EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Computer cases
Kermitov 2
Pancake
posted 03-22-2009 03:27:06 PM
So, I've been keeping this system going for a few months now and little by little it's beginning to fail. I built the current system 5 or 6 years ago, but the case is around 10 years old, the power supply failed at some point last year and I bought a cheap-o one to keep it going for a while. It's time to upgrade... and since nearly everything has changed since then I'll be building everything new again.

I pretty much have everything picked out, the one thing that's bothering me is the case.

I don't overclock.

I'm not a hardcore gamer but I do enjoy gaming sometimes so I'll be putting in a nice video card and stuff like that.

I don't need something that looks like a weapons storage locker.

I don't want 22 inch spinnaz with underbody neons and Vtec yo... er... I mean giant ridiculous cooling fans. I don't really mind if the fans have LED's in them but nothing crazy.

I'd rather it be ultra quiet than look "gangsta." The computer is in my room so the quieter the better.

I do use aftermarket heatsinks and cooling fans, I like my stuff to last a long time because I usually don't have much money to spend on computer parts. Factory heatsinks are usually barely adequate.

I want a case that is easy to clean... the case I have is kind of a pain in the ass, at the time I didn't seem to mind but now... all the ridges and gaps and shit in the front of it just collect dust.

Front cover plugs for headphones and stuff like that would be nice, but aren't specifically necessary.

Last but not least, I want something that will last.

Price is not a real big issue, I'd rather pay more for the perfect case.... within reason of course.

So what's the opinion of the locals?

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 03-22-2009 04:05:20 PM
I love my Antec P180.

They also come in some other flavors:

Mini-Tower

P182 I don't know what the difference is between this and the P180.

For all of them you have to buy a separate power supply. I'd recommend one of the Antec ones listed to work with the case since the power supply sits at the bottom in a separate area.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 03-22-2009 04:10:12 PM
quote:
Dr. Gee had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
I love my Antec P180.

Greenlit
posted 03-22-2009 04:27:11 PM
Loving my P180 as well.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 03-22-2009 04:42:07 PM
I've got a Cooler Master Centurion and it's pretty nice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Cooler+master+centurion&x=0&y=0

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 03-22-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-22-2009 04:48:13 PM
Just don't buy a Thermaltake.

Big, gaudy, ugly as fuck and people still buy them. Stupid people with no sense of taste.

Nina
posted 03-22-2009 06:56:22 PM
It has wheels. They see me rollin', they hatin'.

Kermitov 2
Pancake
posted 03-22-2009 07:04:56 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions.

I like the color of the P-182 (seems to be the only difference)

I like the features of the Coolermaster

I like the wheels!

Are "modular" power supplies *really* as cool as I think they are?

Greenlit
posted 03-22-2009 09:48:24 PM
They are.
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 03-23-2009 10:30:05 AM
Meh.

If you don't have a window or a really cramped case, not really.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: