EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Recommend me post-apocalyptic fiction.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-27-2009 10:08:23 AM
Sci-fi, fantasy, whatevski. I feel like reading about worlds crumbling and the survivors desperately clinging to life.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 03-27-2009 11:58:35 AM
Have you read World War Z? If not do so now. NOW.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 03-27-2009 04:57:19 PM
quote:
Blindy got a whole lot of nerve:
Have you read World War Z? If not do so now. NOW.

that was actually what i came here to post. I liked it!

Maradon!
posted 03-28-2009 07:30:51 PM
Have you read Stephen King's Dark Tower series?

It's pretty uniquely post-apocalyptic. It involves the decline of not just one world, but an entire multi-universe reality.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 03-28-2009 10:28:37 PM
I enjoyed The Postman by David Brin quite a bit. Beats the hell out of the movie.
CBTao
Pancake
posted 03-29-2009 04:23:59 AM
quote:
Maradon! stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

It's pretty uniquely post-apocalyptic. It involves the decline of not just one world, but an entire multi-universe reality.

After a lot of discussion with some other fans, I've decided that the first 3 are fucking incredible, and it starts to go right down the shitter at Wizard and Glass.

Maradon!
posted 03-29-2009 10:26:20 AM
quote:
x--CBTaoO-('-'Q) :
After a lot of discussion with some other fans, I've decided that the first 3 are fucking incredible, and it starts to go right down the shitter at Wizard and Glass.

Yeah, I agree. The rest of them are still good reading, but you do it mainly just to see where the plot goes.

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-29-2009 04:08:22 PM
I read World War Z and didn't really like it.

It was kind of neat, but I'd have preferred if it followed a character or group of characters.

Loaned it to Rodent King though, and he liked it. Guess I'm in the minority, so give it a shot.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 03-29-2009 04:46:03 PM
quote:
Maradon! wrote this stupid crap:

'Black' is the only King novel I've read. Well one-third of it. Made me hate King and his work.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
CBTao
Pancake
posted 03-29-2009 04:49:49 PM
quote:
Captain Tarquinn's account was hax0red to write:
'Black' is the only King novel I've read. Well one-third of it. Made me hate King and his work.

If you mean Black House, that was also cowritten by Peter Straub.

if you want a good slice of Stephen King, go for the Stand, and It.

Otherwise that would be like judging Quentin Tarintino for Grindhouse instead of of Pulp Fiction.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 03-29-2009 04:56:51 PM
quote:
CBTao had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
If you mean Black House, that was also cowritten by Peter Straub.

Actually, I mean 'The Gunslinger' which for some reason has been renamed 'Schwarz' (Black) in Germany.

Captain Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 03-29-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 04-01-2009 03:29:14 PM
The Road by Cormac Mccarthy is pretty good. Won the Pulitzer, which usually just means a book is boring. But it was actually pretty good.

If you're up for a super-long, but good, read, then pick up The Stand by Stephen King. I haven't read the Dark Tower series, so I can't compare it, but I do know that I really liked The Stand when I read it.

World War Z is good; I will admit, I only listened to the audio book. It was a very well produced audio book, with quite a large cast (Including Mark Hamil!), and it's a pretty cheap pickup, unlike most audio books (that's why I ended up picking it up.)

Now I must, as always, plug Philip K. Dick. 90% of his novels are post-apocalyptic in some way, but check out his short story Second Variety, or his novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Blade Runner). The latter is probably less post-apocalyptic, but might qualify.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 04-04-2009 05:54:30 AM
The Bible's good post-apocalyptic fiction
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 04-04-2009 06:31:07 PM
quote:
Alek must think they're pretty smart:
The Bible's good post-apocalyptic fiction

I see that you did there, and I approve.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 04-04-2009 06:31:29 PM
Except for the fact that the Bible is horribly boring and poorly written.
Maradon!
posted 04-04-2009 08:43:06 PM
The bits with Jesus are pretty cool.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-04-2009 09:17:15 PM
You've got to read the Extreme Testament.

You can't, of course, because you have to be, like, insane holy.

I can, though.

Steven Steve
posted 04-04-2009 11:46:27 PM
Can you believe someone sat down and wrote all that shit

I guess it took a few hundred years, but still

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Zair
The Imp
posted 04-05-2009 02:04:20 AM
Jesus had some good ideas. Tolstoy had the right idea in his Gospel: prune out all the miracles and supernatural and just focus on his word.

Unfortunately, that leaves you with a guy that calls for strict pacifism in all circumstances. Not a lot of people (besides Quakers) are willing to imitate that.

Zair fucked around with this message on 04-05-2009 at 02:08 AM.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 04-06-2009 02:47:53 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Knight Rider:
You've got to read the Extreme Testament.

You can't, of course, because you have to be, like, insane holy.

I can, though.

I'll show them an exerpt from the Extreme Testament:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6vZRUSPDhU

Alek fucked around with this message on 04-06-2009 at 02:49 PM.

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 04-06-2009 04:51:33 PM
Here's a badass piece of concept art, by Daniel LuVisi, depicting the Battle of Yonkers for the film adaptation of WWZ (It's directed by the same dude who directed Quantum of Solace, ok)

Steven Steve
posted 04-06-2009 05:13:22 PM
Max Brooks = faggots
Marc Forster = faggots
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 04-07-2009 08:55:22 AM
quote:
Steven Steve's fortune cookie read:
Max Brooks = faggots
Marc Forster = faggots

Max Brooks = Marc Forster?

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-07-2009 09:23:57 AM
So far, only Gee and Kinanik have recommended something I haven't already read. Frankly, I expected more. I mean, I figured Steve would've read a lot, just so he has an idea of what the few survivors will endure after he transforms and unleashes his full radiance upon the world. We will all weep bloody tears of joy just before we're vaporized.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 04-07-2009 09:53:07 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Karnaj was all like:
So far, only Gee and Kinanik have recommended something I haven't already read. Frankly, I expected more.

The only thing I have read that comes even close (not very close) to "post-apocalyptic fiction", are the Legacy of the Aldenata books by John Ringo. It's military sci-fi dealing with an alien invasion of Earth. Although I really enjoyed the books, I wouldn't call it good literature.

Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 04-07-2009 10:07:01 AM
It's not entirely post-apocalyptic but there's the Neuromancer trilogy.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: