives a railway the land. Or decides to put a water purification plant there. Or decides to put a power plant there. So on and so forth. Federal government is good at the big things like the military. Not so much the small things.

Back to your point of infrastructure drawing business. Many times business will help with the outlays needed to develop the infrastructure they need. Why? Because they can still make money by doing it, and they can work out deals with local municipalities while doing things like that.

Blindy
posted 04-17-2009 02:51:57 PM
Yes in a country that is not ours where the federal government uses it's power to seize land from the local government and then give it to a company or build a water treatment plant (wtc?) that could be a problem, but that's somewhat unconstitutional here.
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 04-17-2009 04:13:35 PM
quote:
Blindy probably says this to all the girls:
Improving the infrastructure of our rural areas is one way to become more competitive and create more businesses here in America. Ask Toyota if they would have opened a plant in butt-fuck Kentucky if butt-fuck Kentucky didn't have world class highways, high speed internet access and a power grid that could support it. When infrastructure stops spreading, more and more businesses crowd into the areas with infrastructure, which causes competition over local resources to drive up overhead.

I guess I've had some intuitive understanding of this but I've never exactly thought about it this way. I wonder if it's more cost effective to over-expand infrastructure and spend too much and also eat excess recurring costs or under-expand it and cause increased overhead and long term growth loss. On the other hand, expansion also increases urban sprawl which leads to higher costs in areas such as transportation.

I want to say I think it's better to over-expand, but the actual analysis seems rather complicated.

Noxhil fucked around with this message on 04-17-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Blindy.
posted 04-17-2009 05:00:14 PM
The trick is to expand infrastructure at the "right rate", which varies based on the state of the economy, the strength of the dollar, the cost of transportation, and about a billion other factors, but would be tested by the average cost of commercial/industrial real estate and acreage. Infrastructure should expand at a rate such that the average cost does not increase at a rate vary far from inflation, unless you're trying to grow your economy, in which case it should expand at a rate that causes the average commercial/industrial real estate value to stay fixed or even to drop.

But it is also important to maintain the infrastructure we have now. We've got interstate bridges failing left and right, interstates with too few lanes to support the traffic that wants to use them, a chronic lack of rail-lanes in some major industrial corridors, almost no commuter rail lines, our power grid is years behind the power grids in Europe, and our telecommunications infrastructure is similarly out of date.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 04-17-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-17-2009 05:13:22 PM
Don't fret, your train network will never be as bad as ours, and we invented the damn things.
Blindy.
posted 04-17-2009 05:14:37 PM
I don't know about that. Ours sucks pretty hard.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-17-2009 07:10:45 PM
Obama sure is tossing a lot of money to various countries for a dude who wants us to tighten our belts.
Skaw
posted 04-17-2009 07:22:05 PM
quote:
Blindy. thought about the meaning of life:
I don't know about that. Ours sucks pretty hard.

It's okay. Shigeru Miyamoto is trying to revitalize the railroad industry.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: